U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-26-2015, 03:11 PM
 
5 posts, read 3,655 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Doing online research revealed (correctly? erroneously?) that I can have a choice of energy providers in New Port Richey where I've just been approved for an apartment which will require me to cover my own electricity expenses.

If the information about energy provider choice is "true," and if both services-- "Tampa Electric" and "Florida Power & Light" --are indeed available in, and competing for, the NPR market, then which would I be better going with, factoring everything from bottom-line costs (always the primary incentive), stability/reliability, frequency of [routine] power outages, response time to power restoration in the event of outages, etc.?

Service will be established for a small one bedroom apartment with one full-sized refrigerator/freezer, an electric over/range, and (assume) electric water heater -- with the only other incidental consumptions of power coming from a frequently running home computer network (tower station and laptop) with 5.1 sound system, occasionally a small oscillating fan, and MAYBE (if it ever gets that cold in this part of the country) the occasional use of a small "space heater," outside of the other "normally expected" energy use situations such as lights, battery recharging, alarm clock/radio, etc. (*NO "Televisions" or "Air Conditioners").

Any information, clarifications or suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-26-2015, 03:14 PM
 
13,572 posts, read 9,243,116 times
Reputation: 4361
I never knew you can have a choice. I am in the same area and don't have them comps for my power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2015, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,548 posts, read 3,656,347 times
Reputation: 3321
I can't imagine you can make a choice. There will be a single utility supplier to a given address. I have never heard of multiple power suppliers being at the same location. This is pretty well dictated by the public service regulations.

You need to ask the lessor the question specifically.

Both utilities do serve the New Port Richey area, but their service areas would be unique to the given utility. There wouldn't be any overlap.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2015, 08:20 PM
 
25,803 posts, read 39,015,790 times
Reputation: 13792
I haven't heard of being able to make your own choice. I would double check on that as usually one service the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2015, 09:29 PM
 
5 posts, read 3,655 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I never knew you can have a choice. I am in the same area and don't have them comps for my power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I can't imagine you can make a choice. There will be a single utility supplier to a given address. I have never heard of multiple power suppliers being at the same location. This is pretty well dictated by the public service regulations.

You need to ask the lessor the question specifically.

Both utilities do serve the New Port Richey area, but their service areas would be unique to the given utility. There wouldn't be any overlap.

RM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I haven't heard of being able to make your own choice. I would double check on that as usually one service the area.
I am not surprised at the dubious responses (it indeed does reek of suspicion). For the background of what inspired my question, I can only direct everyone to the webpage at the following link:

Electricity company in 34652 zip code - NEW PORT RICHEY Energy Providers -Florida compare plan and rates of txu energy, reliant energy, just energy



.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2015, 05:29 AM
 
Location: CFL
903 posts, read 2,233,639 times
Reputation: 979
Easy to sort out. Call each one and ask them to give you the previous persons average bill. I often do this to get a sense of how much i will need to budget. One of them previously served the address. If the other cannot serve it they will say so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2015, 05:56 AM
 
4,586 posts, read 4,606,359 times
Reputation: 4358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace-of-Stars View Post
Doing online research revealed (correctly? erroneously?) that I can have a choice of energy providers in New Port Richey where I've just been approved for an apartment which will require me to cover my own electricity expenses.

If the information about energy provider choice is "true," and if both services-- "Tampa Electric" and "Florida Power & Light" --are indeed available in, and competing for, the NPR market, then which would I be better going with, factoring everything from bottom-line costs (always the primary incentive), stability/reliability, frequency of [routine] power outages, response time to power restoration in the event of outages, etc.?

Service will be established for a small one bedroom apartment with one full-sized refrigerator/freezer, an electric over/range, and (assume) electric water heater -- with the only other incidental consumptions of power coming from a frequently running home computer network (tower station and laptop) with 5.1 sound system, occasionally a small oscillating fan, and MAYBE (if it ever gets that cold in this part of the country) the occasional use of a small "space heater," outside of the other "normally expected" energy use situations such as lights, battery recharging, alarm clock/radio, etc. (*NO "Televisions" or "Air Conditioners").

Any information, clarifications or suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks!
You can't choose; it's area based. If the house is in FPL you'll have FPL, if not you'll have TECO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2015, 06:13 AM
 
Location: Tampa Bay`. ><((((>.`><((((>
4,500 posts, read 6,560,485 times
Reputation: 13470
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I can't imagine you can make a choice. There will be a single utility supplier to a given address. I have never heard of multiple power suppliers being at the same location. This is pretty well dictated by the public service regulations.

You need to ask the lessor the question specifically.

Both utilities do serve the New Port Richey area, but their service areas would be unique to the given utility. There wouldn't be any overlap.

RM
This is it. No choices.
__________________
My mod posts will always be in red.
The Rules Infractions & Deletions Who's the moderator? FAQ What is a "Personal Attack" What is "Trolling" Guidelines for copyrighted material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2015, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,548 posts, read 3,656,347 times
Reputation: 3321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
This is it. No choices.
Exactly. I worked with power distribution utilities all over the US and Canada for 20+ years, and I never saw a location that was served by two utilities at the same time.

I checked both utility's web sites for coverage maps, but they don't have them. From their service area descriptions, it sounds like both of them serve areas of NPR, but don't overlap.

If you call one of them with the service address they'll be able to tell who who services it, even if it's not theirs.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2015, 03:57 PM
 
13,572 posts, read 9,243,116 times
Reputation: 4361
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
You can't choose; it's area based. If the house is in FPL you'll have FPL, if not you'll have TECO.
It could be Withlacoochee as i have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:31 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top