Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2016, 10:03 AM

19 posts, read 42,831 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are a long term lesbian couple looking to move to Pinellas County. I am retired and my partner is not and will most likely work in Tampa after we have taken a few months off first. We were looking to buy a home in St. Pete and I love the downtown area as well as beaches but we were getting nervous about actually buying somewhere and it ending up being too big a commute to Tampa so we have come upon the idea of buying in a mobile home park. Then in a few months we would know what area we needed to be in and could buy a home and rent out the mobile home or sell it.
We probably would go for the 55+ communities since we are 55 and 58 but honestly we know nothing of mobile homes so any insight would be appreciated. I know how to buy a home as we have bought several over the years but I have no idea how to buy a mobile home and what if any differences there are. I have read enough to know that there is Lot Rent. But I don’t know much else.
Can anyone comment on which mobile home parks are closest to the beaches? We don’t necessarily need to live around other lesbians (although it would be nice!) but we need to know that we would not be discriminated against. We love to go to the beach and out to eat but other than that we are homebodies with our kitties and just have no idea what to expect in these communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 10:07 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
if you use google maps and set to satellite, you probably can search out areas that interest you get get you started.....then check out crime stats in that areas ----might even find websites for the specific community......would help you but I'm not familiar with Pinellas.....there is a very nice manufactured home community between Tampa and Bradenton called Imperial Lakes - I believe it is over 55. Looks very orderly and the commute to Tampa isn't terribly long.....

http://www.imperiallakesestates.com/home.asp

Old 05-01-2016, 11:12 AM

Thanks so much, BucFan. I will check that out as well as get on google maps.
I was there a couple of weeks ago and loved Tampa but I really want nearest the beach.
I am a Charger Fan but I guess I can become a BucFan since you guys got Vincent Jackson from us!!
When I was driving around I kept seeing the lightening bolts yard signs for hockey and I felt right at home thinking of my Chargers!!

Old 05-01-2016, 02:03 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,255 times
Many 55+ mobile home parks prohibit renting. Drive thru a few and you'll see the differences.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:23 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,077,659 times
Quite a few 55+ do allow rentals, but they are often long term leases. My uncle owns a home in a resident owned (land as well as unit) in Clearwater on the bay - he rents it to winter visitors, so they do exist. If your partner is definitely thinking of working in Tampa - is that because of a particular place of work - or is that flexible - then its worth knowing that its not that bad to drive there. It is hard to determine whether to advise one way or another without knowing much about that side of your plans. St Pete to Tampa is 30 mins or thereabouts from the Highway to Tampa downtown. St Pete is a great, friendly and diverse city, but really most people here are very accepting of any and everyone, so long as they are not crazy, noisy, dangerous etc LOL.
We live in a very average subdivision in Seminole, close to the beaches and have to my knowledge 3 single gender couples as neighbors, I dont know everyone, even after living here for 16 yrs and being on the HOA board - because folks are friendly but not in your face. If you plan to stay here, dont saddle yourself with a mobile home you will sell on later and maybe not do as well as when you paid for it, because unlike houses, they rarely increase in value. Buy a condo maybe, at least you will probably recoup your funds from that, or rent a condo for a while. Read todays Tampa bay Times about rental market being pretty hot and many folks renting instead of buying. This drives up rents of course. Then there is an article about folks reducing homes, to get them sold because they were often times not selling due to price. Its a find balance now between value of buying or renting I would say.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:41 PM

Thank you, I had not thought of that. Will check it out.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:57 PM

29 posts, read 22,919 times
As to areas...I have been to visit my sister in St. Pete a billion times and have fallen in love with Gulport. Check it out....it's heaven.

Best of luck to you and your partner on your journey and search.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:05 PM

554 posts, read 976,943 times
I looked at one last week in north St. Pete. It would be about 15-20 min to the beach and about 10 min to the bay. They had a few units for sale and also did rentals. They were also pet friendly. It was called Village Green. On 83rd ave and 20th Street. It looked quiet and well kept up.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:52 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,163,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterjohn View Post
I looked at one last week in north St. Pete. It would be about 15-20 min to the beach and about 10 min to the bay. They had a few units for sale and also did rentals. They were also pet friendly. It was called Village Green. On 83rd ave and 20th Street. It looked quiet and well kept up.
We've been considering this very same purchase or rental. I wonder if the OP found one by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay