Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 04:52 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You dont need to have suffered injury but only reasonably believes that using or threatening to use deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm.

Let's assume..... You are involved in a minor auto accident. You and the other driver get out of your cars to see the damage and exchange info. Other driver begins yelling at you. Throws their car keys at you and them reaches out and grabs your drivers license and insurance card out of your hand and moves toward you. Are you in fear of bodily harm or injury at that point?

What do YOU do?
The standard is what a prudent and reasonable person would do. The popcorn followed the phone so the situation was deescalating if anything. And it is really hard to get great bodily lharm from a popcorn attack.

What I would do in such an attack would be grab the assailant and fall hopefully getting him underneath. 270 lbs is generally not handleable by anybody but a very big man and, while am ancient, I retain full upper body strength and am going to be very difficult on the ground. But no I don't scare very easily. Got my butt whiped before and don't think it would be any more terrifying than the other times. I am well older than Reeves but stil don't see the big threat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 04:58 PM

699 posts, read 610,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chap View Post
From what I understand, SYG was drafted in order to clarify those home invasion type situations
You would understand wrong then.

Home invasion scenarios are protected under "Castle Doctrine" which Florida also has. SYG is meant to protect self-defense in cases removed from ones home.

And I don't know what uncivil world you live in - but telling someone to not use their phone in a movie theatre is not grounds for a fight. And if you want to "rough someone up" be prepared that person will kill you.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:00 PM

699 posts, read 610,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The standard is what a prudent and reasonable person would do. The popcorn followed the phone so the situation was deescalating if anything. And it is really hard to get great bodily lharm from a popcorn attack.
Yes, popcorn can't really hurt you. But that's not what SYG is about - it's about preventing hurt. Obviously if Reeves allows Oulson to punch him it's too late.

I personally think any reasonable person would be afraid that Oulson would hurt them in such a confrontation. Especially when Oulson reached for his popcorn, invading his space, at this point many reasonable people would brace themselves for a punch.

Quite frankly it's not Reeve's job to predict Oulson, or to be so cautious. He has a right to defend himself, and he did.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:12 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
I bet if Reeve's could do it over again he'd take the knock out vs. being charged w/ murder and spending most likely the majority of his family's life savings trying to beat it.
A punch could have caused a fall causing head injury, paralysis or death. When you are under attack with your back to the wall the only thought one has is self preservation. The flee or fight natural instinct kicks in. He could not easily flee, he knew that, so there was only two choices; take a potentially life threatening attack or neutralize the attacker.

Nobody can say anything unless they have experienced the situation.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Should have or not both defendants were in their rights to take the actions they took.

Obviously the texting, or something about it had an impact on Reeves.

Zimmerman was involved in neighborhood watch group and Martin attracted his attention.

Neither Oulson or Martin had any reason to physically attack anyone.

"High handed tactics"? When did talking to someone become "High handed tactics"?

There is a huge difference between talking to someone and physically attacking someone.
Actually Martin had every reason to go after Zimmerman who was effectively stalking him. And if Martin had gotten control of the pistol and killed Zimmerman he would have walked as well. Not the way Zimmerman did because a black teenager is always going to be arrested...but in the end he would have had a better case than Zimmerman.

Note the law does have some interesting side effects. If two known to be armed enemies approach each other and start shooting as both are reasonably in fear of being killed by the other it is all good SYG. And if they kill an innocent bystander it is still SYG. It can't be pre-arranged though as that would violate dueling statutes.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
A punch could have caused a fall causing head injury, paralysis or death. When you are under attack with your back to the wall the only thought one has is self preservation. The flee or fight natural instinct kicks in. He could not easily flee, he knew that, so there was only two choices; take a potentially life threatening attack or neutralize the attacker.

Come on. How in the world is he going to fall sitting in a seat? He certainly knows how to cover. Even at my age I could do that. Unless the other guy has a weapon he is going to have a very hard time doing any real damage.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:49 PM
KPB KPB started this thread

1,517 posts, read 1,524,240 times
Quote:

Why was he charged w/ murder then ?

According to witness statement's Reeve's said "I'll teach you to throw popcorn at me" then he shot Oulson. So according to his own statement do you think he was worried about his "self preservation" lol, or do you think he might of been just trying to show Oulson who the boss was ?
His OWN wife told him after the shooting that "it was no reason to shoot someone". I wonder why she didn't feel her husband wasn't "under such an attack" that he had to tell him that unless maybe because she knows he was wrong.

He had his hand in his pocket on his gun waiting for Oulson to make the first move so he can fire asap (instead of just finding another seat).. He must of felt the phone and popcorn was enough reason so he did.
Let's see if the judge thinks so.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:30 PM

56 posts, read 110,286 times
At 1:30 of the video when Reeves leans over towards Oulsen, what does he specifically say, do, or threaten towards Oulsen to cause him to turn around and throw the popcorn at him?? Several people on this thread act as though they were physically sitting beside them describing with absolute certainty as to what happened during that Monday afternoon matinee so if you know specifically please respond... Thanks so much

Old 01-24-2016, 08:14 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
The case will be made all depending on what is admissible in court. I said this before -truth is subjective in a court of law. Example- just happens the very witness who really saw and heard all was sitting 2 seats over -but alas he just got out of prison for his 3 time auto theft and now facing another charge...a real piece of work with a long rap sheet--- But he saw it! Or the officer's records of deescalating similar incidents 1000x during his career not allowed. His Meds? Civil cases have become more relevant because there is so much more evidence introduced with out prejudice. All I say is because of his 30 yrs he was an expert and knew how to handle it. If he no longer could should have given up his conceal . Let the courts decide.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:24 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
I just came to me. I wonder if it will hurt his defense that he had removed himself from the situation, when he went to complain, but then put himself back in the situation by returning to the same seat?

In some states, you are supposed to try to remove yourself from dangerous situations before defending yourself. While that may not be the case here, I wonder if the decision to return to the same spot will look bad for his defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay