Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 06:06 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,687,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinak26 View Post
Well, there are bad schools and there are good schools, I would never want my kids to go to a school where majority of children are from the ghetto. I used to live in Trumbull, CT and graduated from Trumbull High. Next door to Trumbull there was Bridgeport, and Im sure a lot of you have heard about Bridgeport and its popularity. So I would never want to live in a town that is anywhere close to being like Bridgeport.
Basically what we're looking at is a nice family friendly town with good schools around, also our baby hasn't even been born yet, but both of us have been moving around the country so much that we want to spend at least next 10 years at the same place. So we are looking how good the schools are. We love the beach, so we want to be close to the beach. We both 26, so we don't want to live in a retirement community either. Both of us are going more towards FL, I used to live in St. Augustine before, but it gets CRAZY crowded there over the holidays. So far I've heard good things about Carrollwood, Wesley Chapel and Palm Harbor, so we definitely we'll be checking those places out when we take a road trip down that way some time in August.
I am in Wesley chapel from Boston moved here 16 years ago. The traffic is bad but try 128 in Boston Lando lakes is good also. prices also are going up and Florida does not pay high wages.

Florida has beaches but try to get insurance also in summer it rains and is not the best beach time. Have you checked out cape cod and beaches which also are great

Last edited by maggiekate; 04-05-2016 at 06:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 09:29 AM

82 posts, read 70,247 times
School wise, plain and simple.... SC schools are horrible. Maybe not the school itself, but if you look at the school grades and where the education compares to FL it's a huge difference. It's normally always in the last 5 out of 50 states I was born and raised in the suburbs of Charleston. Things have changed since I moved away in 2000. It's overpopulated, now. Seriously overpopulated. There is only 1 interstate going east to west and it's a parking lot during rush hour. Don't get me wrong, Charleston is BEAUTIFUL and I really love visiting my family every year, but I would never move back. I don't know where they keep finding the space to build everything they are building.

We are in IN and have been for the past 10 years, before that we were in Green Bay, WI and before that 30 miles north of Jacksonville and before that the Charleston area. I've seen all the 4 seasons that I can take. I loathe snow and can't wait to move to the Tampa area in 2 months.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:10 PM

11 posts, read 10,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
I am in Wesley chapel from Boston moved here 16 years ago. The traffic is bad but try 128 in Boston Lando lakes is good also. prices also are going up and Florida does not pay high wages.

Florida has beaches but try to get insurance also in summer it rains and is not the best beach time. Have you checked out cape cod and beaches which also are great

I dont want to move anywhere where there are 4 seasons and cape cod has all 4 of them, its only nice over the summer.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:11 PM

11 posts, read 10,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColS View Post
School wise, plain and simple.... SC schools are horrible. Maybe not the school itself, but if you look at the school grades and where the education compares to FL it's a huge difference. It's normally always in the last 5 out of 50 states I was born and raised in the suburbs of Charleston. Things have changed since I moved away in 2000. It's overpopulated, now. Seriously overpopulated. There is only 1 interstate going east to west and it's a parking lot during rush hour. Don't get me wrong, Charleston is BEAUTIFUL and I really love visiting my family every year, but I would never move back. I don't know where they keep finding the space to build everything they are building.

We are in IN and have been for the past 10 years, before that we were in Green Bay, WI and before that 30 miles north of Jacksonville and before that the Charleston area. I've seen all the 4 seasons that I can take. I loathe snow and can't wait to move to the Tampa area in 2 months.

Thank you so much for the info, SC and NC are definitely out of any considerations. FL it is!.... I envy you for moving there in just 2 months!! lol

Old 04-06-2016, 09:07 PM

82 posts, read 70,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinak26 View Post
Thank you so much for the info, SC and NC are definitely out of any considerations. FL it is!.... I envy you for moving there in just 2 months!! lol
You're welcome. Hope you get to FL sooner than later. It can't come fast enough for me.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:46 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,449,016 times
I'm a FL native and I'd pick NC in a heartbeat. Now I'm in the mood for some James Taylor!

Old 04-20-2016, 06:06 AM

5 posts, read 5,419 times
I've been in Florida for 16 years. My whole family lives here, we have a ton of friends, but I think I would move tomorrow given the right opportunity. We've thrown around Charlotte, but haven't been there yet to check it out. If you have a high housing budget ($400K+), you can find a decent home in the Carrollwood, Lutz, and possibly Westchase area. Keep in mind that property taxes and insurance are higher than NC. We have a home valued at $450K and pay almost $6K in taxes and another $2K in insurance. You get a lot more for your money farther out from Tampa, but that hasn't been a consideration for us due to commute and proximity to our family.

I'm tired of the heat & humidity (although you don't seem to mind it), the mosquitoes, need for year round pest control, the lack of scenery except at the beach, constant road construction, traffic, and the high COL. No state tax is a definite plus...

Just wanted to give you another perspective...

Old 04-20-2016, 11:37 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,118,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyjunki View Post
I've been in Florida for 16 years. My whole family lives here, we have a ton of friends, but I think I would move tomorrow given the right opportunity. We've thrown around Charlotte, but haven't been there yet to check it out. If you have a high housing budget ($400K+), you can find a decent home in the Carrollwood, Lutz, and possibly Westchase area. Keep in mind that property taxes and insurance are higher than NC. We have a home valued at $450K and pay almost $6K in taxes and another $2K in insurance. You get a lot more for your money farther out from Tampa, but that hasn't been a consideration for us due to commute and proximity to our family.

I'm tired of the heat & humidity (although you don't seem to mind it), the mosquitoes, need for year round pest control, the lack of scenery except at the beach, constant road construction, traffic, and the high COL. No state tax is a definite plus...

Just wanted to give you another perspective...
FYI..... Charlotte ranks among the worst in U.S. when it comes to mosquitos | WSOC-TV

"One fact about North Carolina that no one likes is that pest problems continue year-round. However, the type of pests and their method of entry into your home can change as temperatures drop. This can make for some uncomfortable surprises at first, but the good news is that winter pests, once spotted, can be controlled."

"North Carolina’s Winter Pests

The most common pests customers call about during the cold months include the following:

Termites
Stink bugs
Wildlife (rodents, rats, mice, squirrels, raccoons, possums)
Small wood pests (spiders, ants, roaches, beetles, flies)

Due to unusual weather patterns and the warmer fall North Carolina is experiencing, summer pests are also expected to stick around longer than is typical this year. This also includes termites, which tend to stay active year-round when temperatures are warmer than normal."
https://www.cleggs.com/news/are-inse...orth-carolina/

"Engineering & Property Management staff manage the design and construction of more than 200 capital improvement projects in Charlotte valued at over $400 million."
Transportation Projects

Change the values below and refresh listing to view the comparison.

City you are moving from: Tampa, FL

City you are moving to: Charlotte, NC

Enter your current income:$50000

Equivalent income in the city you are moving to: $52620.09.
Percent increase to maintain standard of living: 5.24%.

Cost of Living Calculator - Cost of Living Comparison Index Tool

Old 04-20-2016, 03:37 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,408,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I'm a FL native and I'd pick NC in a heartbeat. Now I'm in the mood for some James Taylor!
That's what I did! Love it here in Raleigh.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:47 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,350 times
NC, SC and North FL are filled with stupid ignorant Bible-thumping rednecks. There is nothing to do... its much better in California, Colorado, Massachusetts or NYC.. And the Southern accents are horrible.. So run away don't even think of moving to ANY of those states... except maybe Asheville.

OK that is out of the way...

AND JUST TO BE CLEAR THIS POST IS SARCASTIC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay