U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 07:49 AM

10,028 posts, read 16,012,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annetoun View Post
I started getting bit every night about a month and half ago. At first I figured it was a mosquito...but have never seen one in the house. The bites started on my feet, toes, ankles then worked its way up to my legs...occassional bites on my hands. I thought it might be bed bugs so I washed all my bedding in hot water, throughout the mattress and moved to sleeping on the couch. I pulled my bed apart...inspected it from every angle looking for some sign of bed bugs but found nothing...no blood spots on the mattress or anywhere near it. When I moved to sleeping on the couch, the bites stopped for about a week or two. Its been a few weeks on the couch and this morning I woke up with a cluster of about 8 bites on my lower stomach, one on my arm and two on my leg! They itch like crazy! I don't know what these bites are...and can't afford to call the pest control. There are 4 adults living in this house and no one else is getting bit. I have a cat but he doesn't seem to have fleas because he doesn't scratch at all and he doesn't go outside. and if he did have fleas then other people in the house would be getting bit too I would assume. Does anyone have any advise or knowledge of what could be biting me?? I've also ruled out an allergic reaction because I stopped using the new static dryer sheets, thinking maybe it was that, but I'm still getting bit. Someone please help!!
Get a flea comb and comb your cat and just see if he has fleas. It sounds like fleas to me. And fleas can infest your house like crazy. Believe me, I know, because I have been down this road. Even a few fleas can multiply like crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 12:37 PM

19,449 posts, read 14,928,650 times
Some pics of the bite marks could be helpful in identifying the culprit.
Doing a Google image search may also identify the source.
Could be an allergic reaction to your new bed or sheets, manifesting in hives rather than bug bites.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:05 PM

3 posts, read 5,869 times
well, my cousin's girlfriend lives in an apartment in Toronto, ON and apparantly they've been hit hard with bed bugs...she got them. both her and my cousin got pretty bad bites from them...but their bites were much larger than mine. I showed the cluster of bites on my stomach to my Aunt (cousin's mom) and she doesn't think they are from bed bugs...which is a relief (except that I through my mattress out) but I'm thinking maybe it could be no see-ums or fleas maybe. its just so odd that the bites started on my feet, ankles and legs for the first couple of weeks....then when I moved to the couch and slept there for a week or so...suddenly woke up with a huge cluster of small bites on my stomach. I'm going to go to the doctor and see if she can tell what it is. I will be so happy to finally have a good night's sleep. Last night I went as far as trying to sleep in my car because there was no where else in the house to sleep since I through out my mattress! I hope everyone else on here that is having problems with bug bites finds a solution because I know how much of a nightmare this is for myself!

Old 08-26-2010, 10:11 PM

3 posts, read 5,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Get a flea comb and comb your cat and just see if he has fleas. It sounds like fleas to me. And fleas can infest your house like crazy. Believe me, I know, because I have been down this road. Even a few fleas can multiply like crazy.
Ok thanks I will do that. It's quite possible...I've done a bit of searching on line and they don't always bite everyone in the house. And even though my cat doesn't go outside, maybe they are latching on to my pants when I come home and walk passed the bushes beside the driveway. Don't cats normally scratch if they have fleas though? Anyway, I will check with the comb and see...

Old 08-27-2010, 07:32 AM

10,028 posts, read 16,012,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annetoun View Post
Ok thanks I will do that. It's quite possible...I've done a bit of searching on line and they don't always bite everyone in the house. And even though my cat doesn't go outside, maybe they are latching on to my pants when I come home and walk passed the bushes beside the driveway. Don't cats normally scratch if they have fleas though? Anyway, I will check with the comb and see...
Some cats do, and some don't (scratch) Fleas and eggs can be getting into your furniture. I am willing to bet fleas is your problem, from everything you describe. And yes, you bring fleas in from outside. As I said before, it doesn't take many to start a real infestation.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:37 AM

23 posts, read 31,140 times
Sounds like fleas. If you have a cat and don't use flea control, even if it is a house cat, you likely have fleas.

I had a roomate who had a full blown flea infestation, and was never bitten, while I was eaten alive.

No see ums are a possibility, too.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,062 times
taking garlic pills also help.i also sprayed my screens with alcohol and cleaned the furniture with it.i am always vacuuming.i live in LA where there are lots of pigeons.i somehow feel mites have flown thru my window off of them.they are flying RATS!

Old 08-14-2014, 02:14 AM

1 posts, read 101 times
I have bug bites on my legs and I can feel them biting my back. At first it was in the rec room after removing carpet following a sump pump backup. Now it is in the bedrooms. I had the carpets removed from the bedrooms and have sprayed for mites. Bites take place while I am on the computer and that room has no carpeting.
I have not had a good night sleep for 2 weeks; help!!!!!

Last edited by BG1046231; 08-14-2014 at 02:16 AM.. Reason: additional information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay