Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 12:02 AM

75 posts, read 130,296 times

Advertisements

I do not want to post too much, though I have a million questions. So last one - well this week.
Reading these posts about various topics, I read on the - how are you dealing with the cold - post, someone said, well, Fla homes are not well insulated for the cold. Was that a joke, or would you say, the majority of homes ( esp built in the 50's 60's 70's ) will not have insulation?
I mean, who would want to live in a home without insulation in the most important part of the year, when it is 80-90 degrees for three months? The AC bills alone would be exorbitant.
** please, I know in those years, insulation was almost unheard of, but surely many people since then have done something, right? Maybe something I would need to ask the realtor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 12:08 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
1995 cement block wall home here. 8" Attic insulation. No insulation in walls. House keeps temps fairly clise to livable temp on it's own. Just usually a blast or two of heat in the morning and then we shut it off. I would replace my old single pan windows, before worrying about wall insulation. Our electric bill is very resonable. No complaints at all. Much better since switching to all led lights and a variable speed pool pump.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:13 AM

Yes, I read about your dilemma about getting a pool heater.
I am sure the windows are a big waste. Ok, I am looking in a couple areas, I now have a view of the landscape, I just need to closely envision the bugs on the grass, before I paint.
I mean, thank you, I now know what to look for. ( updated windows, insulation ect )

Old 01-08-2016, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Jim View Post
I am sure the windows are a big waste. Ok, I am looking in a couple areas, I now have a view of the landscape, I just need to closely envision the bugs on the grass, before I paint.
I mean, thank you, I now know what to look for. ( updated windows, insulation ect )
Forget the bugs, unless you are living in a condo/apartment type situation. For most people, they are not much of an issue most of the time.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:19 AM

For that post, the bugs were to mean - detail(s)
Not my wife's fear of them.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
For that post, the bugs were to mean - detail(s)
Not my wife's fear of them.
Gotcha.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:58 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:
Hello Jim:: The double pane, hurricane resistant, UV reflecting windows are well worth the investment if your new abode has les than that.

Insulation is generally in the attic and a powered attic ventilation fan really helps keep the temps up there from getting outrageous. Concrete block homes dont have wall insulation but that can be accomplished by framing out and sheetrocking the walls though Ive never seen it done here.

Well fitting doors and windows are a big factor.'

Bugs? What bugs? My lawn guy treats for the usual suspects. Some grass varities are more bug resistant than others.

U mentioned fees and taxes. The only "fees" I pay are auto registration. Of course there is property tax which I am sure is much lower than NJ. A benefit on taxes also comes with death as estate taxes are virtually non-existent. There is no local or state income tax and the state sales tax is 6pct. Counties can add onto the sales tax for local revenue.

If u bring a car down there is anbone time $225 impact fee.

There are websites for every utility and governmental agency to nail down specifics.

Dont hesitate to post any and all questions that arise. Filter responses from malcontents (they breed like rabbitts on the forum). I find that browsing through their previous posting history tells whether a poster is a chronic malcontent or a reliable info source.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:53 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
My house is 1985 block construction. There is 16" of fiberglass insulation in my attic. I have dual-zone A/C (heat pumps) and the ductwork is insulated. I bought the house this way in 2012.

I replaced the aluminum-frame, single-pane, non-insulated windows the first year I was here with dual-pane, argon-gas, vinyl windows with the UV coating. It wasn't cheap but the results are worth it. Our front bedroom (used as an office) was always hot, even with the A/C on. In January that room would be near 90 degrees all the time during the day. Those aluminum frames heated up from the sun like the element on an electric stove. Now it's comfortable year-round.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
My house is 1985 block construction. There is 16" of fiberglass insulation in my attic. I have dual-zone A/C (heat pumps) and the ductwork is insulated. I bought the house this way in 2012.

I replaced the aluminum-frame, single-pane, non-insulated windows the first year I was here with dual-pane, argon-gas, vinyl windows with the UV coating. It wasn't cheap but the results are worth it. Our front bedroom (used as an office) was always hot, even with the A/C on. In January that room would be near 90 degrees all the time during the day. Those aluminum frames heated up from the sun like the element on an electric stove. Now it's comfortable year-round.
Would you mind telling me how much it cost to replace your windows?

We have the old type of windows you had. 18 windows, 3 sliders and 3 doors with windows. Our house is one floor and comfortable, but I hate the way the windows operate and I wonder if there is much potential for savings. Our AC bill is already pretty darn low, especially after changing all the light bulbs to LED and changing the pool pump to a variable speed and upgrading to new energy efficient appliances.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:46 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
It was expensive, as almost all of my windows are gigantic sliders that had to be custom made. The two fronts are 5x5, master bedroom is like 12x3, and the three other bedrooms are 10x3 (one on a corner so there are two windows).

The only "normal" (double hung) windows are in two bathrooms the laundry room. But they were a bigger size as well, so they had to also be custom made.

I have three sets of sliding doors and they were not replaced. They are already dual-pane and the window company guys thought they were much newer than the original windows in the rest of the house and said it wasn't cost effective to replace.them. They're under a 12-15 foot roof overhang so the sun doesn't even hit them.

I'm not sure if they're paying me back in savings but they are paying me back in comfort and quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: