Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 11:15 PM

21 posts, read 19,367 times

Advertisements

Hi, all--this April will be 12 years ago that we left Tampa for DC. Now considering a return so I'd appreciate any insights you might have to offer.

How would you say the broader area may have changed in the last 12 years, for the better and the worse?

What do you think of the real estate market? I know it's been on the upswing since the recession, but do you feel it's made a full recovery yet?

We previously lived in Seminole Heights and would likely want to return there. How would you say it is these days? How about the bordering neighborhoods?

I am a licensed REALTOR here in DC/MD/VA and would relocate my business there. If any agents see this, I'd appreciate chatting with you directly.

How would you characterize the job market for a mid-career professional in IT/system admin/broadcast engineering/cloud-based stuff?

Taco Bus is just as awesome as ever, I presume?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 07:23 AM

Thanks very much for responding!

Good to know an IT professinal's perspective. I'll pass this along. I'm not entirely sure I'm describing what he does accurately, but those are the buzzwords I hear most often.

We didn't find Seminole Heights particularly scuzzy when we lived there, but that's why I'm curious how things may have changed. It was always my favorite place to live in Tampa so we'd start our search there. Remember I'm coming from DC, so Tampa has to try real hard to show me anything I'd begin to consider scuzzy LOL. We often talk about how much more peaceful and well-maintained Seminole Heights was compared to what goes on in our neighborhood here.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:46 AM

I don't use terms such as low class. And I don't consider parts of DC to be "bad." Sure some are more desirable than others in terms of amenities and housing values, but it's all relative to an individual's experience. Especially given my profession, I cannot characterize bad v. good, safe v. unsafe (literally not allowed). Some of the most expensive real estate in the city is in SE and especially now with The Wharf development, in SW. I'd really prefer to focus on Tampa though as that's where we're looking to move.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:10 AM

Not really. But okay. I was just making a joke off of your comment. I'm here looking for information, not to parse arguments with random people on the internet. Thanks for your input on my questions, I welcome more, but please do not try to start off-topic arguments.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:06 AM

170 posts, read 233,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaDC View Post
I don't use terms such as low class. And I don't consider parts of DC to be "bad." Sure some are more desirable than others in terms of amenities and housing values, but it's all relative to an individual's experience. Especially given my profession, I cannot characterize bad v. good, safe v. unsafe (literally not allowed). Some of the most expensive real estate in the city is in SE and especially now with The Wharf development, in SW. I'd really prefer to focus on Tampa though as that's where we're looking to move.
Looks like we are trading places, I'm relocating to D.C. in April. I'm a twenty-something and lived in Seminole Heights when I relocated back to Tampa. Seminole Heights/Tampa Heights is becoming well known for its culinary scene, and is rapidly gentrifying with loft styled apartments, town homes, and new-build homesites. It is still one of my favorite neighborhoods in the Tampa Bay region due to its proximity to downtown and the overall vibe.

Definitely check between Highland, Ola st. Tampa Heights is a good alternative that is prime for development. Currently sits Ulele, and a public park for "Shakespere in the Park" etc. also river walk is extending + future condos, and urban village.

Good luck! You are relocating during an exciting time in Tampa Bay. Be cautious though FDOT is attempting to utilize the Robert Moses handbook by expanding the freeway for HOT Lanes ($6 bil project express toll lanes) and decimate our historic neighborhoods for exurb/suburban commuters.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:10 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjosephunf View Post
Be cautious though FDOT is attempting to utilize the Robert Moses handbook by expanding the freeway for HOT Lanes ($6 bil project express toll lanes) and decimate our historic neighborhoods for exurb/suburban commuters.
If a road damages a neighborhood, that neighborhood was unhealthy to begin with.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:19 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaDC View Post
We didn't find Seminole Heights particularly scuzzy when we lived there,
You'd have to be pretty sheltered to think Seminole Heights is "scuzzy" (if that means what I'm assuming it means. That's a pretty stupid word to begin with.).

Here's a new addition made to Tampa Heights (the park the poster above it referring to):

https://youtu.be/oKuaMvSp05g

Old 02-15-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesebugle View Post
That rather amateur video doesn't really do much to strengthen your side of the debate regarding the neighborhood. But that's fine. I'm sure that the area has cleaned up a bit since I was last through there.
I'm a bit curious about how my amateur video (I've never claimed to be pro, so thanks, I guess?) of a park in a neighborhood that neighbors the neighborhood you're talking about would either strengthen or destroy an argument. If one public park represented a neighborhood, I'm sure I could make Sulphur Springs look like LA.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:23 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfOWTxhR8nU

"Scuzzy."

Old 02-15-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesebugle View Post
Yep, the entire area is beautiful because of a handful of hipster bars and restaurants.
Can you enlighten me and show me an area of Tampa that has no ugly areas. I'll wait .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: