Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 05:00 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
At this point we've all given our opinions and viewpoints, its now time to sit back and see what comes out in the court case where we can base our opinions on what facts come out of the trial.
Post of the day! ^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 05:21 PM
KPB KPB started this thread

1,517 posts, read 1,523,924 times
Reeve's coworker's describing how he was to work with
http://www.tampabay.com/news/humanin...-sides/2161618
Reeve's himself knows he made a mistake
Curtis Reeves, Texting-In-Theater Shooting Suspect, Expresses Remorse

What would I of done in Reeves situation ? First of all it would of never happened because in today's world a person texting in a movie theatre before the lights were even dimmed to start the movie wouldn't get me all hot and bothered. (I'm sure we've all been in a theatre and have heard people talking during a movie).
And if it bothered me too much I'd move my seat before I'd leave my wife behind while I went wondering around looking for a manager like a little tattle tale.

And if I had a gun it would take a lot more than someone yelling or throwing popcorn at me to shoot that person.

Reeve's snapped, he knows he did. He admitted himself he messed up and said he should of moved.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:32 PM
KPB KPB started this thread

1,517 posts, read 1,523,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Personally, I have always found it best to avoid any confrontational situations. I would have picked an empty area of the theater to sit in. If someone sat near me and was doing something that annoyed me, I would simply move to another location. I would then have enjoyed the movie, gone home and enjoyed the rest of my life with my wife.

But hey, that's just me and other people may handle things differently.
1000% agree

Old 01-06-2016, 05:32 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Personally, I have always found it best to avoid any confrontational situations. I would have picked an empty area of the theater to sit in. If someone sat near me and was doing something that annoyed me, I would simply move to another location. I would then have enjoyed the movie, gone home and enjoyed the rest of my life with my wife.

But hey, that's just me and other people may handle things differently.
That is the sane and responsible thing to do...

Old 01-06-2016, 09:09 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Not guilty in a court of law does not mean innocent. Just means the folks doing the prosecuting or defending or the jury might not have done their job.
True. When I was 17 and a freshman in college, I had a poster on the wall (who didn't?) that said "War does not determine who is right, only who is left." I just thought of that poster.

No matter what the verdict is, a man went to the movies and died. He was unarmed, didn't even have a knife, only some popcorn.

I do agree, however, with North Pinellas Guy that we need to wait for the trial to hear the evidence and eyewitness testimony.

What irritates me is how the "age card" is being played. The man isn't much older than I am and could crush me with one of his arms. I don't consider myself to be old and helpless. Anyway, I'm reminded of that scene in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" when Harrison Ford was being challenged by a man brandishing a long sword and he shoots him. The person with the gun always has the advantage.

Here is an article written in 1998 and it still applies today.

[url=http://www.cbsnews.com/news/avoiding-road-rage/]Avoiding Road Rage - CBS News[/url]

"Don't let your pride overtake your rationality. Don't feel you have to "rise" to the challenge. Even if the other driver is at fault, let it go."

This should apply in every situation.

Last edited by justNancy; 01-06-2016 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: fix post

Old 01-07-2016, 05:43 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
At this point we've all given our opinions and viewpoints, its now time to sit back and see what comes out in the court case where we can base our opinions on what facts come out of the trial.
yep. trial will be based on facts...

Old 01-07-2016, 05:49 AM

so what you are saying is... if someone attacks you, just lay back and relax until its over.

Oulson didnt have popcorn until he snatched it from Reeves.

If you were wearing a gold and diamond necklace and someone came up to you and pulled it off your neck, what would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
True. When I was 17 and a freshman in college, I had a poster on the wall (who didn't?) that said "War does not determine who is right, only who is left." I just thought of that poster.

No matter what the verdict is, a man went to the movies and died. He was unarmed, didn't even have a knife, only some popcorn.

I do agree, however, with North Pinellas Guy that we need to wait for the trial to hear the evidence and eyewitness testimony.

What irritates me is how the "age card" is being played. The man isn't much older than I am and could crush me with one of his arms. I don't consider myself to be old and helpless. Anyway, I'm reminded of that scene in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" when Harrison Ford was being challenged by a man brandishing a long sword and he shoots him. The person with the gun always has the advantage.

Here is an article written in 1998 and it still applies today.

Avoiding Road Rage - CBS News

"Don't let your pride overtake your rationality. Don't feel you have to "rise" to the challenge. Even if the other driver is at fault, let it go."

This should apply in every situation.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:05 AM

What those articles tell me is that subordinates didnt like his methods but superiors did.
Maybe he should have moved away from Oulson. He didnt. He got struck. He shot his attacker
instead of beingv subjected to further attack. The laws allow people to defend themsellves.
If Reeves hit Oulson over the head with asteel bar causing brain damage, would that have been a better solution?

Your only solution is to walk away. I recall a guy arguing with another guy when I was a teen. The guy I knew was a pretty much mellow dude and a pacifist. He turned and walked away. The other guy picked up a street wastepaper basket and threw it. It knocked him flat on his face. Broken jaw, cracked facial bones. That was the last time he walked away

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
Reeve's coworker's describing how he was to work with
Closer look at Curtis Reeves shows theater shooter's two sides | Tampa Bay Times
Reeve's himself knows he made a mistake
Curtis Reeves, Texting-In-Theater Shooting Suspect, Expresses Remorse

What would I of done in Reeves situation ? First of all it would of never happened because in today's world a person texting in a movie theatre before the lights were even dimmed to start the movie wouldn't get me all hot and bothered. (I'm sure we've all been in a theatre and have heard people talking during a movie).
And if it bothered me too much I'd move my seat before I'd leave my wife behind while I went wondering around looking for a manager like a little tattle tale.

And if I had a gun it would take a lot more than someone yelling or throwing popcorn at me to shoot that person.

Reeve's snapped, he knows he did. He admitted himself he messed up and said he should of moved.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:01 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
I never understood why if Reeves felt threatened he didn't just tell or show Oulsen "I have a gun" or even shorter "I'm armed"??? Believe Oulsen would have retreated...his wife was right next to him...he had young children...Reeves could have just held him at gunpoint and waited for police to arrive...why pull gun and bam shoot??? Clearly Reeves was enraged...he was a well experienced leo not some bumbling idiot with a gun...Reeves lost his head and in a split second killed a man needlessly... if he had just paused shown the gun or said "I have a gun" and Oulsen still went for him...well whole different ballgame...

Old 01-07-2016, 09:37 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I never understood why if Reeves felt threatened he didn't just tell or show Oulsen "I have a gun" or even shorter "I'm armed"??? Believe Oulsen would have retreated...his wife was right next to him...he had young children...Reeves could have just held him at gunpoint and waited for police to arrive...why pull gun and bam shoot??? Clearly Reeves was enraged...he was a well experienced leo not some bumbling idiot with a gun...Reeves lost his head and in a split second killed a man needlessly... if he had just paused shown the gun or said "I have a gun" and Oulsen still went for him...well whole different ballgame...
That's illegal behavior for a concealed permit holder. It's called brandishing and is a felony in most states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay