U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-18-2016, 04:02 PM
 
Location: South Tampa
1,160 posts, read 1,737,672 times
Reputation: 1041

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
Of course I expressed outrage, I'm only human. But I never got physical except for self-defense. I'm a fairly big guy (6'4" 260 lbs ish), when you are my size you have to be careful how you throw yourself around. And on the positive side, I don't really have people starting fights with me all.
You made it clear that you don't have to actually GET physical...the other person just has to feel like you MIGHT get physical. Are you okay with losing your life because some wussy thinks you are going to cause them harm when you have no actual intention of doing so? Imagine all of the lives that could be lost just because someone else feels threatened. If no cameras are present- you won't be alive to state your case.

This view on life is extremely sad especially combined with the generation of kids growing up that feel entitled, like everyone should be equal, everyone gets a trophy, and if you don't...you complain or "get even".

Now we are going to just show the world we are okay with interpreting a law so loosely to where you can just shoot someone else at the "feeling" of a threat?

To me, Curtis Reeves is a punk that enjoyed hiding behind his gun because that piece of metal replaced what he was missing between his legs. Without it, he wouldn't be anything and wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight. Too scared to take an ass whipping if he earned himself one. Really surprising to me because his generation is a strong one; my grandfather would call him an embarrassment to his generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2016, 04:08 PM
 
699 posts, read 439,277 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
How much can a person be in "fear there life is in danger" or "fear of risk of great bodily harm" or even worried about being hit w/ a row of seats between the two?
If Oulson could have reached his popcorn (watch the video, Reeves is sitting back) then he could have very easily hit him if he wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2016, 04:12 PM
 
699 posts, read 439,277 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
Y
Now we are going to just show the world we are okay with interpreting a law so loosely to where you can just shoot someone else at the "feeling" of a threat?
That's not a 'loose' interpretation, that is what the law is about. If you're in fear (call it a feeling), you can use SYG.

Quote:
To me, Curtis Reeves is a punk that enjoyed hiding behind his gun because that piece of metal replaced what he was missing between his legs. Without it, he wouldn't be anything and wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight. Too scared to take an ass whipping if he earned himself one. Really surprising to me because his generation is a strong one; my grandfather would call him an embarrassment to his generation.
Why does Reeves have to 'take an ass whopping', what did he do to deserve it?

If you ask me, it's Oulson whose the punk, picking a fight with an old man. Just because you want to fight, doesn't mean everyone else will - and some will sooner shoot you than waste their times fighting you. Oulson tried to "force his will" over Reeves, physically, by getting so aggressive.

He lost, big time here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2016, 04:22 PM
 
Location: South Tampa
1,160 posts, read 1,737,672 times
Reputation: 1041
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
Why does Reeves have to 'take an ass whopping', what did he do to deserve it?

If you ask me, it's Oulson whose the punk, picking a fight with an old man. Just because you want to fight, doesn't mean everyone else will - and some will sooner shoot you than waste their times fighting you. Oulson tried to "force his will" over Reeves, physically, by getting so aggressive.

He lost, big time here.
I'm not saying he deserved an ass whipping in this case (no one did)...I am saying he is the type to shoot someone no matter what if he was due for one.

Reeves provoked Oulson into confronting him. From the depositions I've read, it is obvious Chad tried his best to ignore the old man complaining about his cell phone usage. How can you say that Chad was picking the fight? He never wanted to come across Reeves that day and was sitting in front of him minding his own business.

Also, it appears to me that Reeves was trying to force HIS will on Chad by getting him to "do as he says" and stop with the phone. He wasn't LE on duty and had no right, but you often come across former LE who still believe they are the law and, more often, above it. Reeves has admitted that he made the wrong decision to pull his gun out. He admitted that he should have done the thing 99% of people would have done: get up and move.

If SYG simply gives you the ability to shoot someone versus working a situation out and finding other alternatives, it should be abolished. The law should be there to protect a citizen from a real and perceived attack, not because you feel like someone else can beat you up.

Sidenote: why can't I find police interview/depositions with Curtis or Chad's wife, Nicole? I see them referenced in articles but can't find them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2016, 05:19 PM
 
1,514 posts, read 999,241 times
Reputation: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
All could have been avoided by simply changing seats in a nearly empty theater with stadium seating.
Very True, but neither Reeves, Oulson, nor plenty of urban youth think like that. Once the respect / disrespect ball started, it was game on. I have a feeling that the fact that both of these alpha males had their chicks with them also contributed to their willingness to try to "win" the "game".
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
That's not a 'loose' interpretation, that is what the law is about. If you're in fear (call it a feeling), you can use SYG.
Using SYG and successfully using SYG can be totally different. At the end of the day, one needs to convince other people that the fear was reasonable. One cannot just say "I felt uhmm.... fearful, so I killed him. Now, I go home-right?" If Reeves cant convince 12 people that his fear was reasonable, he is not going home.

Last edited by Cryptic; 01-18-2016 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2016, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Lone Mountain Las Vegas NV
12,776 posts, read 4,837,023 times
Reputation: 5675
Remember the issue is not what Reeves felt but what a reasonable person would have felt.

Fear of deadly or serious harm from a popcorn attack? Not likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2016, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
3,017 posts, read 4,862,380 times
Reputation: 3281
I just watched the video about a half-dozen times. It's the first time I've looked at in quite a while. I'm pretty confident Oulson threw his cell phone at Reeves, striking him, which made Reeves think he had been punched (as his police interview indicates).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2016, 08:41 PM
 
Location: North of South, South of North
8,706 posts, read 8,812,515 times
Reputation: 5073
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I just watched the video about a half-dozen times. It's the first time I've looked at in quite a while. I'm pretty confident Oulson threw his cell phone at Reeves, striking him, which made Reeves think he had been punched (as his police interview indicates).
Now THAT would be interesting. If he thought the cell phone strike was his fist, then the fear of harm thing would seem more plausible to a jury and/or judge. IF!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2016, 09:03 PM
 
34,360 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Reputation: 29842
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I just watched the video about a half-dozen times. It's the first time I've looked at in quite a while. I'm pretty confident Oulson threw his cell phone at Reeves, striking him, which made Reeves think he had been punched (as his police interview indicates).
Looking at the video you'll notice the house lights are still on, why would you insist some one cease their cell phone usage at that point,also what was the nature of the request,Sir could you please turn off your cell phone? or hey Ahole turn off your effing cell phone or i'll call some one to remove you.Personally if i had been Oulsen i would have moved to another seat at this point.
Also while this guy maybe 70yrs old he's by no means IMO a frail old man,strikes me as a well built character who has had a lengthy career in law enforcement and all the training that goes with it, doesnt strike me as some one who would be intimidated by having some popcorn thrown at him.
http://cbsnews1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i...er_suspect.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2016, 09:13 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
3,017 posts, read 4,862,380 times
Reputation: 3281
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Looking at the video you'll notice the house lights are still on, why would you insist some one cease their cell phone usage at that point,also what was the nature of the request,Sir could you please turn off your cell phone? or hey Ahole turn off your effing cell phone or i'll call some one to remove you.
Also while this guy maybe 70yrs old he's by no means IMO a frail old man,strikes me as a well built character who has had a lengthy career in law enforcement and all the training that goes with it, doesnt strike me as some one who would be intimidated by having some popcorn thrown at him.
http://cbsnews1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i...er_suspect.png
So what, exactly, are you getting at? The cell phone wasn't thrown? Or the cell phone was thrown at Reeves but he deserved it?

You quoted my post about the cell phone and went right back to the whole popcorn thing, so I'm lost regarding what your whole point is here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top