Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 11:06 AM

135 posts, read 138,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
East Hillsborough up and coming? I had the impression that it was trending downward, albeit slowly. One thing, and one thing only, is up and coming: Downtown Tampa.
You should see the Westshore/Int'l Plaza area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 12:42 PM

745 posts, read 800,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
East Hillsborough up and coming? I had the impression that it was trending downward, albeit slowly. One thing, and one thing only, is up and coming: Downtown Tampa.
The area around Westchase is blowing up too... lots of higher end condos and apartments being built up

Quote:
I could envision the Kennedy Blvd area eventually gentrifying.
And what would you do with the current residents?

Quote:
It would be so easy: just expand Plant High School's attendance zone so that the zone goes up to 275.
There's no way the school board would go for that. Plant's attendance zone is purposely where it is, to exclude certain individuals (read: minorities) in poor areas. Robinson High is for all of "those people"...

You think I am joking?

Quote:
There is currently a very small piece of land that is excluded. Expand the school to handle the new students.
Um, no... Plant High is Tampa's little sacred cow school for the white, culturally and economically elite, and it will always be that way. It's by design...

Quote:
We spend billions on loony and untested new educational ideas. Why not spend a small amount of money to expand a school that WORKS? That's a safe investment. Property values will instantly shoot up north of Kennedy and within 5 years, the free market would have already transformed the Kennedy Blvd area.
Plant High "works", because the kids have a means to exceed. And parents who care. The school board, and more importantly, the parents of kids who go there are not going to let the formula get messed up

It might sound bad, but it's true... you start letting riff raff from South of Gandy, or West of Manhattan, or North of Kennedy in there, and watch those scores drop like a rock, and watch all sorts of fun intro-cultural stuff happen

Old 07-27-2015, 02:52 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
I wouldn't deign to tell them what to do with their windfall profits after they sell into the boom. This is a free country and they can do what they wish.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:11 PM

6,620 posts, read 5,005,482 times
Quote:
The area around Westchase is blowing up too... lots of higher end condos and apartments being built up

There's no way the school board would go for that. Plant's attendance zone is purposely where it is, to exclude certain individuals (read: minorities) in poor areas. Robinson High is for all of "those people"...

You think I am joking?

Um, no... Plant High is Tampa's little sacred cow school for the white, culturally and economically elite, and it will always be that way. It's by design...

Plant High "works", because the kids have a means to exceed. And parents who care. The school board, and more importantly, the parents of kids who go there are not going to let the formula get messed up

It might sound bad, but it's true... you start letting riff raff from South of Gandy, or West of Manhattan, or North of Kennedy in there, and watch those scores drop like a rock, and watch all sorts of fun intro-cultural stuff happen
The boundaries already go to up to Cass St, that area has been gentrifying, schools like Mitchell Elementary, Wilson middle, Gorrie have a nice mix of minority lower income students from that area and they have kept their high ratings. I live in Plant boundaries and my kid goes to Robinson albeit the IB program, but there is nothing wrong with that school.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:13 PM

6,620 posts, read 5,005,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogler View Post
You should see the Westshore/Int'l Plaza area.
heh, Carver city still Carver city there is a couple of apartment buildings around it but it is still rough around the edges.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:39 PM

101 posts, read 123,606 times
Quote:
I would much rather live in Dover than Pasco County...

One thing about the Dover / Seffner area...

There are a lot of rednecks out there, there also seem to be a high percentage of latinos that may or may not be legally here. Some of them are trainsients / migrant farmers picking the fields, crime seems to be an issue in Dover / parts of Eastern Valrico because of this. South Hillsborough as well (think Ruskin and points South)

But it's like, pick your poison, illegals and rednecks (Dover) or meth addicted scumbags (Pasco)
Yea while the vibe in Dover isnt the best, its still better than Pasco I'd say. Probably more paranoid folks in Pasco too who feel guarded because of their problems I am thinking.

I will rate Dover like this: Better than Gibsonton, maybe a tie with Ruskin, better than Pasco. Worse than Riverview/Brandon and parts of Valrico or Seffner. Seffner also does not seem to have the meth problem Pasco does either. It seems like a more normal redneck town than anything with nearly a lower/middle class. Honest population overall it strikes me as.

Theres a guy I know who moved out to Pasco. Hes not a druggy but he chose it because its mostly white and not near St Pete but even then I told him I still wouldn't wanna go out there. It seems you have many other issues despite the fact you're close to the beach.

You could do worse than Dover but I still may be waiting for the right time to either get to Riverview and rent somewhere or Bradenton to get closer to my stepdad.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:47 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,522,572 times
Some people look at Seffner different
Urban Dictionary: Seffner

Old 07-27-2015, 04:00 PM

101 posts, read 123,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
Some people look at Seffner different
Urban Dictionary: Seffner
I saw that, I might have even believed it too but then I saw Seffner more up close and it seems like its lower/middle but more normal, nothing out of wack. Maybe rednecks, mexicans, a lesser Valrico maybe. Many dive bars though.. Maybe I should go to Seffner Tiki Hut? lol. Maybe the Scoreboard? I already stopped at One Night Stand on 60.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:23 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,522,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJohn1 View Post
I saw that, I might have even believed it too but then I saw Seffner more up close and it seems like its lower/middle but more normal, nothing out of wack. Maybe rednecks, mexicans, a lesser Valrico maybe. Many dive bars though.. Maybe I should go to Seffner Tiki Hut? lol. Maybe the Scoreboard? I already stopped at One Night Stand on 60.
I agree, I guess Seffner's drug problem is no better/worse than other areas around here. I moved from Tampa to Lakeland last year and Polk Co. has been known to be or at least used to be "meth capitol of the world" but I just don't see it (not that I'm lookin for it).

Old 09-24-2015, 03:30 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,087,763 times
Never heard of Dover area and I have been in Tampa for 5 years. Grew up in Orlando and Miami and never heard of South Tampa till I moved here. Lived in South Tampa a little south of Euclid and had a break in. In the 6 years I lived in Miami and all over that city never had a similar situation. South Tampa is not really up and coming area. It's established old money near some not so nice areas. Up and coming is more by International Mall area from what I see. Huge condos going up near there. And they are trying again with Channelside. The outlying hillsborough I guess have a lot of family housing projects? Idk...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay