U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 10:59 AM

131 posts, read 107,221 times

Advertisements

Safety Harbor is very nice, I prefer Palm Harbor myself, located on the western -gulf- side of the peninsula Palm Harbor FL Real Estate - 902 Homes For Sale | Zillow
Keep in mind once the houses down here hit 50 years old the insurance goes through the roof. The closer to resent building codes they are the lower your insurance premium. In some cases insurance will cost you more than a mortgage near the coast. Pay close attention to elevation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 01:16 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,483,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms murrr View Post
We went on the Kenwood bungalow tour over the weekend and feel madly in love with those houses - and now you're making me think perhaps Safety Harbor is the place for us. What you're describing is exactly what we're looking for - the eclecticism and community, plus safety.

Tour? What kind of tour? Sounds fabulous.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:31 AM

111 posts, read 79,213 times
I love St. Pete and the downtown/Kenwood area. I find it overall having character (this term can be as general and broad to some, so by character the waterfront parks, etc.) and quaint as a lot of areas in St. Pete. But for housing, I just like having carpet and central AC especially in Florida and I haven't found many houses that are "historic" to have those elements. Plus I see no need in having a fireplace in Florida.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:47 AM

7,077 posts, read 3,427,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmsmb View Post
I love St. Pete and the downtown/Kenwood area. I find it overall having character (this term can be as general and broad to some, so by character the waterfront parks, etc.) and quaint as a lot of areas in St. Pete. But for housing, I just like having carpet and central AC especially in Florida and I haven't found many houses that are "historic" to have those elements. Plus I see no need in having a fireplace in Florida.
Carpet in Florida....you must be kidding. The humidity, coming in from the pool. Carpet is sooooo awful just about anywhere, it's a dirt sponge for germs, mold, etc. Modern carpeting is full of synthetics that cause allergies....anyone with kids knows this.

Every watch ANY of the home improvement shows on HGTV....every see any carpeting??? Hard surfaces is what sells a home....good luck on resale of carpeted home. All potential buyers see is the cost in converting to hardwoods or tile.

Carpet...YUCK!!! Especially in a warm, humid climate.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:09 AM

4,498 posts, read 6,557,941 times
Bungalows are nice.

Carpets in FL.......NO. Humidity and sand does not work with carpeting here.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:15 AM

37 posts, read 27,940 times
It was totally fabulous - Bungalowfest 2015:

BungalowFest 2015 | Historic Kenwood

Definitely check it out next year!

Old 12-14-2015, 10:48 AM

769 posts, read 590,152 times
There's nothing inherently wrong with carpet...

In fact, EVERY home built in Florida from roughly 1975 until the early 2000's had carpet as the primary flooring.

In fact, in the 70's through the 90's people were covering up their hard wood floors and terrazo floors (popular in the 60's and early 70's) with Carpet.

In fact it's still put in MOST houses. Maybe not high end ones, because people like the look of tile or wood.

Don't get me wrong, I do to. My home has tile, I pulled up the carpet when I bought it and put down tile. But some rooms I kept carpet. I like it, but I also like the low maintenance of tile

Now, that said, in a bungalo with a sub-floor, I can see if the floor's not sealed great, it could be a problem. But in a non-crappy home with a real foundation build in the last 60 years, it's a non-issue

Old 12-14-2015, 11:00 AM

7,077 posts, read 3,427,247 times
Carpet is a huge issue for breathing....it makes its own indoor air pollution from the fibers. And the mites, the molds....it all stays in the carpet....ewwwwww!!!

And as far as looks and resale, carpet is a big negative. Any home beyond lower level builder's grade will not have carpeting in this day and age.

I always think resale when we buy and we haven't had carpeting in any of our homes since 1987. Never lost money on a home sale either and we've bought/sold nine of them, even in the downturn.

A house is a huge investment and can become a big liability if you pick one that no one wants when it's time to sell.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:06 AM

769 posts, read 590,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Carpet is a huge issue for breathing....it makes its own indoor air pollution from the fibers. And the mites, the molds....it all stays in the carpet....ewwwwww!!!
If your home has a concrete slab the carpet does not really "breathe".

Mold is only an issue if you have leaks, or cracks in the foundation, or if you don't run the air conditioner (who doesnt here in FLA)

Quote:
And as far as looks and resale, carpet is a big negative. Any home beyond lower level builder's grade will not have carpeting in this day and age.
That's a pretty snobby attitude and wrong

[quote]I always think resale when we buy and we haven't had carpeting in any of our homes since 1987. Never lost money on a home sale either and we've bought/sold nine of them, even in the downturn.

Quote:
A house is a huge investment and can become a big liability if you pick one that no one wants when it's time to sell.
Nonsense...

It's not a liability.

Having wood floors will give you a premium at selling time, as will nice real wood cabinets and stainless steel appliances.

But those are all easily replaceable, like carpet. Ask any realtor how many homes with carpet and cheap formica cabinets they sold in the run-up to the bubble 2004-2008.

Similar houses are selling right now.

The big difference

Old 12-14-2015, 03:11 PM

111 posts, read 79,213 times
Let's just drag the carpet beyond a one post who mentions carpet ... cripes.

Well, I could have tile or wood floors in the dining and living room, but for ME I prefer in bedrooms. Either way. The good thing shopping in the markets are options. With more options, you also pay more. Throughout Tampa Bay there are a variety of houses with interior features. You could have your all wooden floors and fire places with granite and stainless steel and go get Swiffer "for those who have kids." Anyone with pets know this .....

Last edited by tbmsmb; 12-14-2015 at 03:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or