Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 03:09 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,347,121 times

Advertisements

They had to exit Ft. Lauderdale, could easily happen to Tampa now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 04:17 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,841,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
They had to exit Ft. Lauderdale, could easily happen to Tampa now.
I am unaware of any particular situation, other than taxi groups not liking them.

Not sure I would accept an uber ride, though. Maybe I am just behind the times now.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I am unaware of any particular situation, other than taxi groups not liking them.

Not sure I would accept an uber ride, though. Maybe I am just behind the times now.
Hillsborough regulators ask judge to shut down Uber | Tampa Bay Times

They might have to pull out of Hillsborough. That is the situation. Uber is a great resource to have.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:40 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,583,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post

You're not, I wouldn't either. Too sketchy.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Sketchy how? I certainly wouldn't be caught taking a taxi. Way too expensive and inconvenient.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:19 PM

7,727 posts, read 6,291,703 times
Are ALL the Uber cars/drivers legally licensed AND insured? I haven't ridden in a taxi in 20 years, so it is not at all important to me.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,403 times
The properly insured and a federal fingerprinted background check is why they are being chased out. Florida statutes states that any vehicle which is used to transport people or goods for compensation is a vehicle for hire. This, therefore requires the owner of the vehicle to not only register it with the state as a for hire vehicle (very different taxes) but must also carry very specific insurances on the vehicle. Uber and Lyft drivers are not carrying these insurance policies, as required by law. This not only puts the driver and their passengers at risk in the event of an accident, but also puts the general public at risk as well. Most standard private vehicle insurance companies do not cover vehicles used for-hire and, in numerous cases all across the U.S. these insurance claims are being denied by the insurance companies. This leaves any victims uncovered.

Yes uber and Lyft have insurance policies that cover the passengers in an accident, however the Internet is full of complaints where coverage was denied saying the driver either never picked up the passenger or was on an unauthorized call. However, the vehicle doesn't have continuous insurance coverage, to the minimum limits required, as required by law.

Additionally, the background checks that these companies at preforming are the basic equivalent of googling someone's name. Not thorough at all.

Hillsborough has tried numerous times to get Uber and Lyft to simply comply with the insurance requirements, the vehicle inspections as required in this county and with the federal background check as required in this county. Their failure to comply in any way is why this had to go to court.

It's public safety, plain and simple.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:33 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,090,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Ha, you don't know what you are talking about...so just sit this one out.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:48 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,090,399 times
I've stated this other places online and probably here before in a different thread.

Taxi companies are in uproar and have their lobbyists beating on the doors of their government croanies because someone has come out with a more efficient, cheaper, and simply better alternative to the taxi. The taxi is a dinosaur and needs to die out, they have rode on the back of a monopoly in most areas of the US while facing little competition and incentive to improve their business model.

We live in a free market society- if someone does it better at a cheaper cost to customers, you are (and should be) finished. Anyone who has taken a ride with an Uber or Lyft can attest to how the experience is versus a Taxi. If not, it wouldn't be this big of a deal.

I know tons of people who never took cabs before...but now, all they do is Uber everywhere on the weekends. It is *that* easy, convenient, and cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if it has decreased the amount of DUIs in cities that provide ridesharing like Uber and Lyft...that data would be interesting, but again probably detrimental to the "business model" of local police departments and cities that get major revenue from those DUIs.

Background checks? Uber and Lyft go through them. Insurance? Each company carries a large policy more than necessary. Personal driver insurance? Many large insurance companies are even adding "rideshare policies" to their repertoire now. "Internet is full of complaints" where incidents happened that screwed over the passenger? Rarely do you see both sides to those stories and even IF something didn't work out to the customers advantage, the reports are like sand on a playground on the big scheme of things. If you don't think a taxi company won't try to wiggle out of an insurance claim, you are lying to yourself.

This is all about taxi companies trying to push enforcement of government regulation and taxation where it no longer belongs ALL BECAUSE they are losing out.

Uber and Lyft are the best thing to happen to public transportation ESPECIALLY for locations that need it as badly as the Tampa Bay area. I can get from downtown Tampa to the beach for $29 on a good day...you can't get to the airport from downtown for that in a taxi. The cars are clean, the drivers are nice and courteous, there is no cash needed, and the experience is what it should be- I know when to expect the driver and who is picking me up. A friend of mine left their cell phone in a seat last weekend...got in touch with the driver hours later and he came back to drop it off, no charge. In a cab? Good luck.

On the contrary, I can call a cab and wait 10 minutes...or 45 minutes (who knows) while calling a rude dispatcher trying to see what is taking so long. The driver (more times than not) is rude/apathetic, has a smelly/unkempt car, likely to take a long scenic route, and suddenly "my credit card machine is broke, but I can drive you to an ATM."

Sorry for the rant, but if you have taken an Uber or Lyft before...I don't see how you can be against it. The only argument I can begin to debate, and the ultra conservative come with this, is the taxation/licensing angle...but again, I don't believe it is necessary anymore and we live in a progressive society and our laws should adapt when needed.

Even if Uber or Lyft agree to some kind of licensing, taxis are dead. Blockbuster didn't whine when Netflix took over.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:34 PM

135 posts, read 137,570 times
It's pretty clear that taxi lobbyists are the reason Uber has hit so many "walls." Little guy comes forward with a cheaper, more efficient way to take folks from a to b and the taxi drivers want to muscle them out so they can continue to provide substandard, overpriced service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay