Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 06:40 PM

57 posts, read 127,075 times

Advertisements

Is this right?

1. Print out form 82040 Application for Certificate of Title and take to a police station to get my VIN checked??

2. Take form 82040 to the tax collector's office and pay $85.25

3. Go to DMV and pay around $400 to register my car, with insurance card, ID, and title

What happens in between step one and two? And can I go to a police station for the VIN check? Others on the list were notary and car dealership I think??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 06:51 PM

210 posts, read 382,263 times
So this is a seemingly complicated process, isn't it?!! I went through this in April in the Ruskin office. It was actually simpler than I thought. I can describe the process in that office--probably similar in other offices within Hillsborough county. May be the same throughout the state.

First, the office says TAX COLLECTOR on the outside, nothing about motor vehicle, which was strange to me coming from NJ--maybe this is not strange to you (!). The office seemed to do all the license and registration of vehicles, so they are combined--one stop shopping.

Second, there is a sheriff's deputy right there all the time, so if you drive the car you are registering, the deputy will come out and verify the info right then and there.

Also, make an appointment on line so you don't have to wait too long. Everything is done in one place.

So basically, bring the form, the car, and your checkbook to the tax collector-DMV office. It is pretty expensive and they charge extra for using a credit card.

Should be that simple. Good Luck.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:00 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,957 times
We did it all at the Tax Collectors office. the lady came out and checked the VIN herself

Old 10-25-2015, 07:28 PM

Wow, it's great to know all this, thanks!! I'm from NY, so that is weird, I thought it would be the DMV I'd go to.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:34 PM

Can I get a Florida license there too?

Old 10-25-2015, 07:56 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
We did it all at the Tax Collectors office. the lady came out and checked the VIN herself
Same here.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:39 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,957 times
We got our NY car and motorcycle changed over and both our drivers licenses all done at once

Old 10-26-2015, 05:41 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,241,662 times
Thanks for asking this OP. We'll be changing over our car registration and drivers license soon and the website wasn't very clear. Also, thanks sunshinyday for mentioning an appointment.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:03 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,523,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives View Post
Can I get a Florida license there too?
Yes

Old 10-26-2015, 07:31 AM

30 posts, read 45,445 times
My wife and I just went through this process in the last 2 weeks. You can do everything at the tax collector. If you go at the right time(wait times are shown online) the whole process including car registration/plates and new drivers license should take about 45-60 minutes per car/person.

It's an annoying process that nobody wants to actually deal with but in the end it's not so bad. The tax collector website will tell you what information you need to bring. Make sure you have it or you're wasting your time. The first time I showed up I forgot my passport(or birth certificate) so I waited 20 minutes to be seen for nothing.

For drivers license I believe you need your old license, proof of SS#, passport or birth certificate, and 2 proofs of FL address.

For the car you need proof of FL insurance, the current registration, the title if you have it or your lien-holder's information, and the car itself needs to be there for the VIN check. If there is more than 1 name on the title, all parties must be there or you need a power of attorney signed by the other parties to give you permission to do everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay