Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 06:33 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times

Advertisements

Only after you make a visit and are completely sure, you want to make the move. My advice is to make sure you are considering, a lot more than climates. There is so much to consider. Florida is crowded and it feels it especially now, and it keeps coming thru the winter months. It feels much more crowded than Arizona. If life in Arizona as far as mindsets is of a concern to you, then don't expect big improvements in Tampa. They are both very conservative areas of the USA. Both areas differ on some aspects. Arizona is Western with many Calif transplants. That has an impact on the personality of Arizona. Florida (Tampa) its the deep south. Although it's population is heavy transplants, it is still very southern. You have to be comfortable with the culture to live here. It becomes the deep south within a few miles of Tampa proper. That is as you go East and inland. Anywhere along the coast is like much of Florida. Mile after miles of Snowbirds and transplants to the area. It really is very crowded and non stop sprawl. Less transit than Phoenix and nobody cares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 07:01 PM

14 posts, read 16,249 times
I hope by southern you mean hospitality. Which there is absolutely zero out here. I appreciate a comment not solely focused on weather. It is a concern because of the extremes but not the basis of our decision. I dont really care too much for politics because to me its not a matter of red or blue its a matter of character and kindness. I get along with everyone. But thank you for the insight Jimrob1.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:17 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSnowflake View Post
I hope by southern you mean hospitality. Which there is absolutely zero out here. I appreciate a comment not solely focused on weather. It is a concern because of the extremes but not the basis of our decision. I dont really care too much for politics because to me its not a matter of red or blue its a matter of character and kindness. I get along with everyone. But thank you for the insight Jimrob1.
Most people don't find Florida to be Southern. I grew up in FL and never once found it to be Southern or have hospitality, and I'm being objective here. I moved from FL to NC a few months ago, and this is really the first time I've ever been in the South. Culturally, Florida is not the South. Yes, some of the outskirt areas of Tampa may feel Southern, but for the most part no. It's no more Southern than Arizona or NY is.

I think you should definitely visit first if Tampa ends up on your shortlist.

Last edited by PDF; 11-28-2015 at 07:29 PM..

Old 11-28-2015, 07:57 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSnowflake View Post
The heat alone was bad but the worst part is that it doesn't cool at night--daytime high 115-120 overnight low 102-- the 100s hit about late April and go one until early November. There is no wind, and forget about opening your windows for some cool air or to let out the stale A/C. All the time you hop from one air conditioned place to another and when the monsoons hit then its humid...really humid. Then the drivers...fatal accidents everyday and not only on the freeways because no one uses their blinker. People can open carry and paired with road rage there are shootings all the time. I live in the better part of the Phoenix metro but have to deal with aggressive and inconsiderate neighbors. I think people out here are mean because of the heat and having no real way to cool off. Even the pools feel like bathwater.
You just described Florida!
Same here about the AC, no windows open etc! Don't move here; it's just AZ + Humidity.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:32 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Only after you make a visit and are completely sure, you want to make the move. My advice is to make sure you are considering, a lot more than climates. There is so much to consider. Florida is crowded and it feels it especially now, and it keeps coming thru the winter months. It feels much more crowded than Arizona. If life in Arizona as far as mindsets is of a concern to you, then don't expect big improvements in Tampa. They are both very conservative areas of the USA. Both areas differ on some aspects. Arizona is Western with many Calif transplants. That has an impact on the personality of Arizona. Florida (Tampa) its the deep south. Although it's population is heavy transplants, it is still very southern. You have to be comfortable with the culture to live here. It becomes the deep south within a few miles of Tampa proper. That is as you go East and inland. Anywhere along the coast is like much of Florida. Mile after miles of Snowbirds and transplants to the area. It really is very crowded and non stop sprawl. Less transit than Phoenix and nobody cares.
That is all so much nonsense. Have you ever lived in Tampa? Have you ever lived in the true South, a place like Memphis?

Tampa is light years away from being at all close to "Southern". Most of the people, particularly those under the age of 60, are not religious, are not socially conservative, and don't even have roots in the South.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:38 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
That is all so much nonsense. Have you ever lived in Tampa? Have you ever lived in the true South, a place like Memphis?

Tampa is light years away from being at all close to "Southern". Most of the people, particularly those under the age of 60, are not religious, are not socially conservative, and don't even have roots in the South.

I live in Lakeland Florida between Orlando and Tampa in Polk County. Which is basically an exurb of Tampa. It is very southern in these many communities just as you leave Tampa. Starting with Plant City. Many people here are natives to this area for generations. Actually I have lived in the suburbs of Memphis when I was in the military. Pretty much the same as this area of Florida. I don't think there are many people at all that would differ, with what I described where I described. Polk County Fla which is part of Metro Tampa.

I'm sorry you don't think so, but then I'm sorry this sure as hell is not Manhattan here. It is religious and very much what it is.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:39 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Most people don't find Florida to be Southern. I grew up in FL and never once found it to be Southern or have hospitality, and I'm being objective here. I moved from FL to NC a few months ago, and this is really the first time I've ever been in the South. Culturally, Florida is not the South. Yes, some of the outskirt areas of Tampa may feel Southern, but for the most part no. It's no more Southern than Arizona or NY is.

I think you should definitely visit first if Tampa ends up on your shortlist.
No wonder , since the state is full of newyorkers.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:00 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I live in Lakeland Florida between Orlando and Tampa in Polk County. Which is basically an exurb of Tampa. It is very southern in these many communities just as you leave Tampa. Starting with Plant City. Many people here are natives to this area for generations. Actually I have lived in the suburbs of Memphis when I was in the military. Pretty much the same as this area of Florida. I don't think there are many people at all that would differ, with what I described where I described. Polk County Fla which is part of Metro Tampa.

I'm sorry you don't think so, but then I'm sorry this sure as hell is not Manhattan here. It is religious and very much what it is.
I don't consider Polk County as part of the Tampa Metro area.

I think there is some truth to both statements.

While I don't think of the culture in Tampa as "Southern" in the sense that culture in say Mississippi or the Carolinas is "Southern", having worked in places outside of Tampa such as Plant City, there is definitely a bastion of Southern culture in these small town rural areas.

I have to suspect that it is mainly due to a large part of their populace being second and third generation residents, and the somewhat closed society that they possess. Outsiders are just that and treated as such. There are strong connections to the local community and activity within it.

I got a kick out of the first thing most Plant City residents asked me when I first started working there: "What church do you go to?"

RM

Old 11-29-2015, 07:47 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,781 times
I would look for somewhere with more moderate weather than Tampa. Having lived in AZ for many years your description is very exaggerated and a bit bizarre. It is not 100 degrees in November - past Oct 1 is rare as is temps over 115, maybe less than 5 days per summer and some years not at all. 120 degrees is very rare. Phoenix has NEVER recorded a triple digit overnight low. Neither Phoenix or Tampa is anywhere you want to spend a summer afternoon outside unless your in the pool. It may only be in the low 90's in FL but with the humidity the "feels like" temp is often over 100.
As far as the people go I think you get what you give. Although having worked with the general public in AZ and Florida - I'll take AZ ANYDAY!!!!

Also - Forbes picked AZ as one of the best states for job growth.

Last edited by Garson; 11-29-2015 at 07:55 AM..

Old 11-29-2015, 12:09 PM

4 posts, read 4,294 times
I can't speak to the entry level jobs compared to Az, but I do hire domestic workers and find them quite plentiful and hard working, which suggests to me that jobs are NOT easy to come by, at least out in the suburbs. Isn't it like that in most parts of the US now? If you are looking for a corporate entry level job, there aren't a lot of those here.

As for the weather, I'd take a desert Az day over a Florida summer or fall day, any old time. I can't stand humidity. It makes desert weather seem easy, and I have spent enough time in the desert to know.

Crime wise, I suspect Tampa is relatively safe over all, unless you choose a notoriously bad area.

Cost of living is fantastic, but medical is a hassle and public schools are not great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay