Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 06:19 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
Or a person could choose to buy a house that better fits there budget so they don't have to work more than 1 job so they will have time to do yard work or maybe even then could afford a lawn service.
I wouldn't expect anyone to volunteer there time helping clean my nasty looking yard.
This hasn't been the case for the majority living here for a very long time or never. AND to assume those with multiple jobs live like rats is also rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Or a person could choose to buy a house that better fits there budget so they don't have to work more than 1 job so they will have time to do yard work or maybe even then could afford a lawn service.
I wouldn't expect anyone to volunteer there time helping clean my nasty looking yard.
Also, when you work multiple jobs there isn't enough time in a day to further someone's education towards a 6 figure career. Logic. Nor there's any money to afford it. Checked tuitions lately?

The OP will have to resort to an older area in Oldsmar like someone else said or more expensive South Tampa, all tho with the traffic there, it's just not worth it.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:33 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,523,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
This hasn't been the case for the majority living here for a very long time or never. AND to assume those with multiple jobs live like rats is also rude.
LoL. My sister lives in Westchase/Glenfield and I don't hear here or her neighbors ever mentioning the type problems you have. But they may have known how your suppose to maintain there property before they bought in a HOA. Too bad for some people they dont know that and want to live like Beverly Hillbillys in a HOA.
And where/how am I being rude?

Old 11-03-2015, 07:16 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,584,614 times
Obviously not all but most of the homes being built these last 20 yrs have very small yards. If you can't find an hour out of your week to take care of your front yard start with the TV remote.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:55 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
You're forgetting:
1. How many low end jobs someone has to work here to afford that house.
2. That some work many hours and have no time left to pamper their front lawns.
3. That HOAs are NOT there to HELP folks like the ones I mentioned, all they do is b*itch that is not done. I find that offensive.
4. It is NOT ok to assume that someone purposely wants a nasty looking yard. So, instead of wasting papers sending letters, get off your a$$ and HELP those with limited time!

It's called being a GOOD neighbor!!!!
To me that is BS as than you shouldn't buy or rent in a community like that. Nobody is getting a gun to their head to buy or rent in such a community but if you choose to live there you should maintain the yard.

Another thing I feel is BS is the time that they don' seem to have....do you know how much time people, including myself, spend online on phones and aside from that watching TV and other things that everyone can do if they choose to do and there should be time to maintain the yard and spend less time online or on a phone.

It is called "spending your time wisely" and you can do so much more in a day.

We see it all the time with short sales and foreclosures and tenants who don't pay the rent. Not one of them eliminates the cable boxes (not an error..."boxes) and internet on expensive phone plans with data plans.

Do all of them need that, probably not but why would you cancel it if you can save the money on a mortgage payment and/or rent.

Also when you mention "low income job". Usually people with low income jobs can't afford to live in a HOA community and pay all the fees. We have seen during the housing boom that buyer's bought homes who made $ 10.00 per hour and lied on applications that weren't checked by mortgage brokers as they just wanted to get their commission and buyer's were able to buy homes $ 150,000 and higher.

It doesn't matter if your income is low or high as there is no excuse to not maintain the property on the outside if you signed the HOA disclosure or were informed that you are living in a HOA community.

There are plenty of non HOA areas where people live and maintain their properties as well while others next door don't care but if there are no rules that is what you can expect.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:06 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
It doesn't matter if your income is low or high as there is no excuse to not maintain the property on the outside if you signed the HOA disclosure or were informed that you are living in a HOA community.

There are plenty of non HOA areas where people live and maintain their properties as well while others next door don't care but if there are no rules that is what you can expect.
My mother in-law lives in a community in Holiday (yes, dreaded Holiday/West Pasco) that has no HOA. Every house on her block is well cared for and maintained, including the yards. These are single story, 1200 SF block homes built in the 1960 with reasonably sized yards. Nearly all of the owners are retirees on fixed incomes.

Yes, they have time to maintain their properties, and they choose to do so. Many of them have limited physical ability or are infirm to some extent due to age and health. That being said, it's not unusual to drive by on the hottest of summer days and see some of them out in the yard working.

I live in an HOA mandated community with a wide range of owners and renters. Some of the better maintained homes belong to renters. I find this to be a bit amusing, as it shows how committed these renters are to having a nice home despite the fact that they have no vested interest in doing any more than the minimum to maintain the home as defined by their lessor.

It all comes down to your values as an individual, I believe.

RM

Old 11-04-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
LoL. My sister lives in Westchase/Glenfield and I don't hear here or her neighbors ever mentioning the type problems you have. But they may have known how your suppose to maintain there property before they bought in a HOA. Too bad for some people they dont know that and want to live like Beverly Hillbillys in a HOA.
And where/how am I being rude?
We always lived in HOA communities, and know how to maintain our yard. Your assumption that those opposing HOAs are "Hilly Billy's" is also RUDE!

None of the HOAs we had in Miami acted the way those in Tampa do. They were all managed by the homeowners, and none of them ever had any reason to pick on their neighbors. Our homes looked great!

Old 11-04-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
My mother in-law lives in a community in Holiday (yes, dreaded Holiday/West Pasco) that has no HOA. Every house on her block is well cared for and maintained, including the yards. These are single story, 1200 SF block homes built in the 1960 with reasonably sized yards. Nearly all of the owners are retirees on fixed incomes.

Yes, they have time to maintain their properties, and they choose to do so. Many of them have limited physical ability or are infirm to some extent due to age and health. That being said, it's not unusual to drive by on the hottest of summer days and see some of them out in the yard working.

I live in an HOA mandated community with a wide range of owners and renters. Some of the better maintained homes belong to renters. I find this to be a bit amusing, as it shows how committed these renters are to having a nice home despite the fact that they have no vested interest in doing any more than the minimum to maintain the home as defined by their lessor.

It all comes down to your values as an individual, I believe.

RM
This^^^^^!

I'm sure that they also pitch in if someone needs help!

It's also generational; newer generations have little to be proud off when their incomes don't afford them the ability to even consider buying a home!

Old 11-04-2015, 09:09 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
This^^^^^!

I'm sure that they also pitch in if someone needs help!

It's also generational; newer generations have little to be proud off when their incomes don't afford them the ability to even consider buying a home!
That to me is non sense. I know many young people who work hard to reach their goals in life and are proud of what they accomplish and buy.

It is the entitlement population and they come in al ages that don't care and just want to get and do as least as possible and are against laws and anything that is not benefitting themselves.

That goes fro generation to generation if parents don't want to teach their kids anything different.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:40 AM

877 posts, read 1,912,515 times
Quote:

I know off the top of my head at least 50 people in the Tampa Bay area and I cannot think of anyone who works more than one job. Yet, they all seem to be able to afford a decent house in a nice neighborhood and also keep up with their lawn or hire someone to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay