Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 07:51 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times

Advertisements

Here is an update, for folks interested in the results of our changeout to LED bulbs and a variable speed pool pump.

As we all know, the last half of December involved record setting heat and the first half of this month has been very cold. So the electric bill includes both using AC and more heat than we have used our entire time here.

The result is we just received our lowest electric bill ever. Only $120 for a 2,600 sq ft home with pool, all outside lights on all night, Christmas lights, large freezer in the garage, an extra fridge inside in addition to the normal huge kitchen fridge/freezer, an extra dorm style fridge inside, water heater in garage, multiple computer systems running as wife's job is home based when not traveling and multiple therapeutic devices for me. I am obviously home all day, so things are running.

Those two changes make an incedible difference in our climate. I highly suggest it to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 08:24 AM

279 posts, read 508,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Here is an update, for folks interested in the results of our changeout to LED bulbs and a variable speed pool pump.

As we all know, the last half of December involved record setting heat and the first half of this month has been very cold. So the electric bill includes both using AC and more heat than we have used our entire time here.

The result is we just received our lowest electric bill ever. Only $120 for a 2,600 sq ft home with pool, all outside lights on all night, Christmas lights, large freezer in the garage, an extra fridge inside in addition to the normal huge kitchen fridge/freezer, an extra dorm style fridge inside, water heater in garage, multiple computer systems running as wife's job is home based when not traveling and multiple therapeutic devices for me. I am obviously home all day, so things are running.

Those two changes make an incedible difference in our climate. I highly suggest it to others.

What was the previous bill?

I am slowly changing mine out to LED. Will look into the variable pool pump

Old 01-21-2016, 08:25 AM

369 posts, read 844,049 times
Thanks for the tips. Never heard of the variable speed pool pump. How much are they and how do they work?

Old 01-21-2016, 08:31 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
I have a variable speed pump. It definitely helps the cause. My motivation wasn't primarily power-savings. The pool equipment is right outside my bedroom window. I can run it low-speed now overnight while we're sleeping. The old one kept me up at night so I only ran it during the day.

I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP3400.../dp/B004TS04WI

I caught a great online deal and paid $700 including shipping/tax when I got mine.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:14 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
In fairness, you need to amortize the difference in price between power-saving pump v. regular pump over its life. Some reviews are mixed as to how long the power saver pumps last v. normal pump.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo75 View Post
What was the previous bill?

I am slowly changing mine out to LED. Will look into the variable pool pump
For the same period last year, it was about 50% more. However this year we ran the outside lights all night, we added an additional fridge and the temps required more temp control.....so the overall savings is even more than that.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:09 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Great news when utility bills are lower as everyone I know (including myself) dislike to pay them but like to use power .

We also bought LED lights and have the exterior lights on for most of the nights and have some flood lights on the side of the house that work on sensors.

Inside we had some recessed can lights switched out for LED versions.

Keep in mind that aside from the bill being lower, LED lights are more expensive when you buy them so it is only saving money in the long run as you pay upfront a higher amount.

Keep in mind that every power company has different prizes as TECO is much more expensive than Withlacoochee.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:12 AM

184 posts, read 244,681 times
Thanks for info. Do you think the pool electricity was the largest part of your previous bill? I don't own a pool, but want to save electricity and my new ppo roof (white, membrane type like some commercial buildings) saves me money monthly, too. I have a smalll home (1200 sq) and pay about what you do with only me here. A bit confusing. Thanks.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:12 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,911 times
We replaced every light with LEDs around this time last year as well; seen a dramatic increase alone from that. Our bill during this time of year was around $230 (3000 sq ft) and is now $170-80.

If you search hard and often, you can replace with LEDs very very cheaply. I bought flood light sized LED bulbs to replace all of my recessed for under $3 each...and I've bout standard LED bulbs right around a dollar each.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debnova View Post
Thanks for info. Do you think the pool electricity was the largest part of your previous bill? I don't own a pool, but want to save electricity and my new ppo roof (white, membrane type like some commercial buildings) saves me money monthly, too. I have a smalll home (1200 sq) and pay about what you do with only me here. A bit confusing. Thanks.
Probably around 50/50, but that will depend on the time of year. With our warm and humid late Spring, Summer and early Fall, you will run the variable speed pool pump longer than single speed....but it runs with such little power, that it saves you a lot over the course of the month. Also, LED's do not dump all that heat into the house you are trying to cool, so it really helps in a climate like ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: