Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 07:54 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,558,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
But ur drenched in sweat while doing so. Sounded nice tho. But you're drenched in sweat and getting eaten alive by mosquitoes while doing so.
Summer times are great. With the long days we have I get to do most of my gardening/yard work in the late morning early afternoon. It gives the body a good work out and a nice sweat. Then I can take a dunk in the cool tub and relax the rest of the day. By about 3 pm my back yard deck is filled with beautiful shade from my house as well as my amazing oak tree I planted 30 yrs ago just for that reason. Most all our cooking is done outside in our outdoor kitchen. Between my smoker, charcoal grill, gas grill, deep fryer, Griddle and propane stove, there is no reason to cook inside. I am not a big fan of screened in pool cages. I always felt like a bird in a cage inside one. Mosquitoes are so predictable in Florida, we can just about set or watches to them. By about 830 we have already finished eating dinner and the sun will just about be setting. That's when the little buggers come out, there are two things we do at that time. We could go inside at that time or jump into the cool tub with the jets on. By about an hour later ( two glasses of wine) its safe to come out and enjoy the rest of the evening. We stock our outdoor wine cooler with what we call our "Mosquito Wine".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 09:10 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,024,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Summer times are great. With the long days we have I get to do most of my gardening/yard work in the late morning early afternoon. It gives the body a good work out and a nice sweat. Then I can take a dunk in the cool tub and relax the rest of the day. By about 3 pm my back yard deck is filled with beautiful shade from my house as well as my amazing oak tree I planted 30 yrs ago just for that reason. Most all our cooking is done outside in our outdoor kitchen. Between my smoker, charcoal grill, gas grill, deep fryer, Griddle and propane stove, there is no reason to cook inside. I am not a big fan of screened in pool cages. I always felt like a bird in a cage inside one. Mosquitoes are so predictable in Florida, we can just about set or watches to them. By about 830 we have already finished eating dinner and the sun will just about be setting. That's when the little buggers come out, there are two things we do at that time. We could go inside at that time or jump into the cool tub with the jets on. By about an hour later ( two glasses of wine) its safe to come out and enjoy the rest of the evening. We stock our outdoor wine cooler with what we call our "Mosquito Wine".
Don't you know.... FL is the only place that has mosquitoes, roaches, spiders, flies, et al.

Soime people are so out of shape that they sweat going to take the trash out.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:02 AM

149 posts, read 144,014 times
I'm in relatively good shape, exercise about 5 times a week. By the end of the summer I am so sick and tired of sweating like a pig, I just pray for a cold front to swoop in.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:46 AM

30,172 posts, read 20,894,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Don't you know.... FL is the only place that has mosquitoes, roaches, spiders, flies, et al.

Wrong again. I am in 10 times better shape than most anyone and will sweat as soon as i walk out if we are in a reverse west windflow. As for bugs, i never see any where i live, in fact no wild life at all other than dillos that dig under the house.

Skeeters are never around my house as i get very little rain during the summer. I do get them no seeums once in a while before sunset since we live on the sawgrass.

We have two patterns during the summer. Our so called what used to be our normal pattern with a southeast windlfow is not as humid as our reverse west windflow that gives us a west wind day and nite.

Huge diff between the two patterns and who gets rain. 85% of our summer weather we are stuck in a reverse west windflow due to weather changes around the globe. Massive ice melt had change sub surface sea currents and displaced our summer time high pressure ridge where the asxis is south of the Tampa area.

Unlike the 1950's thru the 70's the ridge was placed north of the Tampa area giving us a southeast windflow.

Remember folks, it is a clockwise flow around high pressure, so if the axis is south of the Tampa area we will get a west wind 24/7 and that wind blowing off of nasty 90 degree gulf temps makes it feel so stuffy.

With the axis north of the Tampa area we get a east to southeast flow, this will heat up air and make it rise and allow a west coast seabreeze to blow in from under and along a line around Brandon the two winds meet and lift and will make for strong storms that build up east of the Tampa area and move toward the west coast.
With a reverse west windflow, we see small pop corn showers just offshore that die off in the AM hours, then they start to rebuild with the heating of the day around 12 to 30 miles inland and move toward the east coast.

This is why i never get much rain in the summer since i live on the gulf. Most people should know that the coast sees much less rain than places inland most of the time.

This is so easy to understand that anyone should know these simple facts. I live, eat and sleep weather 24/7 and know our local weather like no one else. Been doing this for near 40 years and see how much our weather has changed since the 70's.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:04 PM

30,172 posts, read 20,894,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesebugle View Post
Um, no. The insane, constant summer dewpoints we get down here are most certainly not the norm in America. Not to mention the UV index and the angle of the sun's rays. DC summers are a cakewalk compared to Tampa. Up there you may get a day with similar humidity and dewpoint. The difference is they're generally the exception to the rule, and will break with regularity. Down here, it's 5 straight months of sauna with no break.

Yeah, and some people are in shape but still sweat profusely. Like my friend who just escaped Tampa after 16 years. He and his wife are crossfit freaks. He sweats more than any human I've ever met in the summer.

I agree about the dewpoints. Seems we have a so called know it all that think they are right all the time. The springhill guy is flat out wrong about sweating. Don't have to be out of shape to sweat. You can thank our reverse west windflow for the insane dewpoints.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:36 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,024,514 times
Quote:
Um, no. The insane, constant summer dewpoints we get down here are most certainly not the norm in America. Not to mention the UV index and the angle of the sun's rays. DC summers are a cakewalk compared to Tampa. Up there you may get a day with similar humidity and dewpoint. The difference is they're generally the exception to the rule, and will break with regularity. Down here, it's 5 straight months of sauna with no break.

Yeah, and some people are in shape but still sweat profusely. Like my friend who just escaped Tampa after 16 years. He and his wife are crossfit freaks. He sweats more than any human I've ever met in the summer.
Yeah? So? Good for them. What I wrote was "Some people are so out of shape that they sweat going to take the trash out. " I would expect that people would sweat when exhilarate themselves.

FL is the most southern state in the CONUS. Who would not expect it to be among the hottest? Surprise - the closer you get to the equator the warmer it gets.

I dont see how people could relocate to FL and not expect warm temperatures and high humidity just like most of the south east U.S.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:00 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,835,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
ROTFL! Hardly. East facing lanai provides lots of shade, which keeps it plenty comfortable here on the lake, not far from the gulf. No skeeters around to try to get through the lanai screening either. And should one feel the slightest bit warm, a nice dip in the pool is just what the doctor ordered.

Skeeter spray, spf4500 and Rosetta Stone. All set.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post

Fla isn't the only place but definitely one of the worst when it comes to skeeters and sweating.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:

Did he not receive his FL welcome pack when he arrived 16 yrs ago? Beer, a grill, an umbrella and deodorant.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:08 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,338,775 times
The summer in FL is completely different. Most of America does have humidity, but it's not as bad as FL and doesn't last very long. I don't know how people in Florida do it...you walk outside to get the mail and you're sweating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay