U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2015, 07:10 AM

162 posts, read 123,378 times

Advertisements

We're likely relocating to St. Pete in early 2016 due to a job opportunity for my husband, and I'm having a hard time deciding on a neighborhood to target. We'd like to buy and move in by April 1, as the new company will recover all relocation and moving costs, and we don't want to move twice within a short period of time and have to pay for the second move.

So far, I've identified Old Northeast, Historic Uptown, Historic Kenwood, Woodlawn, Crescent Lake/Heights, Euclid-St. Paul, Old Southeast, and the immediately surrounding areas. Are there any other areas we should look into? We're looking for a neighborhood that is vibrant and family-friendly (we have two young kids) with close proximity to parks, walking distance to at least some bars, restaurants, and coffee shops, and is safe to walk around in 24/7 (some property crime is ok). We're not looking for a gated community or anything super suburban, and our price range is a max of $500K for a 3-4 bedroom house.

Can anyone share your experiences (good and bad) with these neighborhoods? Are there other neighborhoods/areas that we should consider? Are there any other online forums or Facebook groups you would suggest visiting to learn more? I'm already following almost all of the above neighborhoods on Facebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 07:22 AM

43 posts, read 89,812 times
The neighbors in Historic Kenwood were great. I loved their block parties every month. The neighbors knew each other and helped out. The problem is it's off the highway and therefore a great place to to commit crime and get away fast. At least that's what a cop told me.

I loved walking to the coffee shops, bookstores, etc. If it was after dark I made sure I had my two big dogs by my side to feel safe. People want to defend the crime as any other place but here was my reality of it......... In 14 years a car got stolen during a drug deal and a baby was inside. They ditched it in the alley behind me. I stayed inside unaware of the kidnapping outside my back door. My neighbors got robbed at gunpoint in front of my driveway with their kids present getting out of their car. My fence got knocked down at 2 am while they arrested a man on a cop chase after he plowed his car through the fence into my yard. Two men broke into my yard fleeing from something as I got out of the shower mid day and realized my dog sounded funny and locked the door. They didn't stay long after my dog bared his teeth. Let me not forgot the domestic abuse, the sound of breaking glass and cries for help that I heard on a regular basis as I dialed 911. And the dude was crazy enough to hurl a hammer at a neighbor who tried to step in and help as he shattered windows on her station wagon. Or the heroin my neighbor loved as he would leave needles around in the alley. He enjoyed a good smoke and set my fence on fire accidentally while he was in LA LA land.

And even he was nice and confessed he wanted help. A man with potential. I really liked his mom and we talked about ways to help him as she felt lost. Mind you not everyone in Kenwood fit that demographic. But there was just too much I witnessed so after I had a son and got married I moved. The culture is great but I didn't want to worry about my son walking to the park as a young kid and left one year ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or