Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 01:10 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times

Advertisements

Even though it is super cold out, my eyes are starting to tell me pollen is on the rise. We must be getting to that time of year, as I am starting to have the itchies. I am so thankful that I only find it annoying, but easily controlled here. Back in NC, it was thick as dense fog and I was basically blinded with my eyes swollen shut and stuck together with goop. I used to have to pull my eyelids apart in the morning and parts of the day. At least here I just have to pop a couple cheap over the counter 4 hour pills.

Has anyone tried local honey, to get used to the pollen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 01:56 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Has anyone tried local honey, to get used to the pollen?
When I was a kid and lived down in the Willamette Valley of Oregon I used to have really bad pollen allergies every Spring. One year my older brother was tearing down a barn and came across a bees nest. He gave me some honeycomb to chew on and my allergies cleared right up!

Old 01-25-2016, 04:08 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
Yes. It alleviates some but not worst of symptoms. I can skip taking OTC allergy pills some days, but not all.

I buy local honey at weekly Tuesday Market in Gulfport.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:46 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Yes, I have been cutting back stuff in my back yard (very overgrown) and suffering terrible with sneezing and stuffy, runny nose. There is a coating of pollen all over my car these days as well.

NPG, I do remember when we briefly had a vacation home in Asheville, NC, I was ASTOUNDED at the amount of pollen that covered everything! It was like a nightmare. The trees are beautiful, but wow.....

My allergies are helped somewhat by living close to Sarasota Bay. Being by the coast seems to keep the air a little fresher/cleaner.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:12 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
Lived in DC-Metro for 30+ years and the pollen was very heavy in spring...but it let up as we went into summer and was gone all winter, usually.

But here in FL (and also in AZ and MX where we have also lived), my allergies are year-round, since there's always something in bloom or growing.

Also since we retired, I tend to my own gardening and am in the thick of it a lot of the time. But we love warm weather and will never move back to a cooler climate because of allergies.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:50 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
When I was a kid and lived down in the Willamette Valley of Oregon I used to have really bad pollen allergies every Spring. One year my older brother was tearing down a barn and came across a bees nest. He gave me some honeycomb to chew on and my allergies cleared right up!

I can agree with you on allergies in the Valley. When I lived in Portland I had one sinus infection after the other from allergies. I guess the Eugene area is the worst, or at least that was what I was always told.

I'm having allergies here in Florida. I also thought they would be better as the weather turned colder. I'm having the oppose effect, they are worst.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:24 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I can agree with you on allergies in the Valley. When I lived in Portland I had one sinus infection after the other from allergies. I guess the Eugene area is the worst, or at least that was what I was always told.

I'm having allergies here in Florida. I also thought they would be better as the weather turned colder. I'm having the oppose effect, they are worst.
Our tree pollen is starting now. It will get worse for the next couple of months. We just stocked up on ChlorTabs or something like that.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:29 PM

5,019 posts, read 7,224,561 times
The rain we had today helps get rid of some of the pollen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay