Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 11:13 AM

182 posts, read 118,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher23 View Post
If you are going to be a computer programmer, depending what language, you won't have trouble finding a job as it is in high demand and pays very well. I believe starting in the low $70k. That's definitely a livable wage
You are kidding yourself if you think starting wages for computer programmers in the Tampa area are 70K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 09:28 AM

356 posts, read 300,473 times
Hi:

Thank you all for your comments. As far as working harder, that method is not always successful. The old saying about being rewarded for working hard, is not always true. I am not saying one should be lazy at one's job, but, if you work really hard, and all you receive is "thanks," and no monetary rewards, that does not help you to pay your bills.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:05 AM

440 posts, read 592,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterLover2 View Post
You are kidding yourself if you think starting wages for computer programmers in the Tampa area are 70K
Notice how i said Depending on what language, some pay higher than others such as .NET or Java programmers, but either way, programming statistically pays very well here and pretty much anywhere, there are high demands for them.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:18 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,234,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post

As far as working harder, that method is not always successful. The old saying about being rewarded for working hard, is not always true. I am not saying one should be lazy at one's job, but, if you work really hard, and all you receive is "thanks," and no monetary rewards, that does not help you to pay your bills.
Suit yourself. If it came down to deciding who to promote, who to keep, who not to lay off, who to select for other projects or opportunities.....I'd lean toward the guy who goes the extra mile, not the guy who needs money as a motivator (all other things being equal).

Old 02-26-2016, 03:42 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,775,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Suit yourself. If it came down to deciding who to promote, who to keep, who not to lay off, who to select for other projects or opportunities.....I'd lean toward the guy who goes the extra mile, not the guy who needs money as a motivator (all other things being equal).
Good advice. Sometimes it takes time to see the benefit, but when it happens it's worth it.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:20 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,254,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Good advice. Sometimes it takes time to see the benefit, but when it happens it's worth it.
It is true in most jobs that a person who does not really exert himself usually rises to one position above his capabilities and then stays there. Those who do more and learn more as they progress, and rise higher.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:07 AM

14,824 posts, read 11,962,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I told my kids I would pay for their schooling through college...any graduate degrees are on them...my son has law school debt and my daughter will have medical school debt...between Bright futures and academic scholarships to offset their tuition I will have to repay about 25k in loans...not terrible but wish I had done Florida prepaid when we moved here in 97...
From our experience the FL prepaid programs are about the best deal going, if your kids will be expected to attend one of FL's public universities. The program also pays a percentage of the tuition/fees etc. at private schools ( equivalent to what it would pay for a FL public university). I know a lot of folks also poo-poo the idea of two year community colleges, but attending one to get the first two years required courses for a four year degree, then transferring to a four year university for the junior and senior years can have a lot of benefits, including saving some of those college expenses.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:42 AM

809 posts, read 739,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I know a lot of folks also poo-poo the idea of two year community colleges, but attending one to get the first two years required courses for a four year degree, then transferring to a four year university for the junior and senior years can have a lot of benefits, including saving some of those college expenses.
Glad to read that this advice is still as true today as it was when I went to college. I had a roommate that did 2 year CC, got all A's (and great personalized education) transferred into Cornell, worked hard for two years and then went to the best medical school at the time.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:11 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,558,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwilson80 View Post
Hello,

Me and my friend are in our late twenties, she's an attorney and I'mcurrently finishing up my degree for computer programming. Although we bothhave tons of experience with working in the corporate and/or office setting, wecannot seem to find jobs that pay enough to not worry about constantlybudgeting our money (please note that we are not broke nor livelavishly). Although I get money from being in school, I never touchthose funds because the jobs here are far and in between; not to mention, itseems like one big revolving door. Therefore, that being the main reason I donot touch those funds because I'll never know when another layoff is around thecorner. Not to mention, it seems most jobs here start you off at between$8-12/hr; however, the cost of living here is ridiculously overpriced.Nevertheless, I wanted to know from other people that live here and/or havemoved here from another state.

How exactly are you staying afloat with such high rental/ car insurancerates and low wages?

All you need to do is drive around the Tampa Bay area and see many homes in the 200K and up price range. For such a low wage state they seem to be doing ok. I have worked in the state of florida since 1975 with a High School education only. I have not made less then 50K since I was 24 yrs old working blue collar jobs. I would have to believe that those so called professional jobs should pay more. I have met quite a few young family's moving into those pretty new homes. Quite sure they were not making 12hr.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:47 AM

182 posts, read 118,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher23 View Post
Notice how i said Depending on what language, some pay higher than others such as .NET or Java programmers, but either way, programming statistically pays very well here and pretty much anywhere, there are high demands for them.
It does not matter what language you are programming, entry level programmer jobs are a dime a dozen and pay poorly. You will find that out when you move here.

Programming is completely a commodity now and you will find it's mostly all subbed out or contracted and you will be hard pressed to even find full time employment. (IE: not with a VAR or integrator of some kind)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: