U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 741 times

Advertisements

hello

Does anyone have recommendations/experience with a plastic surgeon that can remove skin cancer on the face? Like using Moh's surgery or similar?
I've been to 1 doctor and 2 surgeons for consults... none of them has inspired any confidence. I'm scared to have someone cut into my nose if they dont know what they are doing. I feel like skin cancer on one's face would be an every day occurrence down here in Tampa, Florida but all of them regarded me as if i'm the first case they've ever seen. They'll do botox and boob jobs but real cancer? i get blank looks.

thanks so much for any help!
Mina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 03:49 AM

7,096 posts, read 3,457,793 times
Why are you looking for a plastic surgeon for cancer surgery???

Start here: Skin Cancer Foundation and search for doctors who specialize in skin cancer.
Physician Finder - SkinCancer.org

Old 02-16-2016, 08:19 AM

15,190 posts, read 31,132,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Why are you looking for a plastic surgeon for cancer surgery???

Start here: Skin Cancer Foundation and search for doctors who specialize in skin cancer.
Physician Finder - SkinCancer.org
Exactly. OP needs a regular surgeon or dermatologist who is also a surgeon trained in MOHS. Plastic surgeons are for reconstruction after.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:45 AM

6,587 posts, read 6,821,268 times
I had my basal cell (lower cheek) removed by Amy Ross MD at Palm Harbor Dermatology (Mohs surgery). She has an office in Eastlake/Palm Harbor(where I went) and an office in Brandon. She did a great job...have a small scar mostly hidden in normal facial folds...I expected it to be a lot more noticeable!

Old 02-16-2016, 11:40 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,049,611 times
You need a dermatologist who specializes in skin cancer, not a plastic surgeon. My husband's dermatologist suggested Dr. Bowman in the New Tampa area. He had the same cancer removed 8 years ago from the tip of his nose. You can't even see a mark. I know others who have gone to him and have been happy. He will keep you in his office until he looks under the microscope that cannot visualize any cancer cells on the edges of the slide. USF Physicians Group has a Moh's clinic, but I know they will have the patients leave and come back if the slide shows more skin cancer. If it were me, that is who I would go to.
Dr. Paul Bowman, Dermatologist in Tampa, FL | US News Doctors

Old 02-16-2016, 12:22 PM

6,587 posts, read 6,821,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
You need a dermatologist who specializes in skin cancer, not a plastic surgeon. My husband's dermatologist suggested Dr. Bowman in the New Tampa area. He had the same cancer removed 8 years ago from the tip of his nose. You can't even see a mark. I know others who have gone to him and have been happy. He will keep you in his office until he looks under the microscope that cannot visualize any cancer cells on the edges of the slide. USF Physicians Group has a Moh's clinic, but I know they will have the patients leave and come back if the slide shows more skin cancer. If it were me, that is who I would go to.
Dr. Paul Bowman, Dermatologist in Tampa, FL | US News Doctors
Yes I waited in office with the wound "open" while the dr made sure she got it all...then got the all clear and she sewed me up and sent me on my way...it really makes the process much easier...

Old 02-16-2016, 12:48 PM

5 posts, read 2,590 times
Although I've been browsing this forum for years, I joined just to tell you about my dermatologist. I've been going to Dr. Ron Perrott (Largo) several years. He specializes in skin cancer. I've had several bouts of skin cancer but after melanoma, I had to find the BEST. The one thing that one may not care for is the wait. I just think that he is saving lives and then I don't mind waiting. Great bedside manner, too.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 246 times
Try Dr. Buchanan. Amazing [url]https://www.vivifyps.com/[/url]

Old 04-25-2019, 12:27 PM

5,236 posts, read 3,010,111 times
Mohs surgery worked very well for me, but it was done when we were living in Arizona.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:32 AM

4,503 posts, read 6,576,347 times
I had Mohs surgery at USF, with a plastic surgeon the next day. Excellent......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or