U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-20-2015, 08:57 PM
 
12 posts, read 40,439 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our late 20s and currently live near Lutz. He works in Brandon and I work near downtown, so our commutes are pretty terrible. We're looking to move to Brandon or Riverview since my husband's commute would go from 60 minutes one way down to 10-15. Mine wouldn't change much. We're also considering the northwest Tampa area, such as Temple Terrace. We are planning to have kids and we are looking for a quieter area than where we are now (less than a quarter mile from Dale Mabry). We haven't decided to rent or buy yet. If we rent, we're looking to pay no more than $1100/month for a 2 bedroom, and if we buy we'd like to get a 2 or 3 bedroom townhome that is newer construction (built in the last 10 years or so). Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-21-2015, 05:43 AM
 
Location: Western North Carolina
1,296 posts, read 827,296 times
Reputation: 2010
The Valrico area on the east side of Brandon between 60 and Lithia-Pinecrest, you'll find plenty of nice neighborhoods that should fit your rental budget. On the north side of 60 at Mulrennan is Somerset that has houses from 10 to 20 years within that budget, and a nice common area with pool, courts, clubhouse, etc. There are a lot of other residential areas too, good hunting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2015, 08:13 AM
 
2,261 posts, read 1,555,066 times
Reputation: 2947
Quote:
Originally Posted by suny_12 View Post
My husband and I are in our late 20s and currently live near Lutz. He works in Brandon and I work near downtown, so our commutes are pretty terrible. We're looking to move to Brandon or Riverview since my husband's commute would go from 60 minutes one way down to 10-15. Mine wouldn't change much. We're also considering the northwest Tampa area, such as Temple Terrace. We are planning to have kids and we are looking for a quieter area than where we are now (less than a quarter mile from Dale Mabry). We haven't decided to rent or buy yet. If we rent, we're looking to pay no more than $1100/month for a 2 bedroom, and if we buy we'd like to get a 2 or 3 bedroom townhome that is newer construction (built in the last 10 years or so). Any advice?
With the crosstown expressway getting to downtown from Brandon is a easy 15 minutes. I make that trip at least 3 times a week. Wifey and I had a long weekend on St Pete Beach last week, we left the beach after our late breakfast around 1100 am. We made it back to brandon in less then an hour with the expressway. My wife said she couldn't believe we did the trip in 45 minutes. Living outside of Brandon in Valrico, Bloomingdale, Riverview ,Fishhawk and Apollo Beach will add to your commute by 20-40 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2015, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,527 posts, read 3,652,330 times
Reputation: 3308
If you're looking for an apartment at that price you'll probably find something, but it won't be that great. Highly unlikely you can find a house for rent anywhere near that price in a decent neighborhood. Townhouse possibly, but I don't think there are many to choose from in the area.

Understand that rental rates are pretty ridiculous these days.

In my neighborhood where the typical house is a 3/3/ or 4/3 with a pool rentals are over $2000/month.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2015, 05:36 PM
 
12 posts, read 40,439 times
Reputation: 11
Thanks! We decided to rent for another year. We lived in south Tampa last year so I definitely understand that rents tend to be high around here. I'd prefer a townhouse but apartments are fine. My biggest concerns are safety and getting my commute down to 20-30 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2015, 07:52 AM
 
31 posts, read 27,446 times
Reputation: 33
Your best bet would be to stay close to Selmon expway. It takes less than 10 mins to get to downtown after you take the expway.
Your options:
Apts:
Camden Visconti (1 bed - $1100, 2bed - $1300)
Oasis - (around same price as above)
There are new apts coming up by Falkenburg and 301, may be starting in Jan 2016, you can check them out too.

Above options will take less than 5 mins to get on to Selmon expway.

Traffic in rush hour is bad on 60, so try to avoid it as much as possible if you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2015, 07:56 AM
 
31 posts, read 27,446 times
Reputation: 33
There are some townhomes between 60 and Selmon on 301, but I recommend above Apts than townhomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2015, 08:26 AM
 
769 posts, read 590,152 times
Reputation: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
The Valrico area on the east side of Brandon between 60 and Lithia-Pinecrest, you'll find plenty of nice neighborhoods that should fit your rental budget.
You will find plenty of traffic. If the OP works downtown Tampa, that commute would be AWFUL. There's no easy way to get from Valrico to downtown Tampa. You have to fight 60 all the way through Brandon. I would rather live in Lutz than fight 60 every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2015, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,527 posts, read 3,652,330 times
Reputation: 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
You will find plenty of traffic. If the OP works downtown Tampa, that commute would be AWFUL. There's no easy way to get from Valrico to downtown Tampa. You have to fight 60 all the way through Brandon. I would rather live in Lutz than fight 60 every day.
That's true from that part of Valrico. I live in the southern part of Valrico, and I can get to Kennedy and Florida in under 30 minutes in the morning. I would avoid SR60 like the plague.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2015, 06:42 PM
 
769 posts, read 590,152 times
Reputation: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
That's true from that part of Valrico. I live in the southern part of Valrico, and I can get to Kennedy and Florida in under 30 minutes in the morning. I would avoid SR60 like the plague.

RM

Where exactly? Do you go down causeway? I used to live in Providence Lakes, and it wasnt bad getting downtown, but further out having to go down causeway or lumsden or whatever its called became tedius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:27 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top