U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 10:39 AM

101 posts, read 80,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyaariel View Post
Thank you for all the responses. The wife and I were just about to put an offer on a house in Safety Harbor, then my realtor received the sellers disclosure and found the house has some "settlement" problems. Cause past cracks, etc. So, it's back to the drawing board.

We saw a property online right off of Countryside BLVD, north of 580 that might be doable. Looks like Countryside might get another look.
I wouldn't write it off completely....many of these older homes are going to have some cracks. Just proceed with caution. Especially with the types of soil in SH. What's the address? Was there a sinkhole claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 11:37 AM

55 posts, read 140,127 times
Address is 213 Waterview Court. There was a claim made. I also received a copy of the Engineering report. Didn't look good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
I wouldn't write it off completely....many of these older homes are going to have some cracks. Just proceed with caution. Especially with the types of soil in SH. What's the address? Was there a sinkhole claim?

Old 12-04-2015, 01:05 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,483,868 times
Quote:
Address is 213 Waterview Court. There was a claim made. I also received a copy of the Engineering report. Didn't look good
Shame. It's a pretty house. Did the engineering report mention actual voids under the home?

Old 12-04-2015, 01:05 PM
KPB

1,428 posts, read 914,228 times
Quote:
Chances are that it was normal settling and got some company to say it wasn't so they could scam the insurance company, it happens a lot.

Every home built on a slab around here is gonna have cracks in it, even brand new homes.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:51 PM

It's pretty bad. I wish I could paste the engineering report. But the summarize, this house was built in 1995. In 2001, there were damages caused to the interior and exterior of the house. The geotechs opinion at the time was due to a combination of sinkhole related activity and soild shrinkage. It was recommended that the soil be stabilized. House was repaired. Then in 2005, it was reported the damages reoccurred at the residence. Another geotech engineer conducted an inspection. His opinion is that it was due to minor differential settling due to soil shrinkage. This geotech said that this occurrence and the previous were not due to sinkhole activity.

I am a Licensed Professional Civil Engineer by profession so I'm familiar with reading these types of reports, but even if I wasn't, I'd want to stay away.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:05 PM

6,587 posts, read 6,799,493 times
Quote:
It's pretty bad. I wish I could paste the engineering report. But the summarize, this house was built in 1995. In 2001, there were damages caused to the interior and exterior of the house. The geotechs opinion at the time was due to a combination of sinkhole related activity and soild shrinkage. It was recommended that the soil be stabilized. House was repaired. Then in 2005, it was reported the damages reoccurred at the residence. Another geotech engineer conducted an inspection. His opinion is that it was due to minor differential settling due to soil shrinkage. This geotech said that this occurrence and the previous were not due to sinkhole activity.

I am a Licensed Professional Civil Engineer by profession so I'm familiar with reading these types of reports, but even if I wasn't, I'd want to stay away.
Wow...this report sounds so shady...like they shopped around till they got the report that was most favorable to them...You are smart to walk away...

Old 12-05-2015, 06:58 AM

Yeah. The wife and I definitely feel deflate after that. We are going to see some houses tomorrow, 2 of which are on countryside. We still had our heart set on safety harbor though.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:52 AM

6,587 posts, read 6,799,493 times
Sorry OP it is disheartening...remember during the holiday season many people don't list or even re-list their home...hopefully after the new year more will come on the market...hang in there!!! It's good you don't settle...buying a house is such a big decision...(as you already know)...hang in there!!!

Old 12-05-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Yeah. The wife and I definitely feel deflate after that. We are going to see some houses tomorrow, 2 of which are on countryside. We still had our heart set on safety harbor though.
If your heart is set on SH and you don't have to make a quick move, I'd recommend waiting a bit until after the holidays. There will be more homes on the market then, and your chances of getting in here will be much better.

Safety Harbor is really worth the wait if you don't have to move immediately. We've been here for almost 4 years now and consider it one of the BEST decisions we've made. We'll be here, God willing, until the day we die.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:39 AM

OP, have you seen any of these? They are all in good areas.

4 Idlewilde Dr, Safety Harbor, FL 34695 | Zillow

1401 Crestwood Ct N, Safety Harbor, FL 34695 | Zillow

790 Del Oro Dr, Safety Harbor, FL 34695 | Zillow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or