U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 01:56 PM

21 posts, read 21,580 times

Advertisements

Tampa's very safe, I wouldn't worry about that as long as you pick the right area. That said, it sounds like a location near the beach is your top priority. Tampa's not a beach town, it can take anywhere from 35-60 minutes (sometimes more depending on traffic) to get out to the coast.

Since you seem to be open to other areas, I'd suggest doing some research on the coastal counties of Tampa Bay - Pinellas, Manatee & Sarasota. All have their own quirky towns and sound like they could be a better fit than the metro-Tampa area for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 08:21 PM

44 posts, read 37,484 times
Haha, Norfolk stinks! I use to live there and in VA Beach. One place I will NEVER live again. ever. ever. ever. I cannot offer any advice on Tampa as I'm relocating there myself in January.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:25 PM

769 posts, read 590,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ctobersongs View Post
Haha, Norfolk stinks! I use to live there and in VA Beach. One place I will NEVER live again. ever. ever. ever. I cannot offer any advice on Tampa as I'm relocating there myself in January.
Yeah, they dont call Norfolk "sh1t city" for nothing...

Old 12-29-2015, 08:30 PM

190 posts, read 133,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd711 View Post
cubsfan, you should just hush, i offered my opinion just as everyone else. believe me had i known how racist a place this was i wold have stayed where i was when i retired from the navy
Blah blah blah.. you and the racism this, racism that nonsense. You know where you could be right? but by all means nothings stopping you from going.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:21 AM

25 posts, read 18,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post

Being from that area, I would recommend you do a little driving around, you can tell where the good areas are and where the bad ones are just from a cursory look at the buildings and people in the vacinity...

I can tell you I tell people to completely avoid the entire area North of I-275, East of Dale Mabry, South of Bearss. And also anything North of I-4 period, except a very small part of Temple Terrace and except New Tampa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov03baby View Post
Look at Carrollwood, Citrus Park, Westchase, Oldsmar, South Tampa, Countryside, Safety Harbor and Palm Harbor if you want a really safe area not too far from the beach with good schools. New Tampa, Lutz, Pebble Creek and Wesley Chapel are really nice areas too, but further from the beach.

THESE!!

We just went through the "looking prior to moving process". Relocating from Chicago and working throughout the various parts of its city and suburbs, I know what "areas to avoid" look like. Like CubsFan said.....a drive by will tell you most of what you need to know.

I did a LOT of homework (thanks to all at this site for their input!) and made 7 trips down to consider all the options. Those mentioned above would fill my list, along with a few others perhaps. Depending on what you are looking for, Land O Lakes has some nice areas (but not so much for shopping/commercial). Check out some of the areas North of 54/East of the tollway. Also some nice areas off of Collier. Areas to the SE like Brandon/Valrico/Riverview are affordable but offer A LOT of congestion IMHO. Also....depending on your tastes and BUDGET....there are, of course, nice places along the gulf coast side. Eclectic neighborhoods, touristy, expensive, and congestion are words that would also come to mind.

We settled our search on the areas around Wesley Chapel/Lutz/LOL. Yes.....quite a bit of traffic during rush hour, but all the conveniences you could want while still being less than an hour from Downtown, the airport, the beach, and the wilderness.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited by Brunite; 12-30-2015 at 10:30 AM..

Old 01-04-2016, 07:27 PM

29 posts, read 19,254 times
I have lived in St. Petersburg my entire life and I love it here!! There is less crime here than in Tampa. You are also close to the beach and there is a ton of stuff to do downtown (tons of museums, bars, restaurants...)

Old 01-05-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghanandjaredmcnally View Post
I have lived in St. Petersburg my entire life and I love it here!! There is less crime here than in Tampa. You are also close to the beach and there is a ton of stuff to do downtown (tons of museums, bars, restaurants...)

"Tons of stuff to do"

I call BS on that.

Unless you are a 20 something or alcoholic. There's no lack of bars, I give you that.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:46 AM

Ok. We'll I AM 29. But I don't drink....there the beach, museums, why live here if you hate it?

Old 01-05-2016, 07:50 AM

What museums other than the Dali?

Old 01-05-2016, 08:04 AM

Museum of Fine Arts, Holocaust Museum, Museum of History, Florida International Museum....and awesome small gallories throughout downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or