Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 02:37 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Publix wins when it comes to quality and variety of fresh meats, seafood, produce.

On grocery items, I shop at the store that has the better prices given what I need that particular week and what specials (weekly ads) the stores are offering.

I never pay 'full price' for big ticket grocery items like ground coffee, detergent pods, dishwasher pods, paper products, beverages, other staples. We buy premium brands but always catch them on a good sale at either Publix or Winn Dixie. Takes a little planning, but it's worth it.
We buy all of that on Amazon. Basically if it isn't a grocery product, we buy it on Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 04:30 PM

30,430 posts, read 21,248,616 times
I would hope so. The one by me is higher than Publix and no one is ever in there. Been 2 years or more since i stepped a foot in there anyways.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:39 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Publix wins when it comes to quality and variety of fresh meats, seafood, produce.

On grocery items, I shop at the store that has the better prices given what I need that particular week and what specials (weekly ads) the stores are offering.

I never pay 'full price' for big ticket grocery items like ground coffee, detergent pods, dishwasher pods, paper products, beverages, other staples. We buy premium brands but always catch them on a good sale at either Publix or Winn Dixie. Takes a little planning, but it's worth it.
I've been using Publix lately and found that to be true. Important not to buy other stuff that are higher priced if you don't mind shopping at multiple stores. I find WD has certain cheaper items, Walmart, and Publix likewise - you just have to know where to go if you're interested in saving a few dollars. Sometimes the hassle isn't worth it.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:40 PM

14,947 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If the box of "product a" is cheaper at a different store and the prices of "product b, c & d" are also cheaper at the different store it makes no sense to go to the more expensive store for the same exact item.
LOL, unless you think that paying more for the same item makes it "better", somehow, and you believe "you're worth it. ".

Old 10-28-2015, 05:04 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL, unless you think that paying more for the same item makes it "better", somehow, and you believe "you're worth it. ".
That is what retailers want you to think. You are a better person because you shop in their stores because their stores are better while they all have the same products.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:13 PM

809 posts, read 746,842 times
I rue the day that I learned about winn dixie. My local grocery store was Kash n' Karry, bought out by SweetBay, then bought out by 'dixie, then closed down (as was another local 'dixie store). It's just a business and we are their mushrooms. I have a publix close by, and shop there for specialty items, but normally buy at walmart, or even BJ's. Publix is usually overcrowded, checkout lines undermaned with their teenage workers yacking on perpetual breaks.

If I move to an area well served by 'dixie I'll shop there. Again, they are just a business, and I'm just a consumer.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:11 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If the box of "product a" is cheaper at a different store and the prices of "product b, c & d" are also cheaper at the different store it makes no sense to go to the more expensive store for the same exact item.
IF it takes me 20 extra minutes to drive to X store with a lower price for product b, then it's NOT worth it. What I spent in gas makes up for what I didn't on the product! Common sense.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:35 AM

212 posts, read 286,500 times
While Publix is more expensive, they accept competitor's coupons. We typically get several Whole Foods $15 off of $75 coupons per month, which can save you 20 percent at Publix. Also about once a month Publix runs buy $50 and get $10 off a $50 gas card. This saves you 20 percent off of your gas. We also use an Amex credit card that gives us a 6% rebate on groceries. If you plan your purchases you can save significant money on groceries at Publix.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:47 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
IF it takes me 20 extra minutes to drive to X store with a lower price for product b, then it's NOT worth it. What I spent in gas makes up for what I didn't on the product! Common sense.
My Publix and Winn Dixie are directly across the street from each other.

I drive 15 minutes to Trader Joe's and to Mazzaro's once a month for items that are not available at the chain stores.

I take my bike up to the Gulfport Produce Stand for interesting greens and small packs of fresh herbs. I also buy produce at Gulfport's weekly market which I can walk to.

Variety is the spice of life!

Old 10-29-2015, 06:48 AM

769 posts, read 829,945 times
The only Winn Dixie by me is a complete DUMP.

I was PISSED when SweetBay closed near me, it was the grocery store closest to my house, and almost as nice as Publix.

I love Publix, but just wish they were a little cheaper.

When most of the sweetbay's closed several years ago (before the ones that were left turned into winn dixie), I was really surprised the one by me closed, it always seemed busy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay