U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 08:53 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,110,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Not so much; it's more that we would rather not want to be robbed while buying eggs or bananas!
If anyone's getting held up, I'd expect it to be at high-end grocery store where people actually have money.

I've found that the people in Aldis and other discount stores are more approachable, friendly, talkative. The people I see at Publix seem to be high strung, uptight, overly dramatic and complainers.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 06:01 PM

2,708 posts, read 4,386,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have had good luck with the chicken, especially when thighs are on sale for .79 lb; same with pork shoulder. Ours does not carry organic meats, but they do have a nice line of healthy choice dairy products and a few other foods. Hubby thinks the canned soups are much better than brands at higher prices. I am no a canned soup person (only fresh, homemade soups) so I can't judge.

I crack up at people who call Aldi's the poor man's store. I can guarantee you I know a lot of people who shop at Aldi's and then head to the fresh fish market and pay $20 a lb for Halibut.
We normally don't reply to outrageous claim of some of the posters here whether it is being robbed at Aldi or some other baloney. We take it as entertainment.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:55 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,466,391 times
I love Aldi. But how did I have absolutely no idea they were already in Tampa?

Old 12-17-2015, 09:32 AM

150 posts, read 94,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Am I the only person totally underwhelmed by this much-hyped store?
I bought a frozen pizza from there. It was terrible. Mostly bread, not cheese or sauce! Forget that!

Old 12-17-2015, 10:49 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,110,720 times
Frozen pizza? Probably the last item I'd buy at Aldi stores or any grocery store,.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:25 PM

3,923 posts, read 10,292,044 times
I bought grapes at Aldi's, this week, I paid $3.49 for two pounds. It's not uncommon for the 2lb bag to be as low as $1.99. At all other stores, they are that much for 1lb. A lot of their items are labeled GMO free with no artificial ingredients, and the packaging is mostly all recyclable. I like some of their other things, too (Greek yogurt, real butter, chocolate and more). The $12.99 1/2lb frozen lobster tails were excellent. Things like snacks and soda, I didn't like very much. But they have a money back guarantee for anything you don't like so we haven't hesitated to try things. I do buy from other stores but only for things Aldi's doesn't carry.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:33 PM

25,787 posts, read 39,007,818 times
My issue with Aldi is that it is a German store and in Europe in all Countries they have native food but also the German brands and bread that is so good. Over here it is just a store that has the same set up but nothing further that resembles the Aldi products.

For us it was a disappointment as we had maybe our hope too high and in a way it is understandable as most Americans probably don't care about German food.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:35 PM

15,117 posts, read 31,011,075 times
OK, so I went to ALDI today, hadn't been for awhile. I had gotten lazy about driving there and shopping at the close-by Publix. OMG I totally have to be shopping there as my main store. They have really upgraded almost everything they sell. As for frozen pizza, DON'T buy the "Mama Cozzi" brand. Wait for the "Specially Selected" that are made in Italy - they are fantastic, and so cheap = only $3.69! I stocked up.

Everything there is high quality and sooooooo much cheaper than Publix or TJ. With the upgraded line of products they sell, I have little reason to shop at TJ except for a very occasional foray. This store totally ROCKS!

Old 12-17-2015, 03:37 PM

3,923 posts, read 10,292,044 times
Thanks for the information, or I wouldn't have known. Can't rep anymore for some reason. I still like many of their products, probably like you said, made for the American market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
My issue with Aldi is that it is a German store and in Europe in all Countries they have native food but also the German brands and bread that is so good. Over here it is just a store that has the same set up but nothing further that resembles the Aldi products.

For us it was a disappointment as we had maybe our hope too high and in a way it is understandable as most Americans probably don't care about German food.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:44 PM

3,798 posts, read 3,491,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
The no credit cards is a PITA. The shopping cart system is Mickey Mouse. We go there about once in six weeks.
This!!!!^^^
I felt like a dunce the 1st time I went in...they lured me in with 49 cent pomegranates!!I i bought the whole bin 10 of them!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or