Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 05:36 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,125,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
US 19 design? It is a straight line.
But the way you merge onto it from different roads, or the way they mark the road before you know it your lane ends no warning signs just the warning written on the road that says lane ends or right turn only. Were do you see traffic lights on a freeway. They should have a separate lane in front of bus stops not a full lane just a space for the buses to pull over instead of stoping traffic. And why don't they have sensors were traffic lights are to sense traffic if not that many cars say at midnight shorten the stop lights instead of having a 3 min light when traffic is light. Many major cities have this to keep traffic flowing. Also people think US 19 is the Daytona 500 no wonder auto insurance is expensive here, I've see hit and runs my nephew just got rear ended for the second time in 3 months while sitting at a red light this time by a older woman in a brand new Cadillac cts she was texting.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:49 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,805,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Correct I have never seen so many accidents and reckless drivers as I have seen here, you take your life in your hand driving on US 19 bunch of morons on there and bad design by the state of Florida they are their own worst enemy.
You have no idea what it takes to design a roadway. It might sound easy, but it's not 2D process, there are many concerns that need to be taken into account. There are standards in place. In some cases there is only so much you can do, no matter what, so it's simply wrong to blame "the state of Florida" for bad design.

PS I remember a project for new alignment road, and the proposed alignment was going straight through somebody's property. After spending a lot of money on attorneys and months of negotiations with the property owner, the alignment was revised and the road got curly... I bet drivers were blaming engineers and designers

Last edited by EngGirl; 09-22-2015 at 09:03 PM..

Old 09-22-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
You have no idea what it takes to design a roadway. It might sound easy, but it's not 2D process, there are many concerns that need to be taken into account. There are standards in place. In some cases there is only so much you can do, no matter what, so it's simply wrong to blame "the state of Florida" for bad design.

PS I remember a project for new alignment road, and the proposed alignment was going straight through somebody's property. After spending a lot of money on attorneys and months of negotiations with the property owner, the alignment was revised and the road got curly... I bet drivers were blaming engineers and designers
The state could of bought the land that was going through that persons property ever hear of Eminent Domain were the state can take the property for highway use or public utility's look it up. So drivers have every right to blame the designers because the state could of had that property.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:20 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,240 times
Quote:
But the way you merge onto it from different roads, or the way they mark the road before you know it your lane ends no warning signs just the warning written on the road that says lane ends or right turn only. Were do you see traffic lights on a freeway. They should have a separate lane in front of bus stops not a full lane just a space for the buses to pull over instead of stoping traffic. And why don't they have sensors were traffic lights are to sense traffic if not that many cars say at midnight shorten the stop lights instead of having a 3 min light when traffic is light. Many major cities have this to keep traffic flowing. Also people think US 19 is the Daytona 500 no wonder auto insurance is expensive here, I've see hit and runs my nephew just got rear ended for the second time in 3 months while sitting at a red light this time by a older woman in a brand new Cadillac cts she was texting.
I bet that old lady in the Caddilac was from MI. (just kiddin).
I do remember US19 always being a busy, congested road. Its nothing new. There use to be bumper stickers that said "Pray for me I drive on US 19". I blame it on elderly, retiree's from up north lol.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:45 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,805,690 times
Quote:
The state could of bought the land that was going through that persons property ever hear of Eminent Domain were the state can take the property for highway use or public utility's look it up. So drivers have every right to blame the designers because the state could of had that property.
Oh, I am more than familiar with the Eminent Domain process. It's not that easy. In fact in case I was giving as example state lost and property owner won. Then you go this route you have to prove there are no other alternatives to avoid a take. Yes, in many cases property owners just trying to increase their land value, but sometimes people really don't want any money - they want their property.
Besides property owners who might be oppose the project there are other restrictions - mitigation areas (good luck getting permit from Army Corp of Engineers), wetlands, very bad soil ($$$$$$), endangered species (we had to change alignment due to eagles and snakes being spotted within certain radius). Sure enough engineers, designers and state are to blame in all that...

Old 09-23-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Oh, I am more than familiar with the Eminent Domain process. It's not that easy. In fact in case I was giving as example state lost and property owner won. Then you go this route you have to prove there are no other alternatives to avoid a take. Yes, in many cases property owners just trying to increase their land value, but sometimes people really don't want any money - they want their property.
Besides property owners who might be oppose the project there are other restrictions - mitigation areas (good luck getting permit from Army Corp of Engineers), wetlands, very bad soil ($$$$$$), endangered species (we had to change alignment due to eagles and snakes being spotted within certain radius). Sure enough engineers, designers and state are to blame in all that...
You are correct on that part but the way the state marks the the roads around here is very confusing , you don't know your lane turns into a turning lane untill you are almost at the turn. Most states I have been up north have signs on the side of the road warning of lane changes they are not written on the road itself like they are here very bad to see at night time. And I never seen bus stops on freeways before just here very bad when rush hour is at its worst then you have idiots cutting other drivers off so they won't be stuck behind a bus that makes stops every 1/2 mile that's we're you need a separate little lane in front of bus stops were buses can pull over into so they don't slow traffic down Chicago has them.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:22 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,240 times
Quote:
You are correct on that part but the way the state marks the the roads around here is very confusing , you don't know your lane turns into a turning lane untill you are almost at the turn. Most states I have been up north have signs on the side of the road warning of lane changes they are not written on the road itself like they are here very bad to see at night time. And I never seen bus stops on freeways before just here very bad when rush hour is at its worst then you have idiots cutting other drivers off so they won't be stuck behind a bus that makes stops every 1/2 mile that's we're you need a separate little lane in front of bus stops were buses can pull over into so they don't slow traffic down Chicago has them.
I rarely ever get caught stopped behind a city bus. I think most people that know how to drive simply turn on there blinker and switch a lane a good ways before they see themselves approaching a big bus.
What I think is funny is people that complain about the traffic on 19. It's been that way for about 30 years. Like if I was to move to Alaska then complain about the cold lol.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:12 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
Like if I was to move to Alaska then complain about the cold lol.
Why not? People move to Florida and complain about the heat.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Why not? People move to Florida and complain about the heat.
You are so correct I'm hopping that come July when our lease runs we're he'd ding back north I can handle the snow and cold better than this heat,,at least you dress for the cold and can take off layers of clothing. In the heat you can't , I gave Florida a shot but I'm a northern person always will be I miss the change of seasons. I worked in the cold and snow it's nothing to me.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:37 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
You are so correct I'm hopping that come July when our lease runs we're he'd ding back north
Who do I need to talk to in order to get you out of of your lease.

I'm there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay