U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 08:39 PM

4,091 posts, read 4,702,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
One refugee that arrived in October through Greece is amongst the terrorist committing these horrible crimes. Another one also just arrived.
One is statistically insignificant. Come back when you have some real stats.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:20 PM

3,313 posts, read 4,312,664 times
I am not sure if most people here are familiar what refugee status is and what it provides, but really this is one of very few immigration categories that treats immigrants with pretty much the same benefits as US citizens are getting - there is no waiting time period for anything (like any visa-green card requires). Refugees are getting free place to live, free food, free education.
Normally I would be very tolerant for refugees (even though I know stories of great abuse of the system), but accepting people, who ruined their country - come on!?! Don't we have enough people we need to support already? Do we want people around here (and I am not only talking about Tampa Bay area) who destroyed their home country and moved here?
Refugees are not good news for the area if you ask me...

Old 11-15-2015, 11:40 PM

3,723 posts, read 2,024,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I am not sure if most people here are familiar what refugee status is and what it provides, but really this is one of very few immigration categories that treats immigrants with pretty much the same benefits as US citizens are getting - there is no waiting time period for anything (like any visa-green card requires). Refugees are getting free place to live, free food, free education.
Normally I would be very tolerant for refugees (even though I know stories of great abuse of the system), but accepting people, who ruined their country - come on!?! Don't we have enough people we need to support already? Do we want people around here (and I am not only talking about Tampa Bay area) who destroyed their home country and moved here?
Refugees are not good news for the area if you ask me...
I'm not sure how the migrants who are fleeing real terror and atrocities have " ruined their own countries."
But quite apart from that America has a moral obligation to accept refugees from a region of the world which is infinitely more unstable and dangerous thanks to disastrous American military intervention.
Americans should show the same compassion and sympathy that was extended to this country from across the world after 9/11.
And politically this country needs to co-ordinate its response to ISIL with the Russians -

Last edited by Sunscape; 11-16-2015 at 04:42 AM..

Old 11-16-2015, 03:57 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,231,496 times
OP, I don't see your post as being unkind, unsympathetic. Our area could be a target for retribution since CENTCOM HQ is at MacDill and we have a huge mixture of nationalities in our area.

A single/lone wolf or a few individuals could carry out something heinous under the radar. Boston Marathon murders were American citizens, if I recall.

Sometimes we allow the terrorists to be successful by being terrorized while completely forgetting the real threats that we face in our own hometowns.

Right now, I'm more concerned about going to the local movie theater or convenience store and getting my brains blown out by some nutjob with multiple unregistered, concealed weapons. I'm more concerned about a wrong-way driver or a DUI coming on my side of the road while I'm innocently driving down the road, minding my own business, or a road-rager coming at me with his unregistered handgun because I might have accidentally cut him off on the I-75. Or sitting in church and some nut job with a gun comes in shoots members of the congregation.

Last edited by BucFan; 11-16-2015 at 05:03 AM..

Old 11-16-2015, 04:17 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,231,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
I worry about the home grown Timothy McVeigh types. There seems to be an endless supply of pissed off and heavily armed lunatics in our community.
agree......we have our share of nutjobs with odd thoughts/beliefs....some in Ruskin (flying lawnchair guy who crashed into DC).........doesn't take much to set these people off.

FBI investigating attack threat against St. Petersburg mosque | Tampa Bay Timeshere's an example of one of the nutjobs here......
"I personally have a militia that's going to come down to your Islamic Society of Pinellas County and firebomb you, shoot whoever's there on sight in the head," the caller warned. "I don't care if they're (expletive) 2 years old or 100."

Last edited by BucFan; 11-16-2015 at 05:16 AM..

Old 11-16-2015, 05:06 AM

5,530 posts, read 2,341,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
One is statistically insignificant. Come back when you have some real stats.
LOL so it only matters to you if we have a statistically significant portion of refugees being terrorists? Would you be okay with 5%? Maybe 10%? What's your threshold for how many terrorists we should import?

Old 11-16-2015, 05:21 AM

7,108 posts, read 3,468,096 times
FDR: "The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself."

It's silly to stop going to movies, malls, airports, etc. because you fear some sort of terrorism or a lone nutbar with a gun.

Live your life.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:56 AM

769 posts, read 595,820 times
There's plenty of refugees here already. Except they come from Mexico and South / Central America and pick our crops and clean our hotels, do day labor, slang rock, whatever

Old 11-16-2015, 07:54 AM

4,091 posts, read 4,702,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
LOL so it only matters to you if we have a statistically significant portion of refugees being terrorists? Would you be okay with 5%? Maybe 10%? What's your threshold for how many terrorists we should import?
So, in other words, you have no idea how statistics work?

Old 11-16-2015, 08:17 AM

3,313 posts, read 4,312,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I'm not sure how the migrants who are fleeing real terror and atrocities have " ruined their own countries."
Sure enough terror happened by itself and all people as a nation have nothing to do with it. Or maybe it was just one bad guy. Very convenient!
Sorry, but people there were raised with different mentality, so don't be surprised of charges coming towards this county... in the near future.
I am with bentlebee on this one - want to help? Fine! Let's do it on their territory...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or