Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 07:53 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
There is no location here which would help the team. Location is not the major problem.

The Patriots play out in the middle of nowhere. Most people have to drive a good distance to get there, yet they sell out every game.
Football once a week, baseball is a different animal, last I checked the red Sox are in the middle of Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 08:15 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Many people have made good points. I do also have to say that location is not the main problem. The stadium is just poor, I think a better quality one would help.

That said, I agree with the idea that it should be just north of Tampa U, add vibrancy to the city. This is where the old State Fairgrounds used to be, and it was a fabulous addition to downtown at the time. Not to mention, centrally located and close to everything. JMO

Old 08-16-2015, 08:24 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
Quote:
There is no location here which would help the team. Location is not the major problem.

The Patriots play out in the middle of nowhere. Most people have to drive a good distance to get there, yet they sell out every game.

How many home games Patriots versus home games Rays? Answer: 8 home games in football compare to 81 bb home games every season.

Football is played on Sundays, almost exclusively while bb games are usually evening, weekdays.

Much harder to fill 10 times the number of season seats, bb v. football, especially when most are played on workdays.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Maybe its time to just sell the team to a city that can put more butts in the seats.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:21 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Maybe its time to just sell the team to a city that can put more butts in the seats.
^ This. It's just too transient here.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:22 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
How many home games Patriots versus home games Rays? Answer: 8 home games in football compare to 81 bb home games every season.

Football is played on Sundays, almost exclusively while bb games are usually evening, weekdays.

Much harder to fill 10 times the number of season seats, bb v. football, especially when most are played on workdays.
Very valid points, but the current location, while not ideal, is nowhere close to what the real problem is.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:27 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
Yes, perhaps the Rays need to find a larger city to saddle with all their issues. RARELY does a sports franchise work out financially well for anyone other than the team owner and league.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:43 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
Quote:
I agree. I actually think the current location is pretty good being so close to downtown St. Pete. The Trop is another story though. I'm not sure it would be worth the risk to build a new stadium given the attendance history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I think this has been talked about, iirc.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:51 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
I think with the Bucs I'm not sure that location is that important relative to NFL stadiums . If anything, being in an urban setting may hurt attendance more since people may decide to not even go in if the team isn't in contention.

For baseball, I concur that location is important. There may be hope for TB yet , but they have to set them up with something that looks good. I think as far as stadiums/franchises go, I think they help to elevate the profile of a city in a way that isn't quite measurable on a national level. And a well placed stadium can make a difference within a downtown. Perfect proof of this would be Orlando with the Magic, Memphis with the Grizzlies and OKC with the Thunder.

I really really hope they do not move, as having an MLB (and NHL) team in Tampa is a major reason why the area in general closes the gap between Orlsndo and Tampa as places to live. When over here I will support both products.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:56 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
There's a reason why the Lightning can sell out a stadium and the Rays can't... And it's all about location. For as empty as Channelside is, at least it's there after a game. After a Bucs or Rays game, well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay