Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 08:04 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,804,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
What I want to know is if Oulson's phone made sounds when texting or not.
Wasn't there but even if it was making sounds, I would personally move away these noise instead of bothering someone. I imagine if it was Reeves texting his son and someone behind him questioned him, Reeves would stand up and shoot without a word. This is how "normal" Reeves is in my eyes. Sorry, but this old moron shouldn't be on the streets. I want to be able to go to the store and not be afraid of Reeves being in front of me and giving me looks or comments regarding me talking on the phone with my babysitter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 10:21 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Wasn't there but even if it was making sounds, I would personally move away these noise instead of bothering someone. I imagine if it was Reeves texting his son and someone behind him questioned him, Reeves would stand up and shoot without a word. This is how "normal" Reeves is in my eyes. Sorry, but this old moron shouldn't be on the streets. I want to be able to go to the store and not be afraid of Reeves being in front of me and giving me looks or comments regarding me talking on the phone with my babysitter...

Hold on to your beliefs. 71 years on earth. Never had a known problem with anyone. You have been poisoned by the earliest media reports or have an emotional connection to the Oulsons and refuse to see beyond that.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:20 PM

182 posts, read 170,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Exactly. Or to quote the sage philosopher Lil Jon, "Don't start no stuff, won't be no stuff..."

Old 01-27-2016, 12:28 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chap View Post
If something is bothering you, it is incumbent upon you as part of a society to assess whether yourself being bothered is actually reasonable. Sometimes it's not reasonable to complain to the offender. It was the previews. Texting during the previews should not bother anyone, unless you're a prick or a "control enthusiast".

Reeves is one of those people who applies the strictest interpretation of the rules, no matter how mundane, to everyone else but does not follow the rules himself. Didn't the theater have a "no guns" policy?

I'm not saying Oulsen is perfect either. But he paid for his douchery with his life. Reeves should likewise pay for his prickery with his life, behind bars.
Exactly. Only a nut job looking for a fight makes a big deal out of someone texting in a nearly empty movie theater with stadium seating(so any seat is a good seat).

You pick and choose your battles. Someone backs into your car in a parking lot, you address that.

Some stranger is annoying you with their behavior over something so minor and you can easily move away from them, you do so.

And as you said it was the previews.

Only total control freaks don't get this.

And regardless of the outcome, Reeves has ruined himself financially and his poor wife. What should have been a nice quiet comfortable retirement has been destroyed. For this nonsense? Tragic.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly. Only a nut job looking for a fight makes a big deal out of someone texting in a nearly empty movie theater with stadium seating(so any seat is a good seat).

You pick and choose your battles. Someone backs into your car in a parking lot, you address that.

Some stranger is annoying you with their behavior over something so minor and you can easily move away from them, you do so.

And as you said it was the previews.

Only total control freaks don't get this.

And regardless of the outcome, Reeves has ruined himself financially and his poor wife. What should have been a nice quiet comfortable retirement has been destroyed. For this nonsense? Tragic.
So a simple request like "excuse me but ____insert here____ is bothering me. Could you stop or do it elsewhere" makes somebody a control freak, maniac, nut job, person looking for trouble, ready to shoot someone, et al?

Old 01-27-2016, 01:55 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
So a simple request like "excuse me but ____insert here____ is bothering me. Could you stop or do it elsewhere" makes somebody a control freak, maniac, nut job, person looking for trouble, ready to shoot someone, et al?

As at this point we are just guessing what was said to initiate the altercation IMO I doubt Reeves was so polite in his request to Oulson ,it could have been more like Hey ahole turn your effing cell phone off before i call management and have them throw you out.

Last edited by jambo101; 01-27-2016 at 02:03 PM..

Old 01-27-2016, 03:47 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:

Yes, when you can easily move away from the annoyance.

You also have to define "bothering", you board an airplane and the child behind you is kicking the seat, you speak up, it's not acceptable, it's a real irritant(this scenario was not), and you can't change seats. If the parent isn't going to deal with it, you do.

Let's face it most people these days have little regard for others, sadly. So expecting people to listen to a stranger over something like texting during movie previews is going to fall on deaf ears.

I was in a Publix parking lot right before Christmas one year. A car was sitting in the no parking zone causing other cars to have go around and causing a jam, and making pedestrians have to walk around. I went over to the car and politely said to the driver "excuse me you're not supposed to be parked here", to which they told me and I quote "I could go f**k myself".

See how that goes? They weren't going to change their behavior. Having an Irish temper my first thought was to reach in and grab their phone that they were texting on. But reason took over and I walked away.

Lesson learned. Now if they back into your car in the same parking lot, than you address that.

Reeves was foolish to think him saying anything was going to stop someone from texting.

And Reeves didn't say "excuse me good sir, would you be so kind as to stop using your phone, thank you so much"...... He has a full vocabulary and is a hothead to boot. His comment to his wife "keep your f**king mouth shut" speaks volumes. Which escalated the situation to it's horrific ending.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:52 PM

Bothering = Annoying. Frankly the only way can see how someone texting would be if there was audible sounds being made when the keys were being pressed.

In Ms. Reeves deposition she testified that profane language not normally used in the family. There would be no reason for Reeves, or for anyone, to use profane language when speaking to someone for the first time.

As far as changing seats, Reeves had no reason to move to another seat. I am not sure if he told his son where they were sitting so they would be easily found or not. Oulson had the opportunity to move away, even temporarily, to be courteous to his fellow movie customer but instead choose to utter profane language which, according to her testimony, was shocked to have heard.

As tom your "kicking child problem" if the parent does nothing to stop it you notify a flight attended much as Reeves notified management of his problem.

That is where the texting problem should have ended. However, Oulson (I am tired of repeating), stood up, turned to Reeves and asked if had been reported. It is obvious that Reeves responded to the affirmative. It was apparently then when Oulson went into a rage.

As to your Publix parking lot scenario, after the driver told me he was not going to move I would have simply dialed 911 to report a vehicle blocking a fire lane. At that point that driver would either drive away or wait for a Deputy to cite him appropriately.

Oulson had that choice when asked to cease the texting but opted to give Reeves the same answer as the Publix driver did. Reeves went to report it and when he returned Oulson took on the role of the aggressor, ranted at Reeves, threw a cellphone, grabbed Reeves property and threw it at him. Oulson was not about to turn back and sit down but apparently gave indication that he was going to advance further towards Reeves and his wife put her hand in front of him to do nothing but attempt to prevent him from going forward. In that split second Reeves saw the potential threat to his well being and fired his weapon to stop the anticipated attack.

I have seen many verbal attacks on Reeves here but nobody has provided an alternate chain of events.

If Reeves was the mad man, maniac, predisposed killer, a man looking for trouble or for a reason to fire his weapon he would have done so when Oulson gave the initial response and he would never have taken the time to report the incident or he would have shot him on his way out to seek assistance.
If Reeves was the nutcase you folks are indicating I am sure that he would have killed someone way before he killed Oulson since many of you purport he is a "hot head", a man "looking for trouble" a "controi freak" et al. Surely someone along the 50 or so years Reeves carried a gun would have caused him to shoo somebody over a minor action. However, it never did happen so I find it very odd that on that particular day he decided to kill someone for no reason,. Maybe he could have shot the ticket taker going in for not saying "thank you" or shot the snack counter clerk for putting too much butter on his popcorn. Maybe he would have shot someone on line who was holding up the line by writing a check, but no, he decided upon entering the theater that he was going to seek out a stranger, start a fight and kill them.

Oh, by the way, nobdy testified that he told his wife to ****. Perhaps one of those 20 some-odd witnesses that would not testify heard that. You know, the same people that could not testify under oath about anything that took place in that theater. As for the guy who told the media that Oulson feel on his son contradicts the sworn testimony of officer Reeves that he laid Oulson down on the floor and the nurse who claimed to be first on the scene - Officer Reeves testified that he used Oulson's clothing in an attempt to stop the bleeding from the wound and that someone handed Officer Reeves a sweatshirt to put over the wound and then, according to his testimony, someone came over and announced they were "taking over".

The initial media reports contained anything that anyone blurted out at the moment they were interviewed. Lets not even go to the lady who claimed she had a "run in" with Reeves a few weeks earlier as withdrew her story when she was to be sworn in to testify. Yep. The lady who's name was splashed across every media source for days and when she finally told the truth the media turned a blind eye but continued pressing the "popcorn killer" on and on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes, when you can easily move away from the annoyance.

You also have to define "bothering", you board an airplane and the child behind you is kicking the seat, you speak up, it's not acceptable, it's a real irritant(this scenario was not), and you can't change seats. If the parent isn't going to deal with it, you do.

Let's face it most people these days have little regard for others, sadly. So expecting people to listen to a stranger over something like texting during movie previews is going to fall on deaf ears.

I was in a Publix parking lot right before Christmas one year. A car was sitting in the no parking zone causing other cars to have go around and causing a jam, and making pedestrians have to walk around. I went over to the car and politely said to the driver "excuse me you're not supposed to be parked here", to which they told me and I quote "I could go f**k myself".

See how that goes? They weren't going to change their behavior. Having an Irish temper my first thought was to reach in and grab their phone that they were texting on. But reason took over and I walked away.

Lesson learned. Now if they back into your car in the same parking lot, than you address that.

Reeves was foolish to think him saying anything was going to stop someone from texting.

And Reeves didn't say "excuse me good sir, would you be so kind as to stop using your phone, thank you so much"...... He has a full vocabulary and is a hothead to boot. His comment to his wife "keep your f**king mouth shut" speaks volumes. Which escalated the situation to it's horrific ending.

Last edited by Spring Hillian; 01-27-2016 at 06:08 PM..

Old 01-27-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As at this point we are just guessing what was said to initiate the altercation IMO I doubt Reeves was so polite in his request to Oulson ,it could have been more like Hey ahole turn your effing cell phone off before i call management and have them throw you out.
Why would a reasonable person talk to someone like that?

Old 01-27-2016, 06:41 PM
KPB KPB started this thread

1,517 posts, read 1,523,924 times
That lady who had her "run in" w/ Reeve's isn't the only person that's came forward stating they had a run in w/ him in that theater. I can give you a link to that if you'd like .

Maybe, and I'm just assuming, but maybe Reeves is on some meds. He's in his 70's so I bet he is. I know how irrational some older folks may get when the Dr changes there meds up. Just a thought.

He's still wrong, and still an old azzhole like most people seem to agree with and I'm sure a jury will too.

I know another poster already asked but in the video what do you think Reeve's leaned forward toward Oulson and said to him after he came back and sat down in his seat from tattling to the manager because somebody was "texting" that provoked Oulson to get up ?

Last edited by KPB; 01-27-2016 at 07:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay