Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 03:03 PM

6 posts, read 4,581 times

Advertisements

Hi All: I am going to be moving to Florida from Upstate NY in January. I am single & 55. My employer has generously offered to let me choose between (1) working from a office at N Dale Mabry & Kennedy, or (2) work from home anywhere in the state. Once I choose, though, I am locked to that choice.

My budget is only about 200K, which limits my options. I think I would prefer to work from the office for social reasons, but with my budget, I won't be all too close to the office, and I think I am looking at a commute of >30 minutes to find a house I can afford.

So my question is this. I am willing to work anywhere that is less than a 30 minute commute to N Dale Mabry & Kennedy, for <=200K. Are there any recommendations or is that combination impossible and I better figure on working from home, farther away???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 05:38 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,151,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper1234 View Post
Hi All: I am going to be moving to Florida from Upstate NY in January. I am single & 55. My employer has generously offered to let me choose between (1) working from a office at N Dale Mabry & Kennedy, or (2) work from home anywhere in the state. Once I choose, though, I am locked to that choice.

My budget is only about 200K, which limits my options. I think I would prefer to work from the office for social reasons, but with my budget, I won't be all too close to the office, and I think I am looking at a commute of >30 minutes to find a house I can afford.

So my question is this. I am willing to work anywhere that is less than a 30 minute commute to N Dale Mabry & Kennedy, for <=200K. Are there any recommendations or is that combination impossible and I better figure on working from home, farther away???
I really don't understand why people move here and feel they have to purchase a property immediately, especially someone like you who is single and not moving a family. I get that moving twice is a PITA, but it is far less of a PITA than purchasing something in haste without getting to know the area first and then having to sell for whatever reason. Why not rent close to the office, work there and then take your time and find the right property that fits your budget? Get familiar with the Tampa Bay area, establish contacts, explore your options. People will disagree with me, but I think you can find something for that price within 30 minutes or less of the office if you do your homework, stay alert for opportunities and put out feelers.

Purchase in haste, repent at leisure.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:01 PM

The answer is: I only get one bite on the apple. When I leave NY, I have to choose working in the office or working from home. I don't have the luxury of trying renting temporarily: if I rent, the option to go to the office is off the table, and I won't be allowed to move to a new location if I decide to buy. What you suggest is what I wish I could do....but it is not an option.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:08 PM

877 posts, read 1,907,260 times
There are places within 30 minutes to there (small) that would work, but if I were you I'd get a cheap condo on a beach somewhere and work from home.

At 55 you may want to work from home from a 55+ area. My parents love The Villages.

Good luck!

Old 11-25-2015, 06:26 PM

What area has a beach condo in that price range?

Old 11-25-2015, 09:17 PM

34,944 posts, read 31,087,664 times
Why do you even need to live in the metro proper?

Last edited by Sunscape; 11-26-2015 at 03:33 AM..

Old 11-26-2015, 03:16 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,595,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper1234 View Post

Here's what I don't get: IF you were given the option of working out of an office, why do they care where you live or weather you rent or own???

There might be beach condo's in that price range in Clearwater etc., but you'll have to walk through and check fees and so forth.

Old 11-26-2015, 04:11 AM

350 posts, read 332,384 times
Welcome!! You are going to love it here!!! And I get why you want to work in the office, many more opportunities to become acclimated to this part of Heaven. We moved from Indiana 7.5 years ago and could not be happier. Our Indiana realtor owns her business and is part of Carpenter Real Estate. After she sold our home (FOUR DAYS after listing), she connected us with a realtor here. I cannot say enough good things about this lady. Judy knows everything about the market. She "led" us from Indiana to a beautiful home here. Our daughter moved here 4 years ago. Two years ago, she decided to buy a home. Judy found her a house 15 minutes from the Gulf, got her into a first time buyer program and the process took from March to May. She can find you something in a great neighborhood close to your work in your price range. PM me if you would like her info. I LOVE TAMPA!!!

Old 11-26-2015, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Here's what I don't get: IF you were given the option of working out of an office, why do they care where you live or weather you rent or own???
There's costs associated with setting me up at home, and separate costs to put me in an office that, while part of the same company, has completely different job families then the one I am part of. So they are generous to do it at all, but they only want to pay once. It's not perfect for me, but pretty darn close to be given the opportunity at all.

Old 11-26-2015, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Why do you even need to live in the metro proper?
I can live anywhere I want if I don't mind being alone 24 hours/day. At least if I work in the office, I'll have people around me 8 hours/day. But once the commute gets north of 30 minutes, I think I would just prefer wfh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay