Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 09:25 PM

107 posts, read 88,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Okay, let's say the victim was a jerk. So? Tell me why he should pay for his bad behavior with his life. Even if a car thief is prosecuted and convicted, he doesn't get the Death Penalty. It is beyond my comprehension that people are defending killing someone because he is annoying.

I do not know how Stand Your Ground can possibly apply when Reeves chose to return to the same seat. It wasn't his house or his car and there were plenty of empty seats. This is a macho thing, like "mine is bigger than yours" and has nothing to do with self defense. Nobody seems to care that a little girl is going to grow up without her Daddy because the wrong person sat in back of him at the movies.
The victim was the shooter. Game over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 08:00 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,024,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Okay, let's say the victim was a jerk. So? Tell me why he should pay for his bad behavior with his life. Even if a car thief is prosecuted and convicted, he doesn't get the Death Penalty. It is beyond my comprehension that people are defending killing someone because he is annoying.

I do not know how Stand Your Ground can possibly apply when Reeves chose to return to the same seat. It wasn't his house or his car and there were plenty of empty seats. This is a macho thing, like "mine is bigger than yours" and has nothing to do with self defense. Nobody seems to care that a little girl is going to grow up without her Daddy because the wrong person sat in back of him at the movies.
How can you discount the fact that Reeves was under physical and verbal attack by an angry young man and Reeves could not know how Oulsen's attack would escalate. Reeves was afraid of further attack and stooped his assailant. Forget everything until the sudden snatching of the popcorn as nothing before that point makes a difference except to show Oulson was playing the tough guy role. If Oulson would have been civil the kid would still have a daddy

Old 01-05-2016, 08:02 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,833,620 times
Why not just wait to see what happens in the trial?

It will be interesting to see how the result of this trial affects the interpretation of the law going forward.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Come on, I might not agree with you in everything but by all indications you are fairly smart well read person, if I threw popcorn at you the cops came, they would not arrest me, there would be no way I would be indicted, you could not find a prosecutor that would bring that up that charge, I understand it fits your narrative but you are really grasping at straws. I truly believe this guy is going to walk away from this, I think that the burden of proof in that "fear for my life" defense is low that he can work that. To be fair the guy probably learned his lesson, I don't think he had any malice when he shot him is not really going to solve anything to make him spent his few remaining years in jail.
They may not arrest you for throwinf popcorn but in the eyes of the law there is no difference between a
bag of popcorn or a brick. The laws dont have lists of what can be thrown or a list of weights to determne whether or not a crime was comitted. Fear or harm or injury is all he needs.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
It will be interesting to see how it all went down...how was Oulson even aware that Reeves didn't just go to the bathroom but alerted a manager to lodge a complaint? Also is the defense using stand your ground? I hadn't heard that...or maybe just forgot...
From the early mediareports Oulsen asked Reeves
if he reported him. Reeves answered in the affirmative. Then Oulson went nutso.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,016,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Why not just wait to see what happens in the trial?

It will be interesting to see how the result of this trial affects the interpretation of the law going forward.
To add/
Kinda sets up a precedent whereby if i can make you angry enough in an argument to throw a punch or in this case a bag of popcorn at me i can then declare i was in fear of my life and kill you.
Hmm got any bosses you dont like? how about co-workers,neighbors,family members.?

Old 01-05-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
The other person in this incident is dead. That's more than assault.
Death can happen to you when you attack another person.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:59 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,765,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
To add/
Kinda sets up a precedent whereby if i can make you angry enough in an argument to throw a punch or in this case a bag of popcorn at me i can then declare i was in fear of my life and kill you.
Hmm got any bosses you dont like? how about co-workers,neighbors,family members.?
^^^
Exactly!

Old 01-05-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
To add/
Fear for your life or fear of injury.

You need to have surrounding circumstances, aggressor committed a felony or two against you.

Nobody has the legal or moral right to attack someone without realizing they couldget killed.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:04 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,518,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksphins View Post
The victim was the shooter. Game over.
No, it's not "game over".

Regardless of whether he gets off or not he has drained both himself and his poor wife of their retirement savings. You think he's getting free legal counsel.

He is also being sued by the widow.

So it's not game over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay