U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 10:32 AM

3 posts, read 3,471 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I are relocating to Tampa from Chicago in early February and have narrowed it down to these suburban towns. We already have jobs lined up with our current employers (both working remote) so a commute to the downtown isn't really a factor unless something happens and we need to look for work.

Having said that, we're in our mid-30's with no kids yet and are looking for a place that is nice, safe and has some stuff to do in the area. We're out of the every weekend bar phase but would enjoy hitting a beer garden on occasion. Proximity to stores (mall, Costco, health club etc) is fairly important as well as living around people that are similar in age to us as we wont' have any friends in the area.

We'd like the rental house to have a pool but aren't opposed to a community pool and are looking at 3+ bedrooms and 2 baths. We're working with a realtor that has located some properties that fit this criteria. Oh and our budget at the top end is $1,800/mth. I'd like to hear from people who are familiar with the area, what they recommend for a town to live in. If you have a better idea for a town, let me know! We'd love to live near a beach but price-wise and potential commute down the road would probably prohibit this as we'd like a slightly newer house (built after 2000) Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 11:15 AM

769 posts, read 594,079 times
I can tell you that Land O Lakes has absolutely nothing for you as far as shopping and entertainment go. Schools are mediocre too.

Wesley Chapel is a little better, but not much. Schools good if you are on the Hillsborough County side

I would recommend of your 3 choices probably Brandon. There's a lot more dining, entertainment options and a huge mall...

Don't discount the Westchase area too

Old 12-18-2015, 11:56 AM

3 posts, read 3,471 times
Ok, so Land O Lakes is likely out unless a really nice house blows us away. Wesley Chapel seems to have a good mix of newer houses with a reasonable distance to the city. Just looked on a few rental sites and there doesn't seem to be much in Westchase and what is listed is beyond our budget. I do like the area though.

Thank you for your help.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:02 PM

191 posts, read 151,208 times
South Brandon has all that you mentioned. Also the Riverview area that adjoins South Brandon .... has huge Mall, Costco, Sams and any other popular stores you can think of. This area is also close to the Crosstown Expressway (toll road) for when you want quick access to downtown Tampa.
You mentioned house but if an apartment has all the space you need there's a complex called Ventura Bay off Gornto Lake Rd, and behind a Super Target on Bloomingdale Ave. It's gated and has a pool.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:57 PM

182 posts, read 117,156 times
Wesley Chapel is your best bet...

- In terms of shopping, Wiregrass Mall is in Wesley Chapel, and the new Outlet Mall is right across the bridge from W/C
- No Costco, but it does have Sams Club
- Plenty of new construction options; some with their own pool
- Plenty of gated communities with community pools

The drawback is that you are around 30 minutes from downtown Tampa and an hour or so from the beach.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:16 AM

876 posts, read 1,623,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pricklypeet View Post
So my wife and I are relocating to Tampa from Chicago in early February and have narrowed it down to these suburban towns. We already have jobs lined up with our current employers (both working remote) so a commute to the downtown isn't really a factor unless something happens and we need to look for work.

Having said that, we're in our mid-30's with no kids yet and are looking for a place that is nice, safe and has some stuff to do in the area. We're out of the every weekend bar phase but would enjoy hitting a beer garden on occasion. Proximity to stores (mall, Costco, health club etc) is fairly important as well as living around people that are similar in age to us as we wont' have any friends in the area.

We'd like the rental house to have a pool but aren't opposed to a community pool and are looking at 3+ bedrooms and 2 baths. We're working with a realtor that has located some properties that fit this criteria. Oh and our budget at the top end is $1,800/mth. I'd like to hear from people who are familiar with the area, what they recommend for a town to live in. If you have a better idea for a town, let me know! We'd love to live near a beach but price-wise and potential commute down the road would probably prohibit this as we'd like a slightly newer house (built after 2000) Thanks!
Wesley Chapel is your best choice. Lots to do near Wiregrass mall and a Costco is being built. With the new outlet mall a lot of new restaurants are going in as well. I recommend the health and fitness center at Florida Hospital Wesley Chapel as a nice place to work out.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
Wesley Chapel is a little better, but not much. Schools good if you are on the Hillsborough County side
There is no area of Wesley Chapel that is in Hillsborough County.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
I can tell you that Land O Lakes has absolutely nothing for you as far as shopping and entertainment go. Schools are mediocre too.
I agree that there is not much to do in Land O Lakes, but I would disagree that the schools are mediocre. The high school is highly ranked with an IB program.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:11 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,313,802 times
New Tampa is on the Hillsborough side and right next to Wesley Chapel. There are some very nice communities. The Wesley Chapel area is far nicer than Brandon or Riverview. The Brandon Mall area is gross.

There are also parts of Land O Lakes that are within minutes of Wesley Chapel.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:02 AM

25,876 posts, read 39,129,864 times
Rentals in Wesley Chapel go very fast as most homes are build after 2003 which means they are Hurricane 3 up to code which is a positive thing on top of the houses being newer.

If you have a community pool that means you are living in a HOA community and there are some rules and regulations that come with that but most people have no issue with that unless they drive a business car with advertisement which is not allowed in all of the HOA communities I'm aware of.

If you don't like rules than choose a house in a non HOA community so you won't get any issues.
Overall Land O'Lakes and Brandon has lower rent prices as demand in Wesley Chapel is higher due to what previous posters have described.

Brandon has a bigger mall but traffic is worse around the mall than around the Wesley Chapel malls. Land O'Lakes has no mall and not many restaurants.

If you prefer to go to the beach very often than all of these places may be a little further out but if you plan on going once or twice a month it is not a bad commute unless you want to be within 20 min from the beach but houses close to the beach are usually in a flood zone and usually older homes as more inland was build later than near the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or