U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:18 PM

16 posts, read 26,707 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with that community? I believe it is off the Suncoast. My sister is buying there, and I was wondering whether anyone had any thoughts. Seems like an awfully long commute to South Tampa (where she works).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 08:43 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,896,767 times
It is a VERY long commute, at least an hour or more depending on time of day. The expressway is bogged down from Linebaugh to Kennedy during rush hour, maybe even from Van Dyke.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,098 times
Longleaf isn't bad. They have a very active homeowners association.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:56 PM

169 posts, read 992,654 times
Longleaf is a highly connected "planned" neighborhood with a CDD bond that causes your taxes to be higher than average. But it is lovely esthetically. You are going to get to know your neighbors there - whether you like it or not - so you should like that type of connectivity.

It has a neighborhood pool/community center and it's evolved nicely over the last few years but the streets are very narrow (to slow traffic) there's very limited parking if you have guest and the floorplans of the homes are rather well designed so that you can not see out the sides of your home at your neighbors home, even though the set backs between homes is 8' from the property line (not a typo, that really is eight feet).

The neighborhood lighting is inadequate at night I think for a walk or a jog but the architecture is right out of "Leave it to Beaver"... if you like that sort of thing.

It is a long commute to s. Tampa. if you have to travel during typical peak times. At least 1 hour 10 min.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 6,458 times
As far as the community itself goes, it is very beautiful and family friendly. I have only heard great things about Longleaf. The commute is what it is - a sacrifice for those who can't afford to buy a large historic home in Hyde Park but absolutely love traditional neighborhoods. I just wish it were closer to South Tampa!!

Old 02-18-2008, 06:32 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,238,698 times
My husband and I drove through LongLeaf about two weeks ago. We didn't like the feel of it at all. The community tries to imitate "front porch" aesthetics. Everyone had the same rocking chairs or wicker loveseat. Okay, not exactly the same, but still that same old cookie cutter feel.

The streets are narrow which makes OSP in the tiny nooks even more weird looking, the garages are behind the homes in alleys and they don't appear to be attached. TEENY TINY yards, if any, and certainly no room for a pool, though my guess is there is a "no pool installation" rule in effect anyway.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:31 PM

89 posts, read 313,161 times
We looked at a house in Longleaf that we almost bought but it didn't have enough of a yard for our dogs. I don't believe they have CDD fees and several homes do have their own pools. I think, if you're looking for a true community feel, you'd be very happy there. I've also heard wonderful things about the school. Best of luck. Oh, by the way, the Suncoast isn't very far it's just down 54 a bit. I live in Odessa which is really close to the Suncoast and the airport is about 20 minutes away.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:47 PM

10 posts, read 61,234 times
My girlfriend and I looked at Longleaf several months ago and loved the community. The homes actually had front porches instead of ugly front garages like a lot of homes in Tampa. The neighborhood is pedestrian-friendly and nicely designed overall. As much as we liked the neighborhood and homes, Longleaf is in the middle of nowhere- SR 54 is totally rural and way too far from downtown Tampa.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:47 AM

254 posts, read 520,964 times
I looked at model homes in Longleaf about two years ago. The designs were really great, I thought. They were all different from the same old thing. However, they were very expensive (for me). The model I liked the most was well over $400K.

About a year later, I was driving by Longleaf one morning after having made a special trip to New Port Richey to drop off a relative. As I drove east on 54, I saw the line of cars waiting to exit Longleaf. They were backed up 20 or 30 cars or more in single file. So while archecture may be leaning towards tradtional small town, the actual community ends up suffering from the same old boring suburban sprawl tedium. The other thing is, I currently live in South Tampa and find all those new developments way out there just so empty and devoid of anything of merit or interest. I work in New tampa and loathe it. It's barren, sterile, congested and getting more congested. You could not blast me out of South Tampa.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:19 AM

12 posts, read 98,479 times
Default Look beyond Longleaf for more value for your buck

We live near Longleaf and found that buying close by afforded us more bang for our buck. Our home is located off of Starkey Blvd. amongst "older" subdivisions- but because our home was added on later (2003), our neighborhood is that new. We have lovely conservation in the back, as most of our neighbors do, which affords us privacy and wildlife abounds. Our HOA fees run under $300 per year and there are no CCD fees at all. We love that we are near Longleaf to enjoy it's quaint little down town shops (coffee, pizza, cigar bar, thrift store, hair salon, etc.) and also Starkey Wilderness Park- which is AMAZING and free (and dog friendly) and also are privy to the wonderful schools here. Although it's a 45 min. commute to Tampa, St. Pete/Clearwater, it's worth it to live in a quiet, lovely area. So, if Longleaf is "sort of" what you're looking for, look in the 34655 zip code to discover what else you may be missing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay