U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 04:25 PM

13,679 posts, read 9,336,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
I know... It'll be over soon though. Trial is a week away.
I would have never been at the movies to start with. As for the jerk with the cellphone it was all on him. As for the shooter he will go free. No one should have a cell on at the movies. Just be so nice to go back to the 70's before all this crap came out. I don't have a cell phone. And anyone that used one at the movies should be shot from the get go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 04:29 PM
KPB KPB started this thread

1,434 posts, read 926,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
He did not have to "fear for his life" although his death could have resulted if Oulson was able to continue his assault on Reeves.

776.012 Use or threatened use of force in defense of person.—

(2) A person is justified in using or threatening to use deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony. A person who uses or threatens to use deadly force in accordance with this subsection does not have a duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground if the person using or threatening to use the deadly force is not engaged in a criminal activity and is in a place where he or she has a right to be.[/b]
IMO he was engaged in "criminal activity" and also "had no right" to be there by taking a gun to a theatre that has "no firearm's allowed" signs posted.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:48 PM

3,018 posts, read 4,873,275 times
Quote:
IMO he was engaged in "criminal activity" and also "had no right" to be there by taking a gun to a theatre that has "no firearm's allowed" signs posted.
Those signs have no legal weight. This was addressed in a previous thread on the incident.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:57 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,915,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Agree...but after Casey Anthony anything is possible...
I don't want to go off topic, but the judge in that trial was interviewed years later and said he was shocked by the verdict. I thought a judge could put a verdict aside in a criminal case, but I read that's not constitutional. I guess it only happens when a judge feels there's not enough evidence and a jury votes guilty even when the prosecution hasn't met its burden of proof. It does happen in some civil cases. I'm not a lawyer (obviously) but I looked this up after I saw him on TV discussing his feelings about the verdict.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:00 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,915,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I would have never been at the movies to start with. As for the jerk with the cellphone it was all on him. As for the shooter he will go free. No one should have a cell on at the movies. Just be so nice to go back to the 70's before all this crap came out. I don't have a cell phone. And anyone that used one at the movies should be shot from the get go.
..and people wonder why so many want stricter gun laws?

Old 01-03-2016, 05:12 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,259,891 times
Quote:
State law controls where you can bring a firearm if you have a state issued permit to carry it. I think there was a sign banning use of a cell phone as well.

There are basically two (2) types of legislation that apply to active and retired law enforcement officers one (1) federal and one (1) state:

The Law Enforcement Officers’ Safety Act (H.R. 218) was signed into law by President George W. Bush in 2004 and was amended by President Barack Obama in 2010 and 2013.1 The purpose of the Law Enforcement Officers’ Safety Act (LEOSA) is to allow qualified active law enforcement officers (QLEO) and qualified retired law enforcement officers (QRLEO) the ability to carry a concealed firearm nationwide (including all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and all other U.S. possessions except the Canal Zone) despite what state or local laws prohibit.
State Carrying a Concealed Firearm (CCF) permits. These permits and their provisions vary from state-to-state.

Concealed Carry for LEOs

Mr Reeves had every right by law to carry a firearm. Oulsen on the other hand had no right to commit the several felony acts he committed - felonly assault, sudden snatching and assault or battery on persons 65 years of age or older.

Had Oulsen stopped his texting when requested or took his texting out to the lobby Reeves wouldnt have had to report him to management. Once Oulsen got up, faced Reeves and began a verbal assault which escalated to physical assault (and commission of felony crimes) he would be alive today.

It is irrelevant what Mrs. Reeves said to Mr. Reeves or how Mr. Reeves responded.

We already know that the lady who stated Reeves had harassed her at a theater withdrew her statement.

If you look at the Docket you will see that defense has taken a number of depositions and filed them with the Court.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:23 PM
KPB KPB started this thread

1,434 posts, read 926,388 times
The ironic thing about it is records show that Reeve's was using his phone to text as well. I assume texting his son who was running late to the movie.
I was made aware the other couple withdrew there statement, I was talking about his colleagues he use to work w/ at TPD stating what type of character Reeve's was, and the neighbor kid who was playing his stereo to loud that Reeves confronted.

The trial is set for the 11th, do you think there's a chance of it getting delayed again?

Old 01-03-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
..and people wonder why so many want stricter gun laws?
I would have shot the guy also if he came at me. But i would have handled it in a diff way than the shooter did. I would have just gone up front and had someone that worked at the movies deal with him.

This is why i don't go out around people much or ever go to the movies, just way too many nuts out there and i have a temper as it is. I have a $10k system in my bedroom to watch movies so i am fine staying at home away from people. I don't go to malls or any kind of crowds, bars and stuff like that.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
The ironic thing about it is records show that Reeve's was using his phone to text as well. I assume texting his son who was running late to the movie.
I was made aware the other couple withdrew there statement, I was talking about his colleagues he use to work w/ at TPD stating what type of character Reeve's was, and the neighbor kid who was playing his stereo to loud that Reeves confronted.

The trial is set for the 11th, do you think there's a chance of it getting delayed again?
Well if the shooter was also using his cell then he needs time behind bars.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:34 PM

3,018 posts, read 4,873,275 times
Reeves did go complain to the manager and upon returning to his seat was accosted for doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or