Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2015, 11:34 AM

83 posts, read 156,147 times

Advertisements

We are relocating for my husbands job at Citibank (3800 Citibank Ctr location) and are having a hard time deciding where to live. We won't be visiting the area in advance and moving the weekend before Thanksgiving. We got approved for a rental house in Riverview but I'm starting to get a bad feeling about it. That area isn't too popular on this forum, it's near that fertilizer plant/phosphate mountain and the schools aren't very good. We love the neighborhood and house which is all it has going for it at this point. The commute looks to be about 20 minutes which is okay. I'm starting to look at rentals in New Tampa (south part) as the schools are better and the area seems to be more popular..our daughter is only 2.5 so we don't need schooling for a few years but the quality of schools speaks for the area in my opinion. Feel free to correct me. Are there any other areas within a max of 25 minutes from his work that are newish and safe for a house/condo rental?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 01:18 PM

212 posts, read 286,469 times
Consider Fishhawk. It is more than 25 minutes away in rush hour, but you probably like the area a lot better than Riverview.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:20 PM

170 posts, read 233,901 times
New Tampa IMO....at least in New Tampa you have dining, shopping, and a slightly eclectic/diverse population. The New Tampa area has become more sophisticated to me over the years reminds me of North Atlanta. Riverview/Ruskin and the whole South County is poised for development but it's still in infancy. I feel although homes are more affordable in South County there aren't as many amenities in regards to shopping, transportation, and overall livability. Maybe in a couple of years it'll get there but not yet. Winthrop Village in Riverview is one area that is a little more improved (infrastructure-wise). Good luck!

Old 10-30-2015, 02:05 PM

I really like Fishhawk but unfortunately it's just too far of a commute. I think New Tampa sounds great, we are in a time crunch so hopefully we can find something but if we can't.....
The rental in Riverview is in one of the neighborhoods across from Ippolito Elementary. So, both Progress Village and that phosphate mountain/fertilizer plant are within a few miles are they honestly something to worry about? As in close enough to worry about?

Old 10-30-2015, 02:20 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
If you already signed a lease you may want to check the lease as Florida is a state that owners don't have to mitigate their damages so if your lease doesn't have a lease break fee than you may be held liable for the etire lease unless you cancel soon and work out something with the owner/management.
Otherwise it can be a costly decision. Most owners/management will just keep the security deposit wich is often considered holding money unless the lease is signed since that means you have a contract but in areas that are less desirable owners/management may handle it differently.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:22 PM

We haven't signed anything yet.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:35 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,523,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTX1293 View Post
I really like Fishhawk but unfortunately it's just too far of a commute. I think New Tampa sounds great, we are in a time crunch so hopefully we can find something but if we can't.....
The rental in Riverview is in one of the neighborhoods across from Ippolito Elementary. So, both Progress Village and that phosphate mountain/fertilizer plant are within a few miles are they honestly something to worry about? As in close enough to worry about?
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Those are nice, new neighborhoods. Progress Village might not be the nicest area but its far from the worst. I think no matter where you choose to live your gonna be within a couple miles of some type of riff raff.
IMO I think your family would be fine in the new neighborhoods across from the school.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Those are nice, new neighborhoods. Progress Village might not be the nicest area but its far from the worst. I think no matter where you choose to live your gonna be within a couple miles of some type of riff raff.
IMO I think your family would be fine in the new neighborhoods across from the school.
Thank you so much for your input. Now what about being close to the plant?

Old 10-30-2015, 03:11 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTX1293 View Post
We haven't signed anything yet.

Just keep in mind that rentals go fast in the better or more desirable areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay