Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 04:30 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times

Advertisements

Reminder: Left lane is for passing only - Story | FOX 13 Tampa Bay

Starting to see more and more of it.

Haven't seen it enforced though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 09:02 AM

149 posts, read 145,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Reminder: Left lane is for passing only - Story | FOX 13 Tampa Bay

Starting to see more and more of it.

Haven't seen it enforced though.
That law is tricky because yes you are impeding the flow of traffic but you can always claim you are slowing down to get into a left turn lane or turning into a plaza or neighborhood, which they can't cite you for. Also, if you are going too fast in a passing lane you can be cited for that as well if you are caught speeding (that would mean not going with the flow of traffic)making this rule somewhat of a catch 22; its completely up to the discretion of a police officer and I would think most of them aren't even sure. The law is kind of a mess and is hardly ever enforced really.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:37 AM

167 posts, read 164,988 times
This law doesnt apply to 2 lane avenues in residential neighborhoods FYI to all the idiots out there that think it does and have no problem going 15,20 over when kids are playing.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:20 AM

149 posts, read 145,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famalam View Post
This law doesnt apply to 2 lane avenues in residential neighborhoods FYI to all the idiots out there that think it does and have no problem going 15,20 over when kids are playing.
Yeah, people who do that should be arrested on the spot.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:35 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
They usually publicize it first and then start the enforcement.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:21 AM

182 posts, read 170,706 times
Yeah, there's zero enforcement of this law. I'd like to see an article that provides some stats on how many tickets/ warnings have been issued.

Officer confusion may be a factor. It involves a judgement call rather than the usual "point radar gun, write ticket" scenario.

But either way, I'd like to start seeing people get pulled over. Even if you don't write a ticket, or can't make a definitive judgement based on the driver's excuse, at least people start to get warned, word spreads, and the issue is less rampant.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:45 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
Pair this with increased speeding enforcement and it'll be a winner.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:06 AM

167 posts, read 164,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chap View Post
Yeah, there's zero enforcement of this law. I'd like to see an article that provides some stats on how many tickets/ warnings have been issued.

Officer confusion may be a factor. It involves a judgement call rather than the usual "point radar gun, write ticket" scenario.

But either way, I'd like to start seeing people get pulled over. Even if you don't write a ticket, or can't make a definitive judgement based on the driver's excuse, at least people start to get warned, word spreads, and the issue is less rampant.
Is it just me or has HSCO (and to an extent TPD) just not enforce traffic like they used to even 5, 10 years ago? Do they have enough manpower? The only time I see speed traps now its usually Highway Patrol. Although I still see a decent Pinellas presence when im over there. I have seen people speed and commit obvious traffic infractions in front of the HCSO and im like "oh boy here we go" and nothing (a buddy of mine told me that over 1/2 of all cops on the road are not traffic related, not sure if true or not.) Just an observation on my part. Maybe with over 1.2 million people in the county they just dont have enough to be out there every day worried if some old bastard is driving 5 under in the left lane.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
I only consider this aspect of driving out on the interstate, every one knows the left lane is for passing,if some one wants to sit in that lane and hold every one up or prevent them from passing they have control issues, i agree they should be ticketed but as said before its rarely enforced.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:43 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishbu123 View Post
That law is tricky because yes you are impeding the flow of traffic but you can always claim you are slowing down to get into a left turn lane or turning into a plaza or neighborhood, which they can't cite you for. Also, if you are going too fast in a passing lane you can be cited for that as well if you are caught speeding (that would mean not going with the flow of traffic)making this rule somewhat of a catch 22; its completely up to the discretion of a police officer and I would think most of them aren't even sure. The law is kind of a mess and is hardly ever enforced really.
No catch 22, the law is clear. Left lane is for passing. You can't speed beyond the posted limit (of course they won't stop you if you are <9mph over the posted) just for the sake of passing. If you can't pass a car while going posted to posted +9mph, then you don't need to pass them. That means the right lane traffic is in good flow. I don't know why people want to be in from but if the right lane is at posted limit or a little over, why do you need to pass them in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay