Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 09:20 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigblueHI View Post
Thanks for all the comments. Very helpful.

Sounds like Seminole Heights has the flavour but may not be quite gentrified enough for us (I could probably handle it, but my fiancé.. Not so much). Don't want her to feel trapped at home. oh well, I probably sound like a hipster now.

I definitely think South Tampa is probably the best choice for us, especially if we can find the right property (since a smaller, more expensive home works for us). Is the Palma Ceia area pretty good? I have the impression that South Tampa overall is pretty good, but that the more central/eastern ish areas are best. How different are the areas of South Tampa?

Thoughts on Carrollwood? Saw a lot of homes in the area that appealed but figure there must be some downside.

As for St Pete, it initially appealed but it looked like crime was bad and I'm worried about backups on the bridge. Unfounded?

Appreciate all the input!
Palma Ceia is excellent, great community, lots of young families and great schools. In general if you look inside of Plant's High school boundaries you are in a good neighborhood, the nicest parts of South Tampa to me is probably Historic Hyde Park, then the neighborhoods immediately south of them New suburb beautiful, Palma Ceia, Bayshore Beautiful, Golfview. On the West side Beach Park is really nice, its all a matter of preference and budget but overall is all nice, some parts you will have to deal with some flooding during the rainy season but you will figure out what roads to avoid.
I also think NE St pete will work you will have to a toll to get to downtown but most of the times it would be under 30 min.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 10:34 PM

5 posts, read 5,309 times
Thanks everyone! I think if the new job works out we will go with South Tampa as it seems best fit for us.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:04 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigblueHI View Post
Thanks everyone! I think if the new job works out we will go with South Tampa as it seems best fit for us.
Just be aware of the flooding there. It is always in the news as one of the easiest places to flood. I am sure there must be better or worse areas in ST for flooding, but just look into it.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:44 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Maybe good advise to drive around shortly after a lot of rain has come down to see if the area has flooding or not.

Stay safe and don't drive through deep water but it is a good time to search for a home and get to know things you often won't know unless times like this come around.

Many recent home buyers or in the process of buying got to find out if roofs were leaking which is a benefit of all this rain, so there is a positive side for real estate when it rains more than average BUT I feel horrible for the people who have to deal with flooded streets and properties.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:16 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,240 times
S.Tampa streets sometimes flood during a heavy storm but I can't remember last time any houses flood.
The streets usually drain within an hour or two.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:18 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Maybe good advise to drive around shortly after a lot of rain has come down to see if the area has flooding or not.

Stay safe and don't drive through deep water but it is a good time to search for a home and get to know things you often won't know unless times like this come around.

Many recent home buyers or in the process of buying got to find out if roofs were leaking which is a benefit of all this rain, so there is a positive side for real estate when it rains more than average BUT I feel horrible for the people who have to deal with flooded streets and properties.
^ This. We have eliminated a few areas in a search of a house for my parents this exact way. Not that the house flooded, but if the roads and yards were flooded and others were not....well, then we are staying away from the areas which do not drain well.

Also, make sure the home you pick is elevated some from the road, in case it is just a road drainage issue.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:52 AM

14 posts, read 29,898 times
I've lived in S. Tampa near T. Joe's for a year. Best decision. We paid $400k for a partially worked on home but from 1950.

If you have questions let me know, we looked for a year so i know a lot.

No I will not sell you anything, lol. It's just tough getting a place down here but it's worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay