U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 06:11 AM

2 posts, read 1,972 times

Advertisements

My GF who has never been in trouble with the law before, was arrested for DUI above .15 in Tampa

What do you thing the chances are of her having to do some jail time? She has a lawyer and will plead not guilty.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:27 AM

13,649 posts, read 9,313,791 times
No jail dale.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:28 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
If convicted I doubt she'll be sent to jail for a first time offense where no one was harmed,however it seems to be up to the judge as to what penalty will be paid,one thing for sure its going to be expensive.=
Quote:
Florida Statute Section 316.193 – DUI

Florida Statute Section 316.193 provides for the penalties that attached to a conviction for driving under the influence (“DUI”) in Tampa, Hillsborough County, Florida:
First DUI Penalties

• Incarceration: Up to six (6) months in the Hillsborough County Jail (if the BAL is .15 or higher or a minor was in the vehicle then the jail time is up to nine (9) months);
  • Term of Probation: Up to twelve (12) months (however the total period of probation and incarceration may not exceed 12 months);
  • DUI School: Level I twelve (12) hour class which includes a substance abuse evaluation and requires completion of any recommended follow up treatment before any hardship reinstatement (if reinstated after revocation period expires, failure to complete DUI school within 90 days after reinstatement will result in license cancellation);
  • Community Service: Mandatory 50 hours of community service (but the court may allow you to buy out the community service hours at a rate of $10 per hour);
  • Fine: The required fine for a first DUI in Florida is between $500 and $1,000 (with a BAL of .15 or higher or minor in the vehicle: Not less than $1,000, or more than $2,000. Court may grant community service in lieu of DUI fines if defendant is unable to pay);
  • Driver License Revocation Period: Minimum of six (6) months and maximum of twelve (12) months;
  • Hardship Reinstatement: In order to reinstate the driver’s license for hardship purposes such as “business purposes” or “work purposes” the driver is required to complete DUI school. You must show proof of liability coverage or FR-44 insurance, pay $115 administrative fee, a $60 reinstatement fee, and a fee for the Florida driver’s license.
  • Vehicle impoundment: Unless a hardship showing has been made, the Court must immobilize any vehicle in the defendant’s name for 10 days after any jail sentence is completed.
Click here to read more about the penalties for a First DUI in Tampa, Hillsborough County, FL.
Article last updated on Friday, July 10, 2015.
If you want to spend even more money you can hire a lawyer=
http://www.criminaldefenseattorneyta...ies/first-dui/

Old 12-24-2015, 06:53 AM

13,649 posts, read 9,313,791 times
Ins cost will be a killer now.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:45 AM

2 posts, read 1,972 times
Thanks for replies.
If the lawyer is able to get her charge dropped, insurance wouldn't still skyrocket would it?

Old 12-24-2015, 09:25 AM

4,823 posts, read 3,478,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
Thanks for replies.
If the lawyer is able to get her charge dropped, insurance wouldn't still skyrocket would it?
No, the insurance will go up depending on whatever charge she gets convicted of. Once she blows over the limit she is pretty hosed unless there is a procedural error on how the cops obtained that test.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:59 AM

25,877 posts, read 39,142,774 times
Another thing will be dealing with the mug shot ad arrest record in future cases of background checks and perhaps with her job.

I know of one case of a young lady who just started her first nursing job and got a DUI and she fired right away.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:26 AM

7,095 posts, read 3,457,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
Thanks for replies.
Why do you think she's entitled to having the charge dropped? She blew a 0.15, almost TWICE the legal limit. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

I had a very dear friend who was waiting for the light to change to cross the street....hit by a drunk driver and ended up in a nursing home, unable to walk or talk. Lived with that misery for 4+ years, his family lost their home. He died at the age of 58.

I have NO sympathy for any idiot who drives after even ONE DRINK, let alone blows TWICE the legal limit. Get her off the road before she kills someone. She should get jail time.....sober her up.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:50 PM
KPB

1,434 posts, read 923,531 times
If its her first DUI please don't make the mistake of hiring an attorney. Just claim your indigent and you will obtain a public defender. The reason I say this is because 95% of the time the court will reduce the DUI charge to a Reckless Driving charge. But part of the deal for them reducing it is she will have to do about 25 community service hours and 12 months probation which she can get off early in 6 months if she has her hours completed by that time.

If she refused to blow and refused roadside sobriety tests then I WOULD definitely hire an attorney to have it dismissed since its very hard to prove she was drunk unless she was on video falling down and such.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:53 PM
KPB

1,434 posts, read 923,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Another thing will be dealing with the mug shot ad arrest record in future cases of background checks and perhaps with her job.

I know of one case of a young lady who just started her first nursing job and got a DUI and she fired right away.
I know a pediatric nurse at St Joes woman's who got a DUI along w/ possession of cocaine who makes about 100k a year still working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay