Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 11:06 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,123,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez8 View Post
BLS.gov

Average median (across all industries)
Huge website. Which link?

Considering the lower Consumer Price Index and the fact there is no state income taxes which run as much as 8.97% in New Jersey, 13.3% in California and 9.9% in Oregon any differences are minimal.

The median property tax in Florida is $1,773.00 per year for a home worth the median value of $182,400.00.

In FL 3.31% goes to property tax. In New York state 5.02% of your income goes to property tax.
If you are on Long Island (where a lot of FL transplants come from) the average yearly property tax paid by Nassau County residents amounts to about 8.26% of their yearly income.

NY State income tax runs 6.65% for a tax bracket of $79,600-$425,000 yearly income. FL is zero.

If you live in NYC the income tax rates begin at 2.907% and increase up to 3.876%.
Most people can count on paying about 3.6%.

NY state has the highest electricity cost in the continental U.S., the 2nd highest car insurance rates.

A toll bridge from Queens to the Bronx is $6.50 each way.

The Cost of Living differences: $100k a year salary in NYC equals $41k in Tampa.

Price differences NYC to Tampa:

In Tampa..........
Groceries27% less
Housing83% less
Utilities24% less
Transportation18% less
Health Care19% less

Do the math. Millions already have and that is why they relocate to FL where its cheaper to live, the taxes are lower, the weather is better.... etc.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:08 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,123,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogler View Post
Why do you have to quote his entire series of replies just to ask him a one-sentence reply? So annoying.
WTF are u talking about??

Old 07-23-2015, 11:18 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogler View Post
Is it human nature to launch out of the gate with thinly-veiled jabs at people who (factually) point out that it's hot down here in summer, or folks who point out FL's drawbacks? I'm kind of surprised that some people are taken aback at the criticism aimed at the OP, when it was he who in fact set the tone of the thread. Reap whatcha sow.
It must be. Otherwise why would you do it? And if you think it's ok to do so, using the OP's "tone" as a excuse, why are you that defensive about it?

As far as "taken aback" by such behavior, that is hardly the case, comments on a forum don't affect my life one way or the other.
Seems to me anyone over the age of 4 knows that no matter where one chooses to live, life has its goods and bads. I would imagine the OP is aware that Florida is hot in the summer, and like anywhere else has drawbacks, and I would bet he plans to deal with the drawbacks just as adults do anywhere they live. He just chooses to focus on the positives he has found right now, and why not? You think he should focus on the negatives like you do?

Old 07-23-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderingaboutstuff View Post
Then give us some examples of a "Paradise" to you. If you don't think the barrier island beaches on the coast of Florida are paradise, then what is? Montreal? Patagonia? Cleveland?

LOL, Detroit, Camden, NJ, Baltimore........

Old 07-23-2015, 11:31 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,667,412 times
A few things:

1. Yeah, the roads are better in Florida, to be certain. It is always a shock going both ways when I see how nice the pavement is everywhere. Pretty great. However, I do think it evens out by the fact that I'm not sure Florida roads are quite built for the population, when combined with not so great public transport. The NE (and parts of the MW) has awesome public transit. The other midwest cities road systems were built to sustain much larger populations than they actually do now, so therefore traffic is minimal. Because of that, infrastructure is better, but also worse.

2. 9 months is A BIT of an exaggeration. So is 3 months, in the other direction. I'd say it's something more close to 6-6 (or 6-5, with April up for grabs) in many of the northern cities at least IMO. So I guess it depends on whether you'd be blasted by heat or humidity. If I was someone who was content just "relaxing/laying around" or just working out at a gym, then I think I'd likely prefer Florida weather, even though I do like the different look things have at every time of year up north. Icy cold winter weather for short term exposure, IE walking out to car, brushing off, building to building etc., is more unpleasant and requires more preparation than 90* however uncomfortable that may be. But for sustained outdoor activity and for those willing to prepare, I'd guess there's some even up north who consider the winter months among their favorites because of skiing, snowshoeing, etc.

3. I suppose I see what you all are coming from now with the other threads/repetitiveness. But I still don't believe that remarks were meant to be inflammatory, in the way that they might be if he had posted them in the Buffalo forum, talking about how "great" his experiences were compared to theirs.

I do hope that he continues to enjoy his time here.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:31 AM

45 posts, read 72,300 times
After your week's experience in Florida, it sounds like you are enjoying a nice vacation! That's great!

Old 07-23-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
One negative thing as the OP wants to hear something negative. My Palm Trees have to be trimmed and the beaches that need to be removed don't automatically fall off.

I don't think NY has that issue.
They don't have to trim trees in NY???? Gee, maybe they don't have to mow lawns, either!

Old 07-23-2015, 11:42 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
They don't have to trim trees in NY???? Gee, maybe they don't have to mow lawns, either!
Of course they trim trees in NY, when it's necessary or is a danger for some reason. The areas that I personally lived in in Florida were just concrete jungles... with palm trees "strategically" placed every so many intersections. Feels pretty unnatural to me lol

Being back home gives me a new appreciation to all of the thousands of green trees everywhere (SHADE!!!). Just something small I noticed when comparing the two areas (that is Pinellas County vs New Haven County)

Old 07-23-2015, 11:43 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,649,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I have seen them trimmed when they interfere with power lines...many old trees during Sandy took out power lines from the city to Long Island...I guess the poster meant there is a natural thinning of the herd tree wise in NY?...but they grow so slowly I don't think I ever had a tree cut on my property...funny never thought about it till now...but had lawn guy...paid a monthly fee and he would cut lawn,remove leaves and shovel snow...

Old 07-23-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez8 View Post
Thats what happens to transplants who come to FL. FL really has nothing to offer other than the weather, so they use that as a selling point to convince themselves it was the right thing to do.

Obviously that is YOUR perspective, and you are entitled to it. Others have much different perspectives.

Obviously if you dislike FL that much you've moved elsewhere more to your liking. Or are making plans to do so. I am assuming you've lived in FL because surely you wouldn't pass your perspectives on the state along as "fact" based solely on what you have "heard" about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay