U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 05:03 AM

4,091 posts, read 4,679,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjosephunf View Post
Not meaning to get off topic but I must say your statement = Elitist much?! Claiming individuals in Seminole Heights, Tampa Heights, and Ybor City do not shop at Publix. Ha! Sem Heights/Sulpher Springs has had a Publix location since the 60's. Publix to me isn't Fresh Market, Whole Foods, or even Wegmans. Yes it is a "nice" store has a broad demographic, but it certainly is not posh/trendy IMO.
Click their screen name and click "find all posts by." You'll quickly see the quality of their posts.

As to Publix in Downtown Tampa, this is awesome. I don't quite understand when Bayshore became a part of Downtown, but it will be nice for their to be a grocery store for the people of Downtown Tampa and Ybor City. That said, the rumor has been that Publix was going to open in the area. It's significantly better than the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market that was being praised for the Encore project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 06:26 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,136,795 times
The Bayshore Publix is a short distance from the high rise buildings like Sykes. Don't know why all the arguments about whether Publix is or isn't downtown. For all practical purposes it served downtown district well. In fact it is closer to those office buildings than over by Channelside.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:40 AM

769 posts, read 591,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
The Bayshore Publix is a short distance from the high rise buildings like Sykes. Don't know why all the arguments about whether Publix is or isn't downtown. For all practical purposes it served downtown district well. In fact it is closer to those office buildings than over by Channelside.
But more people LIVE over by Channelside.

Publix better serves residents, not people working in the towers... I know people go over there for lunch, but parking sucks and it's inconvenient for them and not a real close or safe walk

Old 12-02-2015, 12:54 PM

165 posts, read 176,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Click their screen name and click "find all posts by." You'll quickly see the quality of their posts.

As to Publix in Downtown Tampa, this is awesome. I don't quite understand when Bayshore became a part of Downtown, but it will be nice for their to be a grocery store for the people of Downtown Tampa and Ybor City. That said, the rumor has been that Publix was going to open in the area. It's significantly better than the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market that was being praised for the Encore project.
Whatever it is you are trying to say about me just say it. No need to get all personal dude! I'm a twenty-something that calls things out as I see it. I'm deeply rooted in Social Justice and aim to filter a-lot of misinformation in regards to developments in the City of Tampa, and the subtle racist/classist undertones on this forum.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:09 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,136,795 times
I don't think he's talking about your posts. That particular poster has an OCD when people make reference to Tampa city limits, or references to Downtown Tampa. My point was that the Bayshore Publix is practically downtown - about a block from the Convention Center.

Publix is FLA's best grocery chain, imo and I'm sure they know where to put their stores to make a profit. Channelside is supposed to be transformed greatly with Jeff Vinik's plan. I'm sure that store will do just as well as their other stores in the area.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:34 PM

769 posts, read 591,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I don't think he's talking about your posts. That particular poster has an OCD when people make reference to Tampa city limits, or references to Downtown Tampa. My point was that the Bayshore Publix is practically downtown - about a block from the Convention Center.

Publix is FLA's best grocery chain, imo and I'm sure they know where to put their stores to make a profit. Channelside is supposed to be transformed greatly with Jeff Vinik's plan. I'm sure that store will do just as well as their other stores in the area.
It's also frequented by more affluent people. Very few of which live in the North, West and East "peripheries" of downtown Tampa. That's why there arent any Publix stores in a huge section of town including West Tampa, the Kennedy Blvd corridoor, anywhere in East Tampa or North Tampa. The one in Seminole Heights was built in the 1990's, it's a VERY small store serving what I can only describe as a small pocket of "decent" in a sea of bad.

Since it's the only Publix anywhere near Seminole Heights, most of those people shop there.

There's not money to be made when you are Publix and put stores in, or near, the hood. That's why there arent any in South St. Pete (they closed the one on 22nd Ave S back in the 80's) or in most of the no-man's land North and East of 275 or in West Tampa

Old 12-02-2015, 03:33 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,386 posts, read 10,481,090 times
Publix has done an excellent job with their Downtown stores in other areas, such as Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale. It will be interesting to see what other changes happen to DT Tampa in the next few years.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:06 PM

4,817 posts, read 3,468,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjosephunf View Post
Whatever it is you are trying to say about me just say it. No need to get all personal dude! I'm a twenty-something that calls things out as I see it. I'm deeply rooted in Social Justice and aim to filter a-lot of misinformation in regards to developments in the City of Tampa, and the subtle racist/classist undertones on this forum.
Not subtle at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or