Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 01:56 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times

Advertisements

Get canned foods, make sure you got batteries, flashlights, depending on the category, you might need stuff to board up your windows. They're usually not that bad as the media makes it out to be. All my family lives in Florida, and my aunt asks why I'm not that scared of tornadoes here in Texas, but I prefer them to hurricanes, funner to watch and they pass by quicker! Really though, they're not as destructive as tornadoes they just cover a wider area.

I remember Wilma and Katrina, we would go to the back porch when it calmed down a bit but was still raining. I love storms, rain, wind, snow or ice, it's all interesting. You just gotta respect nature and not do anything foolish and don't underestimate her strength either. Hurricanes aren't that frequent in Florida. They happen, but not necessarily every year. In fact, I don't remember one hitting since 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 09:32 AM

26 posts, read 20,657 times
Coming from Oklahoma where the tornadoes were a constant issue we have learned to adapt to power outages and such. The first thing I would do is go get the RV and back it in to the driveway. Yes this will make some of my neighbors a bit angry ( I think they have the code enforcement on speed dial) but I bet I will win them over once I fire up the generator and plug in the house. I will then offer for them to plug in their deep freezers to make sure they do not lose their groceries. and we can bring the TV out and as long as the in motion satellite works they will be able to track the storms with us. and drink beer!!!

Old 01-05-2016, 04:33 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROFILE CLIMB View Post
I want to move to Tampa and I wondered, do you hunker down or bail out of town for a while, what is you're plan for when these hit?
I haven't been here for a hurricane warning/scare. It's always good to be prepared. My plan is to stock up my travel traveler and haul myself up north to Georgia until all electricity, flooding, opportunistic crime has subsided.

Even though we haven't had a direct hit, we've had a few close calls in the state. To not have a plan is burying your head in the sand. The folks in New Orleans storm Katrina ignored warnings and were told to evacuate. They didn't and expected the government to help them out. I still think many of them were really stupid doing so.

We're going to have our share of stupid folks here in Tampa who will ride it out.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:35 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I haven't been here for a hurricane warning/scare.
I remember getting plenty of days off school in the mid/early-2000's. It was scary enough to cancel school. I believe one year we missed almost 2 weeks.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:46 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
Have 4 spare 5 gal. cans of gas so I can get far far away!

Old 01-07-2016, 06:04 PM

182 posts, read 170,780 times
Hurricanes do not hit Tampa. What do I do when I see a hurricane in the forecast?

- Go to the grocery store and see people buy inordinate amounts of bread and milk. Because, you know, when the hurricane hits, they'll need to eat 7 sandwiches for lunch instead of their usual 1.

- Go home, do everything I normally do, wake up, hear about minor flooding in certain parts of the city, learn that my place of work is still open as usual, and head on in.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chap View Post
Hurricanes do not hit Tampa. What do I do when I see a hurricane in the forecast?

- Go to the grocery store and see people buy inordinate amounts of bread and milk. Because, you know, when the hurricane hits, they'll need to eat 7 sandwiches for lunch instead of their usual 1.

- Go home, do everything I normally do, wake up, hear about minor flooding in certain parts of the city, learn that my place of work is still open as usual, and head on in.
sounds irresponsible - Katrina-like.....you know, like the folks who ignored warnings to leave NOLA.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:56 PM

182 posts, read 170,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
sounds irresponsible - Katrina-like.....you know, like the folks who ignored warnings to leave NOLA.
Not irresponsible at all. Realistic. Hurricanes DO NOT hit Tampa. A hurricane would have to travel like a boomerang to hit Tampa directly, which is next to impossible. Why waste time sitting in evacuating traffic (aka, interstate "parking lot") or going crazy buying excessive bread and milk. Get some rest, and go to work in the morning. Business as usual.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:57 AM

You a meteorologist? Google search Hurricane Charley path.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:34 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,523,924 times
Lived in Tampa since 1977 had never felt the need to evacuate and I lived on the bay (water). I did buy a generator during the 2004 storms and used it for an hour before power was turned on, haven't used it since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay