Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 09:22 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times

Advertisements

Just more snake oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 12:08 PM

31 posts, read 31,985 times
Do you need to live in a house to install a softener/water filter or it works for a condo or apartment too? Anyone here who has a landlord installed a softener/water filter in his/her rental?

Old 02-20-2016, 06:23 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
We never saw any LL install a water softener. The rentals we manage that have a water softener all had them installed when owners lived at the property.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:35 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,240,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
Lowes has a 44,000 grain Whirlpool system for $497.00. They also will refer you to a local contractor to install it. I would image that would be another $300. I would think you can get it done for under $1,000.00.

Shop Whirlpool 44,000-Grain Water Softener at Lowes.com
Just to note, that's a softener only. Ideally one should also get a filter, but YMMV.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:56 AM

Thanks!

Old 02-21-2016, 12:52 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,237,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
After doing a little research and getting a couple quotes, I decided to bite it and went with Culligan. I could have went with a Sears, Lowes, Home Depot unit (they are essentially all the same) and had a plumber install and would have cost $1000-1300. I had local company come out and they quoted $1,300 for softener only and $1,700 with softener/filtration system. This was outside install and they were going to run a pipe underground for the regeneration run off. They would not run to street.

I had Culligan come out and the obviously leave LOTS of room for negotiation. They originally quoted more system than I was looking for and at $5,900 (crazy). At the end of it I let him know that price is more important than all the bells and whistles (don't need the reverse osmosis, wifi connectivity, etc). I was looking for softener and filtration system, plain and simple. He came back with $2,899 (let's say CRAZY once again). I showed him the other local company for $1,700 and without batting an eye he said if I was willing to pay that he'd be able to match the price. This was for Medalist Plus 10x54 (40,000 grain) system. The other units quoted were smaller (31,000 - 32,000 grain). They also ran piping to the street for the regeneration. In addition, Culligan also provides maintenance check (every 2 months) and free salt for a year.

I could have saved a few bucks but Culligan stood out with their warranty and went with a name brand vs. no name (lesser named) brand. Sears/Lowes/Home Depot units come with 1 year warranty, local company came with 5 years, and Culligan came with 5 years on the circuit boards, 10 years on control valves, brine valve and internal parts, and lifetime on the filtration resin. I figure with Culligan I'll be able to get parts for a much longer time than the other units as well.

That's my story and sticking to it. Good luck.
thats the same reasoning I had for buying, I guess it depends what your stating with for water. Ours is pretty bad (very high Iron) and their best units can barely do the trick - we have 2 different units which are maxed out on their regenerating/filtration ability and it just gets the job done.

If I wasnt stuck, I would go with the Kinetico unit. our neighbors have one and have less issues with service and water quality.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:40 AM

29 posts, read 36,292 times
I recently replaced mine and very happy with the 10 year warranty. It's not a digital system and most systems you buy from Home Depot, Lowes, Sears are one or two phase systems that last maybe 3 years (mine lasted 2.75 years)

I went with a company that's local in Land O Lakes after seeing the Culligan speel...and GE speel..

Advanced Water - Cost me $1,050 for a water conditioner and reverse osmosis drinking water tank in my kitchen... very happy with the the water now.

I had very hard water and the month or two I didn't have a system really was bad...

Call Tim or Judy - 727-641-5240 or 813-299-7167

Old 03-06-2016, 09:54 AM

A local told me that Dunedin has an reverse osmosis plant, so I need not worry about hard water, is that true? I find it a little hard to believe Dunedin can afford to spend so much money on reverse osmosis for the entire city... 24/7.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:10 AM

182 posts, read 170,706 times
Just to follow up on this... we ended up getting a Kenmore hybrid filter / water softener from Sears. So far so good... the installation went smoothly and the water quality has improved dramatically.

The search process, specifically getting info from plumbing companies - painful. It felt like I was working with Nebraska Ave used car salesmen rather than plumbing professionals. Water softeners, I assume, are pretty big profit centers for them based on the pitches we were given. But they came across as shysters trying to sell us overkill systems / features that wouldn't be true necessities unless we were running a hotel.

So hopefully the Kenmore works out. It has so far.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:14 AM

369 posts, read 843,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chap View Post
Just to follow up on this... we ended up getting a Kenmore hybrid filter / water softener from Sears. So far so good... the installation went smoothly and the water quality has improved dramatically.

The search process, specifically getting info from plumbing companies - painful. It felt like I was working with Nebraska Ave used car salesmen rather than plumbing professionals. Water softeners, I assume, are pretty big profit centers for them based on the pitches we were given. But they came across as shysters trying to sell us overkill systems / features that wouldn't be true necessities unless we were running a hotel.

So hopefully the Kenmore works out. It has so far.

Did you instantly notice a difference in your water and recommend the system you bought? How much was the installation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay