Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 06:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,290 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are young,(25) and looking to leave the city of Miami. It is just not the right place for us, for a few reasons.

I am a general contractor and she is a CPA. I will be looking to startup a contracting business wherever I move, and I have heard some good things about Tampa.

We enjoy outdoorsy activities, mostly fishing. We are looking for a home in the $400k-500k range as close to the water as that can get us (hoping for a dock) and good schools for our future family.

We are looking at Tampa as a possible place to live and wondering if anyone has lived or is familiar with both cities--and if Tampa is similar or different from Miami...(Culture, Language, Quality of people, traffic, our main issues).

Thanks,
LG

Last edited by larrygmiami; 03-12-2016 at 06:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 08:24 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Think you best look at the main reasons? if want to start a family- Tampa is a kid place- its is a BIG town not a city

Old 03-14-2016, 03:26 PM

121 posts, read 176,867 times
Tampa is day and night from Miami. I used to live in Ft Lauderdale in my 20s.... loved it... moved to Tampa to raise my kids though. There is SO much to do here and it is very family friendly, but a much slower pace than Miami. If you don't speak Spanish, no worries since English is the 1st language here. The water in the southern part of Tampa is the Bay. If you want a dock off or near the Gulf, you will need to move to Pinellas county, which is next door to Tampa. I would stay away from Pasco County, which is north of Pinellas (there is a reason why it is a lot cheaper up there). You may like the South Tampa area, which is very nice and has excellent schools, but for a dock and good schools you might want to check out Palm Harbor and Safety Harbor.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:23 PM

21 posts, read 21,820 times
Love this question! Having been born and raised in Miami and now live in St Pete there is a huge difference. Still have lots of family in Miami so we visit there frequently but am always happy to return home. Much less crowed, less traffic and fewer language issues but just as many great shops, restaurants, museums, cultural events and all around great things to do here. The beaches are just as pretty on the Gulf and the sand quality is much finer. Just driving over the Sunshine Skyway, you realize how beautiful the area is. Price range will get you near the water in some areas and close to the water in many other areas. Coming to the west coast was the best decision ever. Kids raised here and now in college but love coming back to what has always been home for them!

Old 03-22-2016, 02:14 AM

383 posts, read 343,470 times
Hello to everyone! I`m reading this topic with a pleasure! I`ve never been neither Miami nor Tampa. My sister live in Miami and told me that she had some troubler with parking along the coastline! Not enouth free parking places or expensive fee. What about in Tampa (St.Pt) with it? Are there free places to park the car?
Also want to ask about renting - where is the cheaper comparing Miami suburb or Tampa/St-Pete suburb?
Finally - where is colder in Summer, west or east coast?

Old 03-22-2016, 09:05 AM

149 posts, read 145,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsik View Post
Hello to everyone! I`m reading this topic with a pleasure! I`ve never been neither Miami nor Tampa. My sister live in Miami and told me that she had some troubler with parking along the coastline! Not enouth free parking places or expensive fee. What about in Tampa (St.Pt) with it? Are there free places to park the car?
Also want to ask about renting - where is the cheaper comparing Miami suburb or Tampa/St-Pete suburb?
Finally - where is colder in Summer, west or east coast?
If you go to downtown Tampa or St Pete you're going to experience the same problem. Any popular beach you will have to pay no matter what. There are small spots where you might get free parking but you have to be a local to find out. Also Tampa might be slightly a couple degrees lower in the summer but it won't make a difference. It gets so hot during the summer you wouldn't be able to decipher whether miami is hotter or not.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:09 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
I am a Miami native, born and raised. And I have lived in Tampa for 10 years. Here's what you need to know:

Tampa is much smaller than Miami in many ways. That can be good and that can be bad.

How it's good:

English is the main language
Slower pace
Cheaper
Less traffic
Fewer people/crowds when you go to places like Starbucks or Publix or get on the freeway
Less hot (fewer hot months than Miami)
You can get through the airport or DMV office pretty quick, b/c there's just a lot fewer ppl here

How it's bad:

Fewer restaurants, which means less competition, which means fewer GOOD restaurants (Miami nowadays has amazing eateries and the Food Network Food/Wine Festival (and many other world class festivals; Tampa does not attract world-class festivals like that, it's too small)
Fewer flights out of the airport (for example, there's a lot more flights in general and nonstops out of MIA than TPA)
More expensive flights (for example, it is cheaper to fly from MIA to ATL than it is to fly from TPA to ATL even though Tampa is obviously closer to Atlanta than Miami)
Fewer things to do (Miami has so many entertainment districts, Tampa has one: Ybor and no, Pinellas County doesn't count; when you go to Ybor and compare it to Coconut Grove or Midtown or the Design District or the Gables or Wynwood or any other the other myriad entertainment districts in Miami, you will laugh at Ybor)
Lower wages/incomes (this may affect your income as a contractor; there's A LOT fewer wealthy people here willing to spend millions on their homes)
Tampa has a less educated populace than Miami, so if "quality of people" is a factor, as you said in your post, realize that if you move to Tampa you may not be improving on this front
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...reas.html?_r=0

DO NOT believe anyone who tells you that Tampa and Miami are comparable when it comes to restaurants, shopping, nightlife. That is just a BOLD FACE lie. Miami blows Tampa away in these categories. Miami has become a world-class destination with world-class amenities (like a truly international airport, a truly international working port, several 5-star resorts, etc.), worthy of being included in lists that include Paris, Berlin, New York, etc. Tampa is not. Tampa doesn't even have ONE 5-star property in the entire area. If you want to go to a 5-star hotel, you will need to go to Sarasota.

That said, I would never in a million years move back to South Florida. Every time I go back down there I am reminded of why.

Last edited by sinatras; 03-22-2016 at 01:22 PM..

Old 03-22-2016, 01:39 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I am a Miami native, born and raised. And I have lived in Tampa for 10 years. Here's what you need to know:

Tampa is much smaller than Miami in many ways. That can be good and that can be bad.

How it's good:

Slower pace
Cheaper
Less traffic
Fewer people/crowds when you go to places like Starbucks or Publix or get on the freeway
Less hot (fewer hot months than Miami)
You can get through the airport or DMV office pretty quick, b/c there's just a lot fewer ppl here

How it's bad:

Fewer restaurants, which means less competition, which means fewer GOOD restaurants (Miami nowadays has amazing eateries and the Food Network Food/Wine Festival (and many other world class festivals; Tampa does not attract world-class festivals like that, it's too small)
Fewer flights out of the airport (for example, there's a lot more flights in general and nonstops out of MIA than TPA)
More expensive flights (for example, it is cheaper to fly from MIA to ATL than it is to fly from TPA to ATL even though Tampa is obviously closer to Atlanta than Miami)
Fewer things to do (Miami has so many entertainment districts, Tampa has one: Ybor and no, Pinellas County doesn't count)
Lower wages/incomes (this may affect your income as a contractor; there's A LOT fewer wealthy people here willing to spend millions on their homes)
Tampa has a less educated populace than Miami, so if "quality of people" is a factor, as you said in your post, realize that if you move to Tampa you may not be improving on this front
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...reas.html?_r=0

DO NOT believe anyone who tells you that Tampa and Miami are comparable when it comes to restaurants, shopping, nightlife. That is just a BOLD FACE lie. Miami blows Tampa away in these categories. Miami has become a world-class destination with world-class amenities (like a truly international airport, a truly international working port, several 5-star resorts, etc.), worthy of being included in lists that include Paris, Berlin, New York, etc. Tampa is not. Tampa doesn't even have ONE 5-star property in the entire area. If you want to go to a 5-star hotel, you will need to go to Sarasota.

That said, I would never in a million years move back to South Florida. Every time I go back down there I am reminded of why.
Why doesn't Pinellas cty count? I believe the newly opened Opal on CLW Beach is a 5 star hotel, also the Wyndam being built and the existing Hyatt Regency..I view Pinellas as part of Tampa Bay. Maybe there's more..

To be objective, Miami is not yet on the same level as NYC, Paris.. it's an Alpha minus city..

Alpha, Beta and Gamma cities (updated 2015) | Experience cities like a local!

It's a good thing that Tampa and Miami are not comparable..each has its pros and cons.. TB better to raise family, cleaner, less crazy... Miami more vibrant, amazing skyline/development, lots of weirdos...

I much prefer Broward or Palm Beach counties, but those are not Miami, right? I also prefer the Atlantic for water activities...though the Gulf is not bad..

Old 03-22-2016, 08:20 PM

238 posts, read 576,314 times
@Trigger-f: How about downtown West Palm Beach and it's surrounding area vs Tampa area? Would be curious about your impressions with that comparison (including things to do)....I was trying to decide which one of those i might prefer to move to and always like to hear impressions from those who are familiar with the both areas...

Old 03-23-2016, 06:35 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Why doesn't Pinellas cty count? I believe the newly opened Opal on CLW Beach is a 5 star hotel, also the Wyndam being built and the existing Hyatt Regency..I view Pinellas as part of Tampa Bay. Maybe there's more..

To be objective, Miami is not yet on the same level as NYC, Paris.. it's an Alpha minus city..

Alpha, Beta and Gamma cities (updated 2015) | Experience cities like a local!

It's a good thing that Tampa and Miami are not comparable..each has its pros and cons.. TB better to raise family, cleaner, less crazy... Miami more vibrant, amazing skyline/development, lots of weirdos...

I much prefer Broward or Palm Beach counties, but those are not Miami, right? I also prefer the Atlantic for water activities...though the Gulf is not bad..
Pinellas doesn't count b/c the OP is asking about Miami vs. Tampa. So Tampa must be judged on its own merits, sans Pinellas. In Miami you don't have to go to Miami Beach (the equivalent to Downtown St Pete etc.) to have a good time. Miami in and of itself has many many entertainment districts. Tampa only has Ybor, end of story.

If the hotel has the words Hyatt or Wyndham attached to its name, it's not a 5 star hotel. The Opal is also NOT a 5 star hotel. Let me tell you what a 5 star hotel is: It usually has the name Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental or Ritz Carlton attached to it. Or it may be a Relais & Chateaux property. Like I said, THERE IS NO 5 STAR HOTEL IN TAMPA BAY. The fact that people in Tampa think a Hyatt is a 5 star hotel is part of the problem as to why.........We need to aim higher than a Hyatt, people!

You may not think Miami is on the same level as Paris and NYC, but Miami is where all the people from NYC and Paris go for vacation (They don't go to St. Pete or Tampa). You ride the NYC subway or the Paris Metro and all you hear about among the locals is Miami this, Miami that. I travel to NYC and Paris frequently so I would know.

Like I said in my previous post, Miami attracts world-class events, investors, wealth, tourism dollars. Tampa does not.

Last edited by sinatras; 03-23-2016 at 06:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay