Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 04:25 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,749,334 times

Advertisements

The way I see it, the Rays new stadium should be built in the following area between Gandy and Feather Sound. The stadium would sit just north of 116th Ave N. Between Martin Luther King Jr St N and 4th St N. Fans would have easy access from all over. Plus it's still inside St. Petersburg.

250,000 people live inside the city of St. Petersburg and they still can't fill the stadium each day. I feel the new location is close enough, that people who live or work in south Tampa area of Interstate 275 and Gandy Blvd west would not mind a 10 minute ride into Pinellas County to see a game or any other event at the stadium.
Attached Thumbnails
I have an idea for a new Rays stadium that may be better for Tampa Bay.-new-stadium.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 07:43 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
Don't deny that. However, for something that happens as frequently as a baseball game I think it is nice to have the mass of people/local businesses around 81 days a year. I agree it isn't working that well with St. Pete, but would it work better with Tampa? Possibly, but the Bucs are struggling way more than any NFL franchise. I think somehow enhancing the Tropicana exprirence might be nice also though, like even creating windows in the outfield. I see your perspective though!

My ideal might be a stadium right north of University of Tampa right across the river, or as part of the new portion of Channelside. I like the idea of using it to add vibrancy to the city .

Old 08-15-2015, 07:45 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
Don't deny that. However, for something that happens as frequently as a baseball game I think it is nice to have the mass of people/local businesses around 81 days a year. I agree it isn't working that well with St. Pete, but would it work better with Tampa? Possibly, but the Bucs are struggling way more than any NFL franchise. I think somehow enhancing the Tropicana exprirence might be nice also though, like even creating windows in the outfield. I see your perspective though!
Going to the Trop isn't a baseball experience. It doesn't even feel like you're at a baseball game. We need a new stadium badly. Somewhere, anywhere.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:46 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
Well I think even though Marlins Park is indoors, it looks and feels much, much better. Would demolishing/remodeling the outfield be an option?

Old 08-15-2015, 07:48 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Well I think even though Marlins Park is indoors, it looks and feels much, much better. Would demolishing/remodeling the outfield be an option?
An indoor park can definitely work, the Trop was just made so cheaply that it doesn't feel like a proper baseball experience. Our bullpen is on the field for crying out loud. I actually like the improvements they have made to the Trop, that viewing deck in center field is pretty cool. But at this point they just really need a new ballpark.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:58 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
That looks like it may be a bit wet for a stadium.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:23 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Quote:
Possibly, but the Bucs are struggling way more than any NFL franchise.
This is probably the weakest argument for a baseball stadium in Tampa. The biggest problem with the Bucs is, their stadium isn't in any spot convenient to anyone. Hell, just north of the stadium isn't even in the city anymore. There's absolutely NOTHING around the stadium to make people want to travel that far. And it's not like it's just a stadium there. There's Yankee's Stadium across the street, then there's HCC across the street... And there's no bars nearby, there's no food nearby (unless you really want Panera), and there's no entertainment nearby (unless you feel like bringing your child to the Pink Pony is a good idea). The Bucs did it to themselves. It's a terrible location. If a baseball stadium were to go in the heart of Channelside, or even close to it, they'd be in a much better spot.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
As the name of the team is Tampa Bay why not just build a new stadium in the bay itself. Also could be a new idea for that St Pete pier /
http://www.sportsfeatures.com/PressP...img2_51629.jpg

PS. the pic is a proposed sports stadium in Qatar.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:51 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
Until there's mass transit here, getting to ANY stadium location is tedious. Many folks have tough commutes in our area and the last thing they want to do after work is get back in the car and head out into traffic again for a 7:30PM game.

Instead of local pols making deals with sport franchises for a stadium, that BTW always screws the locality, they should be working on mass transit that initially connects DTSP, TPA, the Tampa business core and either Trop Field or wherever a new stadium is planned.

Building another stadium that requires driving and acres of parking lots is just a bad, wasteful, doomed idea.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:37 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
There is no location here which would help the team. Location is not the major problem.

The Patriots play out in the middle of nowhere. Most people have to drive a good distance to get there, yet they sell out every game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay