U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:18 AM

29 posts, read 114,807 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone - my partner and I are both working professionals who own their own companies, and we are looking to relocate to the Tampa area. I grew up in Land O' Lakes and am itching to move away of the tundra (Minneapolis, MN). Its been years since I've explored the neighborhoods and burbs (hell when I lived there Land o lakes was was a spec on the map full of strip malls and marina shops). I'm hoping someone might have some insight as to some mixed neighborhoods that are kosher with gay couples living in them. We have been looking a bit at Carrollwood - but not sure.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 11:22 AM

3,126 posts, read 2,359,074 times
Hyde Park; Seminole Heights are two largest here. I live in Hyde Park -- it's got alot more to do and is closer to a lot of things. Seminole Heights (I lived there once) is more residential and is surrounded by really bad neighborhoods. I know plenty of people who live in Carrolwood and never mention any problems.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:59 AM

10,361 posts, read 17,065,293 times
In Seminole Heights there is a charming neighborhood near Lake Roberta that has a high percentage of gay/lesbian homeowners - years ago I knew some of the residents, it has a lot of charm.

Really I don't think you will encounter problems anywhere in the Tampa area. Old Carrollwood is nice, but I like South Tampa, and the old Seminole Heights areas better to the the old historic charm of those neighborhoods.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:23 PM

409 posts, read 1,043,498 times
St. Petersburg is a gay friendly city, especially Old NE and Kenwood neighborhoods. Those areas are diminated by the gays. I don't blame you for moving away from the tundra. I moved here from Eau Claire, WI (an hour east of you) a few years go.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:19 PM

192 posts, read 856,664 times
When I see a question about gay friendly neighborhoods, especially in this day and age of almost universal acceptance, what I read between the lines isn't whether or not gays would be welcomed in a particular community, but rather, do areas/neighborhoods exist that have a higher proportion of gays and lesbians than average. It certainly makes sense, because most people like to mingle with others that are like-minded.

Having said that, we do indeed have a thriving gay/lesbian population in south Tampa and, having lived here for 31 years while enjoying a positive rapport with my gay neighbors I've never heard about anything negative toward them, nor with any of the other gays I interact with in Tampa.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:32 PM

29 posts, read 114,807 times
Tonynorie - I am really glad to head you describe it as an age of almost universal acceptance and its great to hear that you've not come across any issues, but unfortunately I have a few friends that have had some poor experiences moving into areas that appeared fine until the religious right neighbor decided to proclaim that he and his partner were going to hell and posted signs (on their own lawn) to the effect. Which spurred a few under educated individuals to vandalize and threaten their well being. I'm ok with a mixed neighborhood, I prefer them - but I've found that education is the real key. The higher the education level in an area (though not in all cases) the more accepting they tend to be. I'm looking to head that possibility as much as possible by learning as much as possible about the various areas and the people in them.

Thanks - I really appreciate the info.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:25 PM

79 posts, read 265,955 times
I have to agree w/ what everyone else has said, but if you are looking toward Pinellas side, I would say, Gulfport, St. Pete(as mentioned before and of course Dunedin is very friendly. I would hope anywhere would be fine but I would say the more rural the more chance of problems. Hope you enjoy the warmth here in Florida, it was 72 degrees today

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessez View Post
Tonynorie - I am really glad to head you describe it as an age of almost universal acceptance and its great to hear that you've not come across any issues, but unfortunately I have a few friends that have had some poor experiences moving into areas that appeared fine until the religious right neighbor decided to proclaim that he and his partner were going to hell and posted signs (on their own lawn) to the effect. Which spurred a few under educated individuals to vandalize and threaten their well being. I'm ok with a mixed neighborhood, I prefer them - but I've found that education is the real key. The higher the education level in an area (though not in all cases) the more accepting they tend to be. I'm looking to head that possibility as much as possible by learning as much as possible about the various areas and the people in them.

Thanks - I really appreciate the info.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:24 PM

1,824 posts, read 5,797,637 times
In the city of Tampa, i'd suggest South Tampa area.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:02 AM

367 posts, read 1,171,547 times
Gulfport, Dunedin (but thats a bit older I think), V. north Clearwater Beach (Carlouel), St Petersburg (very cosmopolitan IMO), don't overlook boring looking neighborhoods, we have two gay couples in our very boring and ordinary subdivision and they have lived here a long time (there were 3, but our immediate neighbors moved when Eckerd closed down). There are not really any great kosher centers here, Clearwater and Palm Harbor between them have about the same number of Synagogues as St Pete has itself. Connections Magazine not sure if this link will help you more
Good luck with your search for a home.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:48 PM

3 posts, read 31,228 times
is port richey nice or section 8 peoples. my partner are from ohio moving to florida and dont know even if we should look at properties there?? any ideas.... thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay