Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 07:37 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
They really do not own Trader Joe's but the same family does. I am a huge Trader Joe's fan and like Aldi's for some things. I do know some people say a few of the products are the same, just different labeling. I don't know about that, but find them very different. Trader Joe's is a specialty store, Aldi's is a discount store. I don't see a lot of resemblance.
Exactly!

First and foremost we look for interesting foods. Then we try to find them at a fair price (though I'll pay the freight at Locale Market for specialty items). We spend most of our food dollars at Mazzaros and Trader Joes.

Made an exploratory visit to MD Oriental Market and were much impressed. We are going back for our Xmas protein....either rabbit or goat. They have a great seafood section, including live shrimp and live fish.

MD's deli has great char siu pork and roasted duck......mmmm the duck was exceptional and the pork was excellent and at very good prices for take-away.

Nice to have all these choices!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 09:52 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,224,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Not so much; it's more that we would rather not want to be robbed while buying eggs or bananas!
This made me LOL. I'm always the youngest one there..... and I'm not that young anymore. I'm seeing one of the little old ladies hitting me with her cane as she steals my cart.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:46 AM

769 posts, read 829,526 times
I don't get trader joes either... guess i'm not hip enough

Old 12-10-2015, 11:28 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,208 times
Quote:
No. You're not.

The ones in FL are different even from the ones in NY...we went to 1 in Frankfurt and boy what a difference that was!!!!!

They turned it into the "poor man's store" here in FL which is a shame.
They're the same in NY - checked it 3 months ago.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Same here, Mnita. But I DO buy beef there, they carry organic grass-fed at a great price. Plus they have GREAT bacon, and I also buy Cornish hens. I do not buy their regular meat or chicken. They carry a full line of organics at very cheap prices now. The store where I shop has gotten more high-end on all the products they carry, but much cheaper than at other stores. I agree ALDI and TJ are very different, but what is the same is they carry quality products a low prices, small stores, and kind of the same business model.
I have had good luck with the chicken, especially when thighs are on sale for .79 lb; same with pork shoulder. Ours does not carry organic meats, but they do have a nice line of healthy choice dairy products and a few other foods. Hubby thinks the canned soups are much better than brands at higher prices. I am no a canned soup person (only fresh, homemade soups) so I can't judge.

I crack up at people who call Aldi's the poor man's store. I can guarantee you I know a lot of people who shop at Aldi's and then head to the fresh fish market and pay $20 a lb for Halibut.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
This made me LOL. I'm always the youngest one there..... and I'm not that young anymore. I'm seeing one of the little old ladies hitting me with her cane as she steals my cart.
The last thing I am worried about is getting robbed at our Aldi's. I agree, some of the shoppers are not the type I would be playing Bridge with, but let's not be so judgmental.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:21 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,607,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
that's overly dramatic
Not at all actually. If you'd like I can provide images. Those speak louder than words usually.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:22 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,607,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post
They're the same in NY - checked it 3 months ago.
Not where we were. We went up there back in August again and those have a different line of products. (Buffalo area, not the city).

The chocolate was the same, the other stuff not so much.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:24 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,522,851 times
Quote:
Not at all actually. If you'd like I can provide images. Those speak louder than words usually.
Yes, please provide some images lol.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:31 AM

306 posts, read 451,468 times
I do my regular grocery shopping at Publix, but I also shop at TJ and Aldi. I love Aldi for the chocolates first of all , but I also buy some pasta and sauces from there, and my husband likes some of their cheeses.

That being said, last time we shopped at the Fletcher location (a few months ago), our debit card was skimmed. We know for sure it happened there, because we usually don't use the debit card anywhere else. Luckily, our bank returned us the money in record time. We also wrote to Aldi to let them know. A customer representative replied saying that they would call us, but nothing happened, so beware.

Also, at that particular location, there are a few people outside almost every time, either asking for money, or offering to take back the cart (so they can get the 25 cents). I don't think this has to do with Aldi though, it's the University Plaza after all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay