Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 07:21 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,006,625 times

Advertisements

Finally got fed up with seeing those obnoxious election-style signs everywhere and decided to do something about it. This weekend, I pulled over and parked near a few intersections and yanked about 25-30 of these puppies out of the ground and chucked 'em in the dumpster.

It's everything from WE BUY HOUSES to SELL YOUR JUNK CAR to FIX YOUR CREDIT. All kinds of gimmicks / scams that clutter up street corners everywhere. You tend to see them moreso in poor neighborhoods and they make everything look trashy. Hillsborough County Code Enforcement tries to cleanem up when they can, but they don't have nearly enough staff and hours to keep up.

Who's with me on this? If everyone in the whole county grabs like 5 a week and chucks 'em, we can stick it to these annoying marketers / scammers. Who wants to join me? If you see 'em at an intersection and you have a few minutes to spare, park in a business or plaza, walk around and get 'em! A group effort countywide would go a long way. If enough of us team up and do this, we can fight back.
Attached Thumbnails
Snipe Signs Everywhere-589761006.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 08:46 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,562,029 times
Pasco County has someone on a motor bike who has been taking them out for years now. Not sure if he does it on its own or if he works for the County and takes them out on his way to work but we hardly seen anyone here for longer than 2 days. Unless they are placed within a community and it depends what home owners or HOA's do.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:54 PM

819 posts, read 1,396,717 times
I think that sounds like a great idea, along with me opening a sign printing business. :-)

Old 11-22-2015, 10:08 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,344,792 times
You live in Florida. Cleanliness of areas is usually not a priority here.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:21 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,867,800 times
Most localities have rules on these signs. Gulfport has a dedicated zone enforcement employee and I have personally witnessed him removing signs.

I always wonder about the business economics of buying/placing these signs. I for one, have never contacted a business advertising via these signs, nor did a political sign ever sway my voting decision.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:42 AM

769 posts, read 824,596 times
Some of you must live in crappy parts of town. I only see these in poorer parts of town... so it kind of goes with the motif of the area in my opinion

Old 11-23-2015, 08:26 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,582,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
I think that sounds like a great idea, along with me opening a sign printing business. :-)
Why? Do you enjoy throwing money down the drain?

These signs are one step short of littering!
The city also doesn't care that there is a homeless old guy not disabled but in a wheel chair camping in a tent on Van Dyke rd!!!!! Those home values are sliding really fast because if I was in the market to buy, I wouldn't buy in an area I'd see a homeless running free and tenting too!

There aren't many in our area, deed restrictions, but I've seen them and they're awful. The city doesn't have any concern for beautifying anything here, so yes, the citizens will have to get this done too!

Old 11-23-2015, 08:31 AM

31 posts, read 43,677 times
Good initiative!!!

Old 11-23-2015, 08:31 AM

4,091 posts, read 5,978,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
There aren't many in our area, deed restrictions, but I've seen them and they're awful. The city doesn't have any concern for beautifying anything here, so yes, the citizens will have to get this done too!
That would probably be because you don't live in "the city," so they have no desire to clean your suburb. And why should they?

Old 11-23-2015, 08:51 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,313,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
I pulled over and parked near a few intersections and yanked about 25-30 of these puppies out of the ground and chucked 'em in the dumpster.

As a business owner who has used those signs in my client's yards, if I catch you stealing (because that's what it is) one of my signs, I will report you.

You don't have to like them. They're not yours to take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay