Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 12:19 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
this picture is spectacular..that's in Canada?
Yes, in the area between the prairies and northern boreal forest known as the parkland area. In Alberta, about 250 miles north of the Montana border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 06:20 AM

26 posts, read 31,960 times
Wow cupper....u have given me such great info ...thank u ...( and that pic of Canada is breathtaking...frame worthy indeed ). I looked at those listings n Sunnybrook .....wow....now I'm thinking maybe I should consider buying and POSSIBLY renting it out when im not using it. It looks very nice there.....how far of a ride to the beach ? My email is apiacenta@easthartfordct.gov. if we connect via email I can give u my phone number so we can actually talk !!! U seem to have so much valuable info to share....very helpful.
BTW...when I come down Nov 11 __ Nov 18. I now plan on checking out Sunnybrook.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:20 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Piacenta View Post
Wow cupper....u have given me such great info ...thank u ...( and that pic of Canada is breathtaking...frame worthy indeed ). I looked at those listings n Sunnybrook .....wow....now I'm thinking maybe I should consider buying and POSSIBLY renting it out when im not using it. It looks very nice there.....how far of a ride to the beach ? My email is apiacenta@easthartfordct.gov. if we connect via email I can give u my phone number so we can actually talk !!! U seem to have so much valuable info to share....very helpful.
BTW...when I come down Nov 11 __ Nov 18. I now plan on checking out Sunnybrook.
Email sent.

Best beaches start in Clearwater, although if you go by boat, from Tarpon Springs, Ancolte Key is spectacular, and quiet, as only boaters go there. Going south a bit, Honeymoon Island and Caledesi Island are accessible from shore, one from Dunedin, and the other from Clearwater. North of Tarpon Springs the beaches are really not that good until one gets up into the Panhandle. St. Petersburg beaches on the Gulf side have consistently been rated among the best in the US, challenged perhaps by Sarasota.

If you go check out Sunnybrook, you're probably have to get a realtor to show you some of the units, as it is a gated community. As far as renting, that is a touch and go situation. If I recall my condo documents correctly, there is a minimum of a 3 month rental allowed, and the renters will have to pass the interview with the condo board. I was thinking of doing the same thing, but then the reality is, most snowbirds want to come down during the same period I am there. I may do it in the future if I take my sailboat offshore or down island to the Caribbean for an extended period, but I doubt your going to find many who want to rent in the summer time. Too hot and too humid.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:42 AM

Hello again everyone......just an update.....I'm heading down nov 11 thru nov 18 to see my good friends who live in Tampa and Dunedin....I'm excited to check out my potential "future winter hideaway" !!! This will be my 1st of probably 3 visits b4 I'm officially retired ( July 2017 ). I will have a rental car for the week so I guess I'll be doing some exploring . and fyi.....I haven't flown since 2003 !!!!! Wow!!!!
Any suggestions on places i should visit / see ?

Old 11-01-2015, 09:58 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
be prepared for major hassles at the TSA stations - you feel like a criminal as you get wanded, frisked in every orifice, asked to turn your head and cough, etc etc......flying used to be fun.....

as for what to do, save it for when you live here full time ----

Old 11-01-2015, 03:06 PM

6 posts, read 7,026 times
I agree! Sun City Center might be a good choice for you or somewhere in Pinellas County on the edge of Tampa near Courtney Causeway. There are some nice areas in Pasco County too. It is also nice in Citrus Park and Odessa. Lutz is nice. Land O' Lakes has its charm.

Tampa Bay is like a candy store for people relocating; there is truly something for everyone. I wish I could live in several different areas at the same time. When I decided to relocate to Tampa, I was on vacation in St. Pete Beach. I drove across the Gandy Bridge and ran into South Tampa close to MacDill AFB. I fell in love with the area because it was pleasing to the eyes, lots of sidewalks and conveniences. The library, Navy Federal, Target, Publix and the post office are all less than 3 miles from my house. It has a small town feel with big city amenities. I am near some fishing piers of Picnic Island and Ballast Point. My suggestion is just come down and visit and you'll know where you want to be as soon as you visit, St. Pete, Clearwater-Largo, South Hillsborough, Northwest Tampa/Carrollwood, Brandon-Riverview. Take the scenic routes and state roads. Good luck and thanks for your service!

I know you said you are not interested in owning, but should you become ready, areas like Sun City Center, Wimauma, and Apollo Beach have the USDA Loan Programs which can make homeownership more affordable.

Single Family Housing Programs | USDA Rural Development

Old 11-01-2015, 03:11 PM

6 posts, read 7,026 times
Fastest growing areas with lots of development: Pasco County/Wesley Chapel, South Hillsborough, and South Tampa.

Bradenton and Port Charlotte are also growing fast.

There are some weekly and monthly rentals in Tampa off 41 Hwy near the Port, Near Ybor City but they aren't as safe or desirable. There are about 7 affordable single-occupancy, 1-bedrooms, and motels in South Tampa (South of Gandy near the AFB base).

I hope this helps.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:54 PM

Hancock.....i received your direct message ..thank u....and i responded back....hope u got it....still learning the operations of this forum.....lol

Old 11-25-2015, 08:29 AM

Hi everyone....just an update.......well I made my first visit to the Clearwater / Dunedin area....really loved it. Stayed with my good friends in Dunedin....they live real close to the quaint downtown area...which I loved. Had a nice new mustang convertible for the week....cruised around....one day we took a ride down to st Pete...along the coast....real nice...spent some time in Clearwater..... Hung out at honeymoon island a few days.....took a ride up to new Port Richey...tarpon springs..... I Golfed twice....1st time since 1988....looooooooong game...I think I'm more of a 9 holes kind of guy !!! Haha

Went to a usf football game with my other buddy who lives in Tampa....great game !!!! My friends are very familiar with so many of the nice spots to have breakfast...lunch...dinner...drinks....cool resort /hotel bars..pools...firepits on beach..waterside cafes etc....I was shown alot of that...loved it. Didn't get a chance to checkout so many other towns along the coast of old Tampa bay yet ..next time I will do that. I really liked the condo complex where my friend lives...perfect location. I might try to go back down again before may...

Old 11-26-2015, 03:54 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,010 times
Hey, just found this thread. Happy you enjoyed your week in Dunedin! We spend the winters here, near downtown in a 55+ condo complex, and love it. Walking distance to downtown, great bike trail nearby, and easy drive to the beaches. Perhaps on your next trip you can explore Pinellas County a bit more--Safety Harbor is nice, and Gulfport is wonderfully funky. But for us, Dunedin is perfect (but don't tell anyone.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay