Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 08:31 AM

30 posts, read 53,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunedin View Post
You would have to try Dunedin or Safety Harbor they both have nice towns you can walk in. Dunedin is by the inter coastal waterway outside of Clearwater Beach, and has a nice town and a marina area, plenty of restaurants. It has the bike trail that runs from St Pete to Tarpon Springs and lots of things going on every weekend. Safety Harbor is a bit more quaint with a long stretch of town that runs down towards the Marina area. Both are nice. Personally, it is what you prefer. I seen you mentioned West Chase and out in that area, in my opinion there is not a lot to do there, just developments. That is the major thing you need to decide when you move to Florida. It took us a year and a half from South Jersey shore area to find this place and I have no regrets. The summers are hot, but its Florida you just need to adapt. I would love to help you out with your quest if you ever have any questions always feel free to ask.
Thanks Steve!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
Hi SaintCharlie,
I am a DC area transplant and have been here nearly 10 years. It was hard leaving family and friends but I can honestly say that my husband and I are now happy to have some distance from our family members. Your plan to visit and spend the holidays and have them visit is what we do and it works wonderfully for us! It took me YEARS to get used to living here and adjusting to the climate but if you can deal with many months of summer temps then I think you will be just fine. One thing I can never gripe about in Tampa is the QUALITY of life I have here and the escape from the DC rat race! I think you guys will be just fine! Best of luck to you!
Thank you so much! Hearing another DC native loving it there is definitely encouraging. We both love the heat and look forward to endless summer. Even 90+ degrees is great for us.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesebugle View Post
Lifetime DC resident (mainly NoVA) who moved down here in 2011. It's ok here. Not great, but ok. It definitely beats living up there on many fronts. We don't plan to stay forever, though. I had a huge post written on this, and my kid turned off my computer. Ugh. I'll try to summarize.

First, I would recommend visiting in summer before you move. Winter is great here. Summer is a different animal.

Westchase is nice, but it's overpriced and in a flood zone. Something to consider.

If you do decide to buy, have the home checked for chinese drywall if it was built in the 2000s (google it).

Like you, my entire family is up there. Moving 900 miles away was easy. Staying 900 miles away gets old, as does having to board a plane when we want to visit (we could drive, but after driving down I can think of many better ways to spend 14 hours). Now that we have a little one, it makes it even harder to be so far apart.

I know how miserable it can be in a DC winter. It's gray, cold, windy, and everyone has seasonal affective disorder. I would recommend a long vacation to somewhere warm first, then go back home and reassess. We had rose-colored glasses on when we visited (in winter, as well) and moved. It will wear off no matter where you go. I would advise more than anything to reassess your connection to family. If you honestly think you and your SO would be ok long term living so far from them, give it a shot.
Thanks for the words of advice. One positive about being from DC is that we know in the back of our minds, if Tampa doesn't work out, we can always return to DC. I've been to FL on vacations throughout my entire life. I have family in SoFla and Jacksonville. I have been through the summers and genuinely do not mind the intense heat. Thanks again!

Old 02-03-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Yeah I think if you are FROM that area, if you have your main family in that area, it's harder to see the benefits of staying here.

I was never from DC, or had family there. I never saw the place as anything more than a region with excellent job growth and a great place from which to take weekend trips to NYC.

Other than that, I was happy as a clam to get away from the traffic, the abysmal (yet very pricey) Metro system that is unreliable, the weather, the housing prices, etc. Life is just wayyyyy harder there than it has to be.

So to review:

DC pros:

Jobs
Proximity to Philly & NYC restaurants/shopping
Lots of nonstop flights from IAD and DCA

DC cons:

Extremely bad air quality/pollution/smog
Weekday traffic (getting stuck in your car for 8 hours on the Beltway when it snows is not uncommon)
Weekend traffic (wanna go to a museum or concert on the weekend? no way. Saturday and Sunday traffic is so bad you stay in your house for fear of getting stuck in gridlock. and subway has limited hours or is very slow on weekends so thats not an option)
Weather (ice storms, tornadoes, tropical storms, hailstorms, snowstorms -- you name it, they get it)
Spring pollen season
Astronomically expensive housing costs
Heating costs
Winter associated costs (extra clothing & shoes, ice melt, shovels, dry skin care, humidifiers, etc.)
Crowded stores, restaurants, you stand in line a lot
Lack of sun in winter and spring
If you take the car anywhere it costs an arm & a leg to park and you will be ticketed aggressively

Oh and the biggest negative of all: It's the No. 1 target of every terrorist on the planet.
I agree mostly with your assessment of DC, especially the traffic, cost, and winters. I don't find the extreme weather scenarios realistic though. In fact, I find the lack of frequent extremes here as one of the few positives. Thanks for the insight!

Old 02-03-2016, 08:44 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
"extreme weather not realistic"????

during the 13 years i lived in DC/NoVA, 1997-2010, i experienced:

---2 tropical storms, Gaston and Isabel, during Isabel we lost power for three days
---many many hailstorms, enough to cause damage to my car and gutters of my house (both required insurance claims)
---tornado warnings galore, none hit my home though, but close by yes
---snowstorms galore, including the presidents day weekend storm of 2003 that dumped 20 inches on DC
---way too many ice storms to count, we lost power during these as well

Old 02-03-2016, 08:59 AM

Yeah, NoVA is a different beast. I'm in MoCo MD and we tend to dodge the crazy stuff. We also don't lose power as easily as folks on Old Dominion power. Be that as it may, Tampa doesn't seem to have any major weather events. People associate hurricanes with FL, but my research shows that Tampa doesn't get much.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:21 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Tampa gets a lot of lightning and storms and we are in a lull as far as hurricanes go. But everyone is convinced that the Big One is coming any year now....

Old 02-03-2016, 10:09 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,550 times
Before moving to Tampa, you need long summer visits. It's rather different from December.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Before moving to Tampa, you need long summer visits. It's rather different from December.
I've spent many summer months in FL. As I said before, I have family in SoFla and Jacksonville. I have to assume the summers in Tampa are comparable to Jacksonville. In which case count us in. My wife is from South America and I love the heat. Heat is the least of my concerns. That's what the beautiful beaches and pools are for!

Old 02-03-2016, 11:38 AM

I guess that's where they got the name for the NHL team. Good info. Love meeting people that made the same switch from DC to TPA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay